Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rear camera stopped working after upgrade to iOS 9

updated to iOS 9 on my iPhone 5. once completed the rear (main) camera shows only a black screen. the front facing camera seems to work fine. other apps don't seem to be able to use the rear camera. There is also a warning symbol when tapped declares the flash cannot be used because the iPhone is too hot. My phone seems to be at room temperature. Also the flashlight does not work. I noticed the warning symbol doesn't appear (after a phone restart) until I switch to the front camera and back to the rear camera

This same issue seems to have appeared in iOS 8.4 updates from searching the forums here.

I have restored my phone and turned it off and on, but nothing has worked.

anyone?

thanks for any help.

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 1:47 PM

311 replies

Sep 18, 2015 6:02 AM in response to Pointebasic

Hi! Try the recovery mode. Turn your device off, then plug it to your computer with the home button pressed. Keep the Home button pressed until you see the iTunes logo on the screen of your device. After that on your computer you should see the iTunes window saying your device needs to be restored to factory settings. Click on the restore button.

More info here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

If these steps don't work, contact Apple and ask for help.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/contact/

Sep 23, 2015 10:22 AM in response to Pointebasic

Seems like I'm having the exact same issue on my iPhone 6. Been on iOS 9 for just under a week, and have started having problems with the camera where it won't open, or if it does open there are pink vertical lines. I find it hard to believe it's a hardware issue considering I've had the phone a year and only ran into problems after installing iOS 9...

Sep 23, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Pointebasic

I have exactly the same issue after updating, but my camera worked for around 1 day until it turned black and flash is telling me its overheated and needs to cool down. The phone is not overheated and never was.

Restart or fresh install didnt help so I downgraded to 8.4.1 since apple is still signing its and unfortunately the camera is not even working in the previous ios... so now I am probably looking at a broken camera since no iOS version recognizes the camera any more.. Im using an iphone 5

Rear camera stopped working after upgrade to iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.