Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 update mail shows as unread? All 43000!

I did the update to iOS 9 on my 6, and now my email icon shows 43,000+ as if they're al unread. The usual "mark as unread" isn't working.

ANyone

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 9:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 4:25 AM

I had the same problem, 45000 plus emails,

it seems to be an issue with POP accounts,

if you go to your mail settings and turn off the account you suspect then go and look. I have 4 on my phone, I turned off the pop account and 45,000 went instantly down to 66 which is the number synced with my MS exchange account as my other 2 accounts have no unread.

perfect!

I turned the pop account back on and all 45000 came back on the badge.

so I then deleted the POP account and re installed and it seemed to work for me

good luck!

66 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2015 4:25 AM in response to candyd

I had the same problem, 45000 plus emails,

it seems to be an issue with POP accounts,

if you go to your mail settings and turn off the account you suspect then go and look. I have 4 on my phone, I turned off the pop account and 45,000 went instantly down to 66 which is the number synced with my MS exchange account as my other 2 accounts have no unread.

perfect!

I turned the pop account back on and all 45000 came back on the badge.

so I then deleted the POP account and re installed and it seemed to work for me

good luck!

Sep 18, 2015 7:55 AM in response to freestylebass

I had this same issue and was able to resolve it. I have two mail accounts set up on my phone, one of which is POP mail through Verizon, and the other a MS Exchange account.

The individual inboxes read zero unread, but the consolidated 'All Inboxes' read 27,000+

If you go into the 'All Inboxes' folder and scroll all the way to the bottom, you will continually load about 250 (it seems to vary between 250 and 500 at a time) emails at a time to your phone. Obviously if you have 46,000, this is going to take forever. What I did was log into my Verizon web mail and filter by senders I know send me daily emails. Through selective deletion of emails I don't want/need, I was able to get my email count down to 8,000 in about 45 minutes. Now, going back into 'All Inboxes,' I was able to load all 8,000 onto my device by scrolling down and loading 250 at a time, then 'Mark All' > 'Read.' After doing so, my count of unread emails was a very OCD satisfying ZERO! This is going to take a little while, but it is doable.

Hope this helps!

Sep 18, 2015 4:01 PM in response to candyd

HI, tonight 18th Sep 2015, I updated to ios9. After looking for and not finding many threads (1 or 2 with suggestions that didn't work) through the Google search engine, I then tried all of the instructions in all of the responses on this page. Not any caused the badge of 7000+ on my iphone 6 to go away. So I investigated into what I could do myself with my Mail App. And I found a way that worked, for me. So I was in my Unread Inbox, this inbox of which I had just added shortly before to the rows of emails etc in my Mailboxes. The unread bar showed the 7000+ digits. I then sent an email via the write new email symbol button at the bottom of the screen whilst in the unread inbox. I sent it to my Hotmail acc. one of three accounts I have set up on my Mail app. Once received, it came up in the unread inbox. But I did not click on it at all. I backed out of the unread inbox and I went into my hotmail and the email was there unread. I then clicked the edit bar inside the hotmail inbox and clicked mark all as read. It unmarked the email I sent myself then I backed out and the badge on my Mail app had gone. Of course if you receive more regular Emails than myself you won't have to much of the middle part. And that is all. Unfortunelty i must add that I would properly bet on this not working for everyone. Or the problem coming back.

iOS9 looks a delite so far and I am quickly adjusting to its new features. This is the only problem I have had so far. I hope in anyway I became of help to your issue that many others seem to be having since the new update. Sorry if I wasn't. I expect apple to release some what clearer information soon. I Wish all the best to everyone.

Sep 19, 2015 3:44 AM in response to candyd

Same here also!

Got in touch with support via chat and in the end he suggested to back up and then restore after the usual turn off and on reset etc!

He did mention to perhaps delete the accounts then add them again, I've yet to try that one.

All my four accounts have no emails unread yet it's showing up in all mailboxes as 6500 unread?

icloud was and is turned off.

Tried the suggestion above with no joy 😟

And no joy after back up restore hey ho 😟

Sep 19, 2015 4:33 AM in response to scopex

I posted this on another thread - it's a pity there are so many different ones given nearly all relate to the crazy mail issue

I too went to Apple Support and Live Chat with a man called Jay.

He said I had to restore the iPad - go to factory settings then restore on iCloud from iTunes.

Which is pretty much what you did

My total number of emails which show as unread has now gone up from just under 4,000 to just over 7,000

There are no unread emails...........

Plus I have lost a mass of information

Jay said he didn't think there would be a fix

I think there had better be...................

I do wonder sometimes just how good Live Chat is..........

Sep 19, 2015 5:47 AM in response to poppy forbes

I imagine there will be a fix but unfortunately not tomorrow :-( unless someone susses it out!

Been lucky I guess to have avoided most update problems/bugs till now and imagine those support guys must love update time!

At least the battery seems to be fine 🙂

ps....just turned the darn thing off and back on again and one of my email accounts started to download 100 emails 😕 so turned off/on again and now it's downloaded 250 for the same account 😠 so tried again and.....you get the picture, another 250 with no way to mark as read? 😢 fat snake!

Sep 19, 2015 10:21 AM in response to candyd

Ok, finally got there with mine 🙂

I'm a little bit mobile phobic, born to early you see, but one of the chat support chaps suggested deleting the accounts and then adding them again, said something about imap and pop which completely lost me 😟

Anyway, out of the four accounts I have I think one of them is a pop one or something or I just struck lucky, but I deleted this pop account making sure I'd written down how everything was and after reinstalling it it's fine!

No more millions of unread emails 🙂

Hope this helps someone.

Now I've just got the red dot on the phone app to sort out 😟 indicates a missed call obviously and when I go in there the red dots on voicemail - but there is no voice mail?

Life seemed so much easier with the nokia 3310 😁

Sep 20, 2015 4:01 AM in response to candyd

I have tried all of the proposed solutions on this post so far -- except a complete nuking of my iPhone -- and none of the solutions worked to get rid of my 7648 "unread" emails. In fact, I had only 1648 unread emails before trying the solution of deleting the offending POP account! It seems clear to me that the upgrade has a problem with POP accounts not with IMAP accounts. Nevertheless, this bug is actually quite serious because the phone once on a mobile phone network will keep trying to load the "unread" messages and one's data limit will be used up in short order. This happened to me today. Its a bummer.

Sep 21, 2015 11:54 AM in response to candyd

Same problem for me!

Well, there are only 245 messages at the moment but its getting more! And these messages are distributed over 8 different provider accounts (I think all accounts are IMAPs but not 100% sure). That really ***** because it was running fine before I did the update to iOS 9!

Even if I filter all "unread" messages by a filter, it displays no message but in the same screen it says at the statusline there were 245!? Thats so confusing!

Just have a look at this screenshot which I attached for you:

User uploaded file

Sep 21, 2015 10:15 PM in response to candyd

try this

You might be using the stock Mail app or a specific email app like Gmail, Mailbox etc. The process is the same for every app. If you find that the badges are annoying or disturbing the aesthetics of the homescreen/dock, here’s what you need to do.

The badges are part of the notification system. These can be disabled/enabled from the Notification Center settings. Here’s what you have to do:

• Open Settings
  • Tap on Notification Center
  • Scroll down and tap on the mail app you use (this could be the stock Mail app or Gmail or any other app that you use)
  • Turn off the switch for Badge App Icon
  • Done!

iOS 9 update mail shows as unread? All 43000!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.