Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9, Cellular settings not saving

Is anybody having this issue? Is there a solution?

When I go to the "Cellular" Settings and mark off the apps I want "Use Cellular Data For:", they do not actually save.

When you back out and come back into that panel, they are unmarked again. The only ones still marked off were the apps I had marked off as yes prior to the installation of iOS 9. I have restrictions off for everything.

When I try to use the apps on cellular service, I get errors saying I need to be connected.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 8:59 PM

Noticed this after iOS 9 upgrade, also, on an iPhone 6 plus. Problem exists in cellular setting going through "settings, cellular" as well as individual app settings. I have noticed that it's not all my apps, but definitely every one that was previously had cellular disabled. I noticed it first with the new News app. I initially disabled cellular, and today find that I cannot enable it. A random sample of those that had cellular enabled prior to the update have no problem changing the setting.

My wife also upgraded her iPhone 6plus, and so far her phone is not exhibiting this problem.

I Have tried various combos of changing the settings, quitting all apps, and rebooting the phone, to no avail. I have also attempted a "reset all settings", which did not fix the problem, but did keep me busy for a couple hours setting the phone up again. Sigh.

88 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2015 8:59 PM in response to PHA39

Noticed this after iOS 9 upgrade, also, on an iPhone 6 plus. Problem exists in cellular setting going through "settings, cellular" as well as individual app settings. I have noticed that it's not all my apps, but definitely every one that was previously had cellular disabled. I noticed it first with the new News app. I initially disabled cellular, and today find that I cannot enable it. A random sample of those that had cellular enabled prior to the update have no problem changing the setting.

My wife also upgraded her iPhone 6plus, and so far her phone is not exhibiting this problem.

I Have tried various combos of changing the settings, quitting all apps, and rebooting the phone, to no avail. I have also attempted a "reset all settings", which did not fix the problem, but did keep me busy for a couple hours setting the phone up again. Sigh.

Sep 17, 2015 11:55 PM in response to PHA39

Hello All,

Just an update. It annoyed me so much that I decided to reset everything and reinstalled every app I had. Yes, that took hours to do (luckily there was football on TV in the background to keep my sane).

That didn't solve my main issue. But I did notice one thing: The Cellular Settings work, but it only offered me Apple's 1st party apps. No 3rd party apps showed up for me to mark or unmark.

Was this done by design? I was shocked to see that.

Sep 18, 2015 1:01 AM in response to PHA39

I am having the same issue that activating Cellular Data for the iTunes and the Music app isn't accepted under iOS 9 - toggles are automatically turned off once I return to the settings App. This happened since I was "forced" to use the iOS 9 beta on my 64 GB iPhone 6 plus, as under iOS 8.4.1 out of the blue iTunes didn't allow access to the iPhone anymore, Apps weren't installed anymore by the Appstore App, the iTunes and the Apple Store apps froze and Mail didn't open Safari-Links anymore. A reboot solved the issue for about 15/20 minutes only. I had this issue on three service-exchanged iPhones, I even swapped the SIM-Card at T-Mobile; Restoring from local backups and from iCloud backups did't work, neither did a manual install - even setting up a new device with stock apps only led to the phenomenon. iOS 9 beta eliminated these problems – Apple's Chat support said they can't help me adviced me to stick with the Beta (on a productive system!) – no comment on that.

Any solution would be appreciated.

iOS 9, Cellular settings not saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.