Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV keeps crashing NON-STOP!!!

We use Apple TV for all our TV watching in all rooms. We bought them at separate times, but they are the same model. We have Apple TV Software 6.2.1 and Resolution 720p.

Our Netflix and Hulu keeps crashing 3-4 times per show, and our music app crashes when playing songs, whether I am streaming it using Airplay from my iPhone or using the AppleTV app.

Our Apple TV just crashes and crashes and crashes!!!!! YES! I have restarted the Apple TV devices. YES! I have unplugged the modem and router and plugged them back in (in the proper sequence). YES! Our wifi speed is fast enough: over 60 Mbs download & 15 Mbs upload. YES! I have reset our ALL of our Apple TV devices to factory settings and set them back up again as new. I have done ALL of the usual advice for fixing the problem.

We are avid Apple fans but are getting sick of the constant crashing. We can't get through one show without having it crash at least once.

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 12:10 PM

139 replies

Jan 31, 2017 4:07 AM in response to satchfan

I also have had this problem for years on my ATV2. I don't think it's the iOS that is crashing, it's the netflix app. The effect is similar though: playback stops, screen goes black, spinner appears, time goes by, main menu appears. I chatted with NetFlix about this for quite a while last night but they really didn't help at all. They keep pointing back to my network which is fast & working perfectly for streaming video purchases from Apple and every other app on the device. I don't understand how years keep passing and this problem gets no better. I keep hoping that a new update will fix the problem, but I'm giving up. I will have to buy an new device and I guess it will have to be from someone other than Apple. I suppose I'll keep the ATV b/c it works fine for apple video purchases but I doubt I will be buying as much content from Apple since it will no longer be the primary device. I've been patient and hopeful that this will get better for too long. It's time to recognize that this will never get fixed and move on.

Apr 2, 2017 12:48 PM in response to satchfan

My Apple TV had been crashing recently, and does so about every 15 minutes while I am watching Netflix. After reading some of these replies I found that the Apple TV was signed into my iTunes account, which I have recently been using to download a ton a music. Since iTunes was taking up all the RAM on my Apple TV, it was causing it to reboot due to a shortage of storage. I simply signed out of my iTunes account, and my Apple TV has stayed working perfectly while I watch Netflix.

Apr 22, 2017 8:49 AM in response to Socalma

You buy an ATV4 and then in 8 months you'll be facing this same issue.

Remember when AppleTV wasn't passing through 5.1 audio on Netflix? Same type of software rigging and obsolescence. I'm convinced apple continues to do this on purpose (same with iPads) in order to "force" you to upgrade. I'm moving away from the apple ecosystem entirely. My $39 FireTV stick is more reliable than the $100+ AppleTV.

Feb 8, 2018 6:06 PM in response to satchfan

Mines having same problems. I know what the problem is. It's like sleep mode on PC. Sometimes it crashes a PC. What I don't understand is Apple should have their issues resolved. Why are so many people having the same problem. Huh? Apple?? Anyways, disable sleep mode and that will help. Reset obviously doesn't do crud on this issue

Mar 11, 2018 11:39 AM in response to oiadd

I just recently got the Apple TV 4k 32GB and it's also happening on my units. I guess its just shoddy programming in either the netflix/hulu app or the OS. Same symptoms, cold reboot fixes everything. Those who are in IT know this is similar issues with memory leaks. Done some of the fixes and alleviated some (actually made it last longer) like not using the aerial screen saver. it's making me rethink this and maybe just selling them and going back to my Amazon fire tv. (Really wanted this to work since Amazon came to the Apple TV and now i have access to all content providers including apple) The one last resort I have is updating them to TV OS 11.3 since I have a developer account, and read some of the dev logs and it addresses some memory and resource issues (but not holding my breath)

Apr 20, 2018 8:50 PM in response to satchfan

I love Apple TV until the software update a year or so ago. Since I am not able to play any movie unless it is through Apple. Netflix crashes constantly. Apple a please do not block my voice again. The last time I posted about this issue you considered it venting and blocked me and my post. This is not the Apple I remember. Please remember your customers and listen to them.

Apple TV keeps crashing NON-STOP!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.