Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 9 - how to get rid of or turn off Game Center

I recently upgraded to IOS 9. Game Center has reactivated itself; issues pop-up messages and enables people to "challenge me". I do not want this - I find it annoying.

How do I disable Game Center, or at least turn it off?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3, Also iPad

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 6:17 PM

97 replies

Jun 21, 2017 6:50 AM in response to ejmon86

I just found this for iOS 10. I had to sign out of game center first. Then I force closed the game. Opened game. Waited for game center login screen, hit cancel. Force closed game. Repeated 2 more times. Force closed game and now game center does not come up. Maybe this does not work for all games but it worked for me. Thanks so much for this post!!! :)

Sep 18, 2015 5:09 PM in response to glinsley

I Wholeheartedly agree....I upgraded to IOS9 today and get these very persistent "log into Game Center" pop ups whenever I launch my games....I haven't found any method to "un-elect" this irritating issue.

if somebody from Apple doesn't respond on this forum very soon on how to eliminate or stop this...I am going to throw this iPad in the trash an buy me a Google-based tablet.

signed, why did you ruin my machine?

Sep 18, 2015 6:15 PM in response to WEI482

This is a user to user forum, Apple does not respond here

You can let them know your feelings by responding here

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

However while comments to the feedback link are logged they aren't responded to.

I've honestly seen some issues with game center on my iPad which is running iOS7 so it may very well just be a glitch with the game center servers that will resolve itself on its own.

Sep 19, 2015 2:51 PM in response to WEI482

I too suddenly got pop ups for Game Center every time I opened my card game.....maddening ....so maybe iOS9 turned it on ? I found two things....in Settings/Game Center I made sure I wasn't signed in ( never have been ) .....then back in my card game app I re checked the settings icon.....and found a new setting for Game Center turned ON....turned it off....and it's no longer popping up .....might work for you ?

Sep 19, 2015 6:14 PM in response to mulelady

Many thanks. The card games I prefer to not have that Game Center option, but I have logged out of Game Center and that seems to have resolved the issue. I also provided direct feedback to Apple, suggesting an update to provide the option to "opt out" of Game Center, although I doubt very much that they will provide one

Sep 21, 2015 5:11 PM in response to glinsley

Unfortunately, the issue is NOT Solved. I have signed out of Game Center, but each time I open one of the card games I prefer to play, I now get a very slow pop-up from Game Center asking me to sign in. What a pain!

Maybe my option is to delete those games and try to find a game which allows me to avoidGame Center - or buy another device

Sep 21, 2015 6:12 PM in response to Skydiver119

Skydiver119 wrote:

Whatever the issue is it seems to be on Apple's end, and it's not confined to iOS9 because I'm experiencing it on my iPad that's on iOS7.

I believe you're correct with the issue being on Apple's end. I am always signed out of Game Center but one game I run (Pinball Arcade) is Game Center enabled, however I never use the feature. After an iOS update, I am always prompted in Pinball Arcade by Game Center to sign in. I hit the Cancel button in the Game Center screen 3-4 times and it stops bugging/prompting me to sign in and my request "sticks". But I've gotten the same prompt (despite cancelling 3-4 times) on a daily basis since I installed iOS 9...so I attributed the issue to the iOS 9 release. If it's happening under iOS 7, then that shows that it's not an iOS 9 issue only...although it may have been triggered by it's release somehow.

Sep 21, 2015 6:27 PM in response to SergZak

I only use it because I play Smurfs Village with my niece and that's how she can visit my village and vice versa. (It's game center or facebook, so lesser of two evils)

It's rare that i'd get kicked on my touch - which is running iOS8, or was) but I'd have to sign in once or twice a week on my iPad , which is iOS7. Now I'm getting the annoying popups that freeze the game wanting me to log in via the popup, yet it doesn't work that way. I continually get 'cannot connect to server', but if I sign in via the settings, it seems to work.

If it is indeed on Apple's end, all folks can do is use work arounds or stop playing game center games.

I do agree with you that it was somehow triggered at the time of the iOS9 release. Because that's precisely when mine started messing up.

IOS 9 - how to get rid of or turn off Game Center

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.