Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 touch id not working after screen replacement

I recently had a cracked screen on my iphone 6 replaced and now the touch id does not work. When I go to set up touch id, it does not read my fingerprint when it says to input your fingerprint. also the double tap on the home button to bring the screen halfway down does not work. I tried restarting the phone, and we even did a complete wipe to default with no luck. Updating to iOS 9 did not change it either. The guy who fixed my phone thinks its the touch id sensor, but he has had trouble getting a new one to put in the phone. Has anyone had this issue as well? Is what he wants to do the right solution? Any suggestions?

Thanks

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 9:04 AM

Did you have Apple or an authorized Apple Service provider replace the screen? If not, then you have discovered that the screen, home button and Touch ID are all connected, and the generic replacement of the screen by non-authorized service personnel will result in this happening. If you attempt to restore the phone, you may also receive an error, normally an error 53. You may return the device to the person you had do the service to demand he fix it, but I doubt that will do any good. And, since you have allowed an unauthorized service provider open the device, Apple will no longer service it. You may need to purchase a new phone. He cannot get parts because Apple does not sell parts. OEM parts are not available, most are either salvage or stolen parts.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2015 9:04 AM in response to ashap19

Did you have Apple or an authorized Apple Service provider replace the screen? If not, then you have discovered that the screen, home button and Touch ID are all connected, and the generic replacement of the screen by non-authorized service personnel will result in this happening. If you attempt to restore the phone, you may also receive an error, normally an error 53. You may return the device to the person you had do the service to demand he fix it, but I doubt that will do any good. And, since you have allowed an unauthorized service provider open the device, Apple will no longer service it. You may need to purchase a new phone. He cannot get parts because Apple does not sell parts. OEM parts are not available, most are either salvage or stolen parts.

Sep 18, 2015 9:50 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I haven't been getting any error messages, its just not recognizing my finger. I didn't have this repaired by Apple, it was a guy the local Verizon store referred me to. The phone was basically unusuable due to the locations of the crack, so I had to have it fixed the night it happened and the Apple store did not have any open appointments for several days. Also he took the home button off of my cracked screen and put it on the new one. So are you saying that it won't work because there's a new screen?

Thanks

Sep 18, 2015 11:08 AM in response to ashap19

I'm saying that everything is connected with the new phones and Touch ID. Everything needs to match or it won't work. If you went to Verizon, then you must be in the US. Most, if not all of the Apple stores in the US have walk-in appointments available in the case of an emergency like you experienced. Like I said, Apple will no longer work on that device, so you are on your own. How you determine to get it fixed now is up to you, but I would start with the person that replaced the screen and see what kind of guarantee or warranty he has on his work. The device doesn't work and he worked on it. Either he is responsible, or you try to find another competent service center, or you purchase a new phone. Next time, only let Apple work on the device.

Sep 18, 2015 11:19 AM in response to ashap19

It might be fixable if the shop can change out everything. However, my understanding of how it works is that the screen, Touch ID and motherboard are tied together. Only Apple can make a screen change and make it work. I had mine changed by the Apple store under warranty on my 5s last week when a yellow colored line began to appear on the left side of the screen. I can tell you that besides the screen being new, I can tell the home button is different as well by the way it works. It is recognizably different from the one that was on there. I had to also delete all of my fingerprints before they changed the screen, and then add them back after I got the device back.

Find out what this shop that Verizon recommended to you has to say.

Dec 10, 2016 6:25 AM in response to ashap19

hello this doesn't pertain to the screen problem I'm having but i sent my Iphone 6s plus to apples repair center in Texas because of a updating issue they fixed the problem by putting a new Logic board in (Motherboard) after i received it back touch ID does not work so i sent it back same day and the outcome is now Signs of Misuse and Unauthorized Modifications so now they are sending the phone back i have repair IDs and service requested dates so i need help with this
<Image Edited by Host to Remove Serial Number>

Dec 10, 2016 7:38 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

hello this doesn't pertain to the screen problem I'm having but i sent my Iphone 6s plus to apples repair center in Texas because of a updating issue they fixed the problem by putting a new Logic board in (Motherboard) after i received it back touch ID does not work so i sent it back same day and the outcome is now Signs of Misuse and Unauthorized Modifications so now they are sending the phone back i have repair IDs and service requested dates so i need help with this
<Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information>

Dec 10, 2016 6:22 AM in response to oceyysingle

oceyysingle wrote:

hello this doesn't pertain to the screen problem

Then you should start your own topic.

See this -> Find answers and ask new questions

i sent it back same day and the outcome is now Signs of Misuse and Unauthorized Modifications so now they are sending the phone back i have repair IDs and service requested dates so i need help with this

You will need to contact Apple.

-> Start your request online

or set up an appt at an Apple Store Genius bar -> Make an appointment at an Apple Retail Store Genius Bar

iPhone 6 touch id not working after screen replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.