Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone with IoS9 incompatible with Snow Leopard

I have an iPhone 5s running IoS9 (as well as an iPad and and iPad Mini, also running IoS9). I've updated all three over these past few days and now wish I bloody had not. The problem is the when I now try to sync them with my 2008 MacBook running Snow Leopard I can't: I am told the iPhone needs 'a newer version of iTunes', presumably because of IoS9. The trouble is - that my Macbook has the latest version of iTunes it can use - newer iTunes versions need a more recent OSX. I have just added four more CDs to my iTunes library but can now no longer sync it to transfer them to my iPhone. I know it is virtually impossible to revert to IoS8.4.1 which I had before, so what can I do? I was going to contact Apple support but they want £25. I think that's a bit thick seeing as Apple is responsible for this situation. Can anyone suggest a solution (other than 'buy yourself a newer MacBook - this one works just fine and doesn't otherwise need to be replaced).

<Edited by Host>

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 6:50 AM

73 replies

Sep 19, 2015 7:12 AM in response to FelipeV

Yes, I KNOW IoS9 will only sync with a later version of iTunes - that's what my post states and that's the essence of my problem, so I'm really not too sure why you are telling me. If I could revert to IoS8.4.1 I would do and that would solve the problem. But as you know we can't do that.

Maybe my Macbook is even earlier than 2008, I don't know, but I do know it can't take a more recent version of OSX. What I need is a solution, not just a restatement of my post.

Sep 19, 2015 8:19 AM in response to pfgpowell

I was going to suggest what Lex has suggested, but he beat me to it. I would go along with Lex and perhaps borrow a Macbook that is capable of running iTunes 12.3 and create a guest user on the computer and then transfer (copy) your iTunes library to the loaner. That should contain your ripped tracks. You can then proceed to synch your music. This is not a perfect, but temporary solution.

Here is an article that explains how to transfer the library:

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support

Sep 21, 2015 10:15 AM in response to pfgpowell

I was having the same problem with my iPhone 5S, but all seems to be solved now. When I originally downloaded iOS9 I did it via iTunes.

I restored my phone to iOS8 http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-downgrade-from-ios-9-to-8-7-reinsta ll-ios-8-3522302/ and downloaded iOS9 via the phone. No problems now connecting to iTunes.

I hadn't updated my iPad 2 yet, after having the problem with the iPhone. So once all was well with the iPhone update, I went ahead and updated the iPad without any problems. There again, downloading the update via the iPad.

Sep 24, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Remy Leroy

Yes, that is exactly what he means. If you upgrade via iTunes, once the upgrade is complete you will get the "requires newer version of iTunes" message, and iTunes will no longer recognize your phone...happened to me, too.

I then downgraded to 8.4.1 (@fgpowell: yes you can, is actually easy, see the link in MacoMaco's post, or my post Re: itunes 11.4 and ios 9. Problems with SL), then upgraded OverTheAir (via the phone, NOT iTunes)...and now my 5s running iOS 9 is syncing with iTunes 11.4 running under OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) on an iMac. Strange, very strange...but true.

How to downgrade? Read the macworld article http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-downgrade-from-ios-9-to-8-7-reinsta ll-ios-8-3522302/ and:

1) get copy of 8.4.1 ipsw (I got mine from https://ipsw.me/ ... hopefully is still showing in green, meaning still signed by Apple)

2) put your phone into Recovery mode (3B in the article)

3) downgrade phone to iOS 8.4.1 (3A in article: Restore iPhone...iTunes will let you select the .ipsw you downloaded, as long as you remember to hold down Option while clicking the Restore button)

4) restore your data (Restore backup...iTunes will prompt you, as I recall)

5) upgrade via Settings (on your phone: disconnect it from iTunes and computer)

I have no idea why this works (Apple trying to force us to abandon Snow Leopard?), but it does...at least for now. I did it, and so far, so good.

Sep 26, 2015 9:21 AM in response to Lexiepex

Thanks for your reply. I just realised 8.4.1 is actually still signed by Apple- I'm downloading the update file now. I do have 9.01 because I literally just upgraded half an hour ago. Will this be a problem? The thing I'm unsure about now is that the MacWorld article mentions navigating to your iphone in the iTunes window in order to restore it, but the non-compatibility with iTunes is the crux of the issue...

iphone with IoS9 incompatible with Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.