Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps not updating and seem stuck in circle mode

Tried to update two apps on iPhone 6 with iOS 8. It's stuck on circle mode. Help!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 23, 2015 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2015 9:03 AM

Try tapping on the circle to stop the download, then tap Update again. Try it a few times. Usually that works for me. If that doesn't work. Go to Settings>Airplane Mode>On. That will disconnect you from your WiFi connection. Give it about 30 seconds and then Turn Airplane mode off. Try updating again.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2015 9:03 AM in response to RatherBeInLondon

Try tapping on the circle to stop the download, then tap Update again. Try it a few times. Usually that works for me. If that doesn't work. Go to Settings>Airplane Mode>On. That will disconnect you from your WiFi connection. Give it about 30 seconds and then Turn Airplane mode off. Try updating again.

Sep 27, 2015 7:24 AM in response to RatherBeInLondon

I've experienced App Store download issues with my 6s plus running iOS 9.01. See related posts:

Apps Constantly in "Installing" Mode after 9.0.1 Update

Apps will not finish downloading on new iPhone 6s Plus

Also, my hunch is that the issue may be on the server side rather than the device. Just has that smell since plus models appear to be affected, mine running iOS 9, yours running 8 and my iPad has no similar issue. If this is true, then one day it will just start working right, without a new device update. Also, those of us on iOS 9 won't necessarily see the problem fixed if we downgrade.

This is just a guess though.

[update] I see that a 5s owner has had App Store issues now too.

Apps not updating and seem stuck in circle mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.