Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps Constantly in "Installing" Mode after 9.0.1 Update

I have 22 apps that have been "installing" for the past 2 days, ever since I updated my phone to 9.0.1. I tap the grey icon; it says "Installing..." but then doesn't finish. When I go to the App Store and select "Update All", the same 22 apps show as in the process of updating, since yesterday. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, have you found a remedy? I really need access to these apps!

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 7:22 PM

Look at the two Apple Recommended suggestions in this discussion. See if either of those suggestions works for you.

Apps not updating and seem stuck in circle mode

7 replies

Sep 26, 2015 8:40 PM in response to SarahMROMERO

I have been having this problem too on my new iPhone 6s Plus.

I haven't found a fix but I have found a workaround which is to tap the "installing" button to pause it (the one that has the circle going around it to show installation progress), give it a few seconds and then tap it again to unpause. I've had to do this in some cases 10 times but eventually the download will work.

Things I've done to try troubleshooting this:

(1) At first I thought it was my wifi or some networking issue, so I used Settings|General to reset the wifi but this had no effect

(2) I ran speedtest.net and it produces roughly the same result as my iPad which is about 70MB/s download and 3MB/s upload

(3) I've had no trouble using the browser, siri or any other networking related software on the phone

(4) I put my ipad and iphone 6s plus side by side on the table and observed the ipad download speedtest.net from the appstore very quickly and the iphone 6s try to get started and appeared hung. So I repeatedly did the pause/unpause trick described above and eventually it got going and finished.

My best guess is that is the app store has to do something unique for the new iPhone 6s (possibly specific to the plus model?) and is having trouble.

Sep 27, 2015 2:07 PM in response to ZyronEnder

So it looks like so long as I press "Update" one by one for each app in the App Store>Updates section, and let each one finish installing one at a time before updating the next one, the app completes the update. The key for me was NOT to hit "Update All." This fix is more time consuming than if I had the capability to "Update All," but at least I now have access to my apps.

Apps Constantly in "Installing" Mode after 9.0.1 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.