Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This message has not been downloaded from the server.

since upgrading last week my emails are not downloading. This is the message content "This message has not been downloaded from the server". Please advise.

iPad 2, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 11:04 PM

34 replies

Oct 15, 2015 11:49 AM in response to RioMist

I get the "message has not been downloaded from the server" message in my iPad mail's SENT folder (not any inbound emails).

It happens only for emails sent from the iPad's Photos application: I select a picture and share it via email. It gets sent and winds up in the Mail application's SENT folder (picture and text).

Apparently, overnight (or some other magical timeframe) the email in the SENT folder loses both the picture and the text, and the "message has not been downloaded from the server" message appears instead.

Trying to forward the already-sent email sends only emptiness, so it too does not try to fetch the message from whatever server it is talking about.

I use Verizon as my email service provider. Messages are sent out via SMTP, and there is no expectation that they are stored on the Verizon server's SENT folder.

So what "server" is the iPad talking about? iCloud?

This issue happens only with Photo-sourced messages. Regular text emails are properly saved and available in the SENT folder.

Oct 20, 2015 4:50 AM in response to RioMist

I too am having this problem but not just in sent emails. It is happening with emails I receive also after reading them. A few days later I go back to reply and it says "This message has not been downloaded from the server.". This started happening after I updated to the iOS 9.0.2. Totally frustrating to the point where I don't even want to use the iPad any more. Something I have loved for the convenience has turned into a nightmare. Hoping Apple reads some of these posts and does something to fix their problem soon. Also had the problem others have had with having to sign into the iMessage app over and over.

Oct 25, 2015 5:18 AM in response to RioMist

I am having same problem since I downloaded IOS 9, When I open email next day all I see in content of email is "the message has not been downloaded from the server. I cannot retrieve the message and in latest message have lost the offer attached very frustrating.

When my contract finishes will be terminating contract with Apple (iphone) their customer service cannot resolve these very important issues least with my Samsung I do not have any problems with downloading emails so will switch my accounts to them.

Apple need to get the basics and their priorities right before putting which is no more than a virus on their customers devices. with the upgrades.

Phone worked perfectly well with IOS8 so must be major flaws in apples new platform.

Oct 26, 2015 6:05 AM in response to RioMist

Apple has been no help. Not sure they understand there own product. I got the same message when I updated to this IOS 9. I found a fix or a way around it. I'm not sure which. I have a POP account. Do you that have this problem also have a POP account? If so try this. Start your email on your computer. Up in the top somewhere you should see the option to click on "properties". Click on it. Look for the tab in properties that says "advanced". In the advanced window you should see a section that says "delivery". Read what is selected there. I think IOS 9 was able to change this setting. I can't say for sure because I have never looked there before this problem came up. What I do know is my wife also has a POP account and what was checked was different in her settings. Anyway Change the setting in "delivery" to "leave a copy of message on server", delete only after it is deleted from deleted items. Its been 4 days since I made this change and it seems to have worked.

I get the sense that Apple is trying to push us to use email providers they are in bed with. Example Gmail.

Oct 26, 2015 10:15 AM in response to jdp6000

I have a POP account and since today's software update the problem has worsened. Previously saved (intact) emails have disappeared from my inbox too. I will try your suggestion, thank you. I'm getting more and more frustrated with this problem as I have lost two flight confirmation emails for this weekend. I'm now screen-shotting every important email I receive as it's almost sure to disappear on quitting the Mail app. Not happy.

Oct 27, 2015 6:24 AM in response to RioMist

You need to report the problem to Apple for them to notice. http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

I have noticed that the messages on my phone will be fine until I log into my home computer, then the emails download from the server to their final destination. Once they are not on the the online server I will get that message (This message has not been downloaded from the server) in my phone emails. The emails were there, now they are not. Note, I have had an iPhone for YEARS using the same email program/system with no issues. Apple clearly needs to fix this problem.

I didn't realize it was such an issue, since I do not log into my computer often, until this weekend. I had a flagged email with my event tickets, and just happened to double check where the email was before I left the house...the email was blank! I would have driven 40 minutes to the sporting event with 4 people and no one would have had tickets to get in. How much would have that sucked? Luckily I had the original email on my computer and forwarded it to one of my friends. Apple Fail.

Oct 27, 2015 11:54 AM in response to jana-cetecea

Hi I have the same problem (This message has not been downloaded from the server). So I went to Apple Store and after 2 hours waiting for the technician who they call "GENIUS", I was surprised by the answer "Apple change the IOS and the other companies like google (my provider) didn't upgrade their systems". I was not convinced with the GENIUS answer because I saw online complains about the same problem dated from 2008. But there is nothing you can do when you try to contradict a GENIUS. So, I left the store and called GOOGLE SUPPORT (they don't call the support people GENIUS, but they behave the same). The support guy told me that google don't support Apple's phone period, I try to tell them that when I use a Google product I'm a Google user does a matter what is my hardware. Waste of time you can not contradict a GENIUS even if them don't are called GENIUS. My conclusion in the end is that we are not customers of anyone. If someone in the community could help I appreciate.

I have Iphone6 and Iphone6S both 9.1 both with the same problem I use POP

Until now, besides to talk to the GENIUS I delete my Gmail account and added again . no results

Thanks

JF

Oct 27, 2015 12:10 PM in response to FJosbacher

Since my situation -- i.e., getting the error message for items in my SENT folder -- is different from what everyone else is experiencing in the INBOX, I will submit a specific complaint to the iPad "feedback" page: http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

But the feedbag [sic] page asks all sorts of questions about hardware & software details, I'll have to wait until I get home.

It would be nice to know the list of issues that Apple is actually addressing, but someday ... somewhere ... we'll find a new way of living -- oh, sorry, I veered off into Westside Story. Someday Apple might quietly slip in the code correction, but it might work only for new email messages. I suspect and worry that the messages and attachments which really should be on the iThing device itself (and not on the server at all) are orphans and the mail application won't have a way to connect them with their applicable email messages.

Perhaps the Apply genii have forgotten that email is the original killer app, and regardless of whether the upstream mail servers are upgraded to Apple's interface requirements ("Hello, Apple, what are your email interface requirements to begin with?"), they risk user flight to other, apparently reliable, ecosystems.

Oct 27, 2015 4:07 PM in response to jdp6000

I'm going to reply to my self. So far so good for me. I'm on day 5 and haven't seen the "messages have not been downloaded" thing. This problem only affects POP accounts I think. Let me explain. Your emails are in several places. You probably have configured your phone to get your emails as well as another device like a desk top computer. Your emails are therefore in three places. Place one is the server....that's the place you can login to from anywhere in the world. For me I go to bell.mail., that's my provider and location of my POP folder. What bell.mail (my POP account) does is move my messages into a POP folder once they have been downloaded to my desk top or my Iphone. As far as I can tell the recent Iphone software update either changed my settings or is messed up and can not show emails that have been moved to the POP folder by my provider.

Several things you have to check. Which I did and found were of no use.

First log into your email provider, not on your phone and I'm not talking about your email folder on your desk top. Go to the provider, Example I go to bell Mail which is hosted by outlook.com. Login. go to settings and see if its set to leave a copy of your email on the server and never delete. The transfer to the POP account seems to be automatic and there is nothing you can do to change it.

Go to your Iphone settings for mail. Make sure the setting say never delete.

This is the only thing that worked. Go to your desktop open your email folder. Got to account. Look for properties. Go to advanced. make sure the "delivery setting is set to leave a copy or email on server and remove from server only when deleted from deleted items. This is a band aid solution. I don't want my emails to be deleted from the server. This is where I go to find a email if I accidently deleted it. With this setting its gone for ever. But it gets rid of that "message has not been down loaded" thing.

This message has not been downloaded from the server.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.