Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad won't load Google in Safari after iOS9.0.1 upgrade

I upgraded to iOS 9.0.1 today and now Safari gives me the message that it "cannot open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server". I am in the UK and it is Google.co.uk that normally opens. However, I can't open Google.com either, because it switches automatically to the .co.uk site and give the message above again.

This is only happening on my iPad Mini. On my iMac Safari opens Google just fine. And on my iPhone6, which was upgraded to iOS 9.0.0 a couple of days ago, Google loads in Safari perfectly too.

I have cleared all website data from the iPad Mini (via Settings), restarted the iPad several times, and I have rebooted my wifi network server. None of this has made any difference.

On my iPad, every other site I have tried loads without any problem. The issue is just between Safari and Google.

Any ideas?

Tom

AppleTV 2, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 5:26 AM

44 replies

Sep 25, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric.

My post did say that I'd cleared all the website data. It hasn't made any difference.

I've had a bit more of a chance to test the problem.

The standalone Google Search app works fine too. The issue is related to Google running under Safari. In fact, everything else works, including everthing I have stored in Safari as "Favorites". Again pointing to this being a specific Google/Safari thing.

I did not have the problem until I upgraded to iOS 9.0.1 today. This looks like a patch rushed out to deal with other iPad/Safari problems.

My wife's old iPad 1, running iOS5.1 is also still running fine, and loads Google via Safari exactly as it should. Ahain, that helps narrow down the possibilities.

I don't know what parameters govern how the web-based version of Google determines it can or cannot obtain a "secure connection". Safari is connecting to the web, just not "securely" in the eyes of the web based version of Google.

Only test I've not yet been able to do is to try the iPad out on a different wifi network. Everything works fine if I tether my iPad to my iPhone - indicates the problem is specific to wifi.

Tom

Sep 25, 2015 10:02 AM in response to Tomp2

I am suffering the same problem and its driving me mad trying to find a solution. I have tried all the normal routes, reset everything, rebooted, ... All other iOS devices are working fine and I can even get the iPad mini to connect to https://www.google.co.uk when tethered via my iPhone, but when connected to any of a number of wifi routers it does not work.

Apple - this feels very much like a bug in the software that is impact the ipad mini only. The issue lies somewhere in the wifi connection between the ipad and the wifi router and its very much iOS9.01 related.

Sep 25, 2015 10:12 AM in response to robthedoc

Thanks. You'll see from my reply to Eric, above, that I too have narrowed down the options. The fact that my wife's old iPad 1 is unaffected (it can only run iOS 5) shows that it is quite a specific problem, in my view. Glad you agree it's iOS 9.0.1 related. However, a solution eludes me at present.

Tom

Sep 25, 2015 10:15 AM in response to robthedoc

I don't think it is restricted to iPad Minis - I am having a similar issue on iPad 2. I cannot connect to any Google related websites, as well as YouTube, both in Safari and Chrome apps. Every other website I have tried works fine, but google.co.uk, google.com, searches using the web bars (which default to Google) as well as m.youtube.com and a YouTube app all return either a variety of connection errors, or just hang on loading. All other devices I have, connect fine to Google and YouTube fine, both on wired and wireless connections, and I have tried switching the iPad off and back on again, and doing a soft reset.

If it is a bug in 9.0.1 it's incredibly unusual, and seems to have a delayed onset as I updated my device yesterday, and both Google and YouTube worked fine last night and this morning.

Sep 25, 2015 10:30 AM in response to cberriman1

I'd not realised things like YouTube might be affected, but yes, I can load YouTube, only it refuses to show thumbnails of any video, and when I try to play anything, it gives an unhelpful "playback error" message.

I found that the Safari settings on my iPad Mini would look as if they were letting me switch to a different search engine, but in practice, nothing happened, and Safari continues to try unsuccessfully to load Google. Anyone else finding this a feature of the problem? I installed the standalone Google app on my iPad today, so that I had some means to search. That works perfectly. I used it to load DuckDuckGo and I've added it as one of my Safari Favourites. Accessed that way, it works fine as well. That gives me search engine functionality, but still gets us no nearer solving this problem.

Tom

Sep 25, 2015 11:59 AM in response to Tomp2

Hi all!

I thought I might have been alone until I found this thread! I installed iOS 9.0.1 on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4s last night and now I'm experiencing the same issues you guy are having; Safari isn't 'talking' to Google and is displaying 'Safari cannot open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server'. Intially I thought it was my router so I reset it to no avail. I too cleared all my internet data but it hasn't made a difference. It can't be a coincidence that I installed iOS 9.0.1 on two devices at the same time and now both devices have this problem.

The only work around I've got is using the Chrome app to do my browsing, so far that seems to work. I've also changed Safari over to use Bing so I'll see how that works out.

iOS 9 killed my battery. iOS 9.0.1 killed my Safari. It's all very strange!

Sep 25, 2015 1:42 PM in response to Tomp2

Tom, All,

I have exactly the same thing with my YouTube app - greyed out thumbnails, and then the videos won't play.

I tested the same thing you did with the Google app, and it works for me as well. I then tried accessing google.co.uk and youtube.com in a third web browser app, and managed to replicate the issue. For both Dolphin (the third web browser) and Chrome, google.co.uk attempts to redirects and either hangs indefinitely or fails, YouTube tries to load the mobile page and just fails to connect.

So from everything that has been contributed so far:

1. Google and YouTube webpages fail to load in Safari, Chrome and Dolphin (very likely that other browsers will encounter the issue)

2. The Google standalone app works. As does Google Maps.

3. The YouTube app does not work, or works only partially.

4. Clearing web settings, resetting, rebooting and connecting to other networks has failed to solve the issue.

5. Google and YouTube were both working yesterday for everyone (i.e. pre-update) and both still work on other devices, those of note being Apple devices working on old operating systems.

My guess is it is a bug in the system somewhere, as robthedoc suggested, though it is strange that it is so specific - certain websites in certain instances only, but easy to replicate? And by the fact that the forum is not flooded with queries along the same lines (although I have seen one or two others on the forums, including my own thread), only affecting a small number of devices?

If anyone stumbles upon a fix, please post it around, but otherwise I guess wait and see if a fix comes from apple (if it is indeed a bug)!

Thanks

C

Sep 25, 2015 1:51 PM in response to cberriman1

Thanks.

In the last hour, the standalone Google app has stopped working for me. Was working fine earlier. Now gives a "Check your network connection" message. My network is just fine -for everything non-Google.

I'Ve aso just seen this online: http://www.tapscape.com/ios-gmail-problems/ Looks like the issues affect a whole raft of Google products. I suspect that we'll either get a resolution quickly if this is so, or blind denial while the minions feverishly work on a fix.

Tom

iPad won't load Google in Safari after iOS9.0.1 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.