Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone stops playing music when taking photos?!

HI there...

My iPhone 6S seems to stop playing music both from iTunes or Spotify when I open the camera to take a photograph. I assumed there would be some obvious way to allow it to continue playing. It's a bit annoying to be honest! I just want to continue listening to my music whilst taking photogrsphs...

I can't find anything on the web... Or on here... Can't find anything on the phone... It didn't happen with my iPhone 5...

If anybody knows anything or has any idea if this is actually a design feature or just annoying I'd appreciate any advice!

Cheers! 🙂

Kev

iphone 6S iOSX 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 8:53 PM

I have the same issue. This needs to be fixed.

164 replies

Sep 27, 2015 12:06 AM in response to Kjzee

I Have just realised I have this same issue too! This is one of my major workflows I walk, listen to music and take photos! It's a major deal breaker for me! even my 4S on iOS 9 doesn't have this issue which was what I've been using up till this upgrade to the 6S. I have 14 days to get a refund and if it's not going to be fixed I am seriously thinking of changing phones. This seems like it must be a trade off for the new 12MP camera but thats a bad call if so. I'd prefer if they could just limit it for say live photos which may be understandable. I love the Live Photos but come on Apple - normal photos and no music?

Does anyone know if the iPhone 6 has this issue?

Sep 27, 2015 12:45 AM in response to Kjzee

I have the same issue with my 6S model with iOS 9.0.1. The camera app did not mute/stop the music on my 5S model with the new iOS 9.0.1. And I agree with most of you. This is a deal breaker for me too.

This most be a software (app) problem rather than hardware. I suspect the camera app made for the 6S model that is to blame and that is causing the music to stop. I had another app on my 5S model that did exactly the same thing. This was after an app update rather then a iOS update.

Does anyone know how to contact apple's team to have this mute function in the camera app removed?

Sep 27, 2015 1:59 AM in response to Kjzee

LIve photos is the centre circle icon in camera app. It's takes video before and after the picture. You can then push on the picture and see it like a short video. It's very cool. Info here: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/25/live-photos-iphone-6s-video/

IM logging a support call here: https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action I'll post the results of the call here. Be good if others can too so we can find out the right answer and put pressure on them to fix it.

Sep 27, 2015 2:25 AM in response to jazeboy

I think you are spot on. I remember when using the camera app on the 5S and switching to film video... the music stopped.

Now when the new 6S have the (according to me) redicilous "Live" functions when taking pictures (takes a short video when taking a picture) the camera app is always a kind of video camera function and therefore behaves similar to the video camera and stops all the musik and podcast players.

We can choose to switch off... or not to use the "Live" function and it won't take the video. However it doesn't let the musik or podcast to play on. I will suggest Apple to change this so when the "Live" function is switch off, it won't have an impact on any music or podcast player.

Sep 27, 2015 2:56 AM in response to KidsterLondon

I spoke to Apple and that's pretty much what he said. The music stops when you switch to video mode so that it can record audio. This is the same for live photo too, it records a frankly pointless snippet of audio and video at the same time. Which is great if you're always taking photos of your friends falling over but pretty pointless if you're stills of buildings, landscapes or whatever.

He did say that if you have live photo off and switch to photo mode it should carry on playing but it doesn't on mine. He's asked me to restore the phone and see if that makes any difference... If not I guess it's a bug or they haven't thought it through properly.

i dong know if you can disable Live Photos.... If you can I guess that might work...

Sep 27, 2015 3:24 AM in response to Kjzee

Thank you for taking the time to make the call and to share it with us.

You can't disable the Live Photos but you can switch it off at the top when camera is opened (round icon in the middle) and it won't record any video. Well I guess this is a bug then. Sounds like they have an idea on how they want this to work (not interrupting a player when using the camera app without the "Live" function).

Cant believe they suggest to restore the phone as it is loads of work setting up the phone again.

If anyone does restore the phone and have got this to work, please share with the rest of us.

As many as possible... please log this as a bug and hopefully it will be gone in the next coming patches and updates.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Sep 27, 2015 2:39 PM in response to Kjzee

Yeah there's something going on... I did do a fresh install and it messed everything up. iTunes password wasn't accepted, kept logging me in to the country, iCloud back up didn't work, couldn't download apps from the App Store during the reinstall... But hey it did carry on playing music whilst using the camera... Just couldn't have access to Spotify or anything else to listen to music in the first place... 6 hours later, 3 reinstalls and j have access to Spotify and the App Store and guess what...! ;-) music stops playing when you open the camera!!

think I'm going to stop there... Life's too short...!

its clearly a bug and no doubt it will get sorted at some point...in the meantime report it!

good luck! :-)

My iPhone stops playing music when taking photos?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.