Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6S Screen Scratches

Anyone else experience small surface scratches on their 6S? I knew it was an issue with the 6 and only one day after owning the phone, I notice small surface scratches. Phone has only been in my pocket, not exposed to keys or anything.

Iphone 6S 64gb iOS 9.0.1

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 3:03 PM

41 replies

May 23, 2017 5:53 AM in response to roheritage

I've had my iPhone 6s Plus for just over a year and a half and my screen is completely destroyed. There are scratches all up and down the phone edges and many in the center of the screen as well. I also have a hugely deep scratch in the left by the volume rockers. I have never exposed my iPhone to anything accessive, and I have had a case on in since day one. The case has a lip on it (Otterbox Commuter) and should have prevented from scratches on table surfaces and from drops. I will be contacting Apple about this and see what they will do for an out of warranty phone.

Oct 1, 2015 9:10 AM in response to roheritage

Hi roheritage:

If you're noticing, what you believe to be, possible hardware defects with the newly-released iPhone 6s please contact AppleCare to make them aware. During new device releases it's good practice to call in to make sure that odd issues you are experiencing are documented and brought to the attention of the company.

AppleCare: 1-800-APL-CARE

Oct 19, 2015 8:21 PM in response to roheritage

Yep. I'm on my second 6S now. After about ten days of normal use, I noticed very fine scratches in the center, about an inch from the top. I've owned the 3GS, 4S, and 5S before the first 6S I returned. None of my previous iPhones scratched like this so soon, or at all over two years, without screen protectors. So, I took it into the store last Thursday, and the two reps that helped me had one look, and kicked me a second 6S, no questions asked. Both said "that's not right". Well guess what? Five days later, and this second 6S has a couple scratches now, too. One near the top left corner. One in the center, an inch above the home button. This one, like the first, has only been in cotton lined pockets (always by itself), or face-up on tables, or in my hands. Being that I've been extra conscious of this second one, I know I've done nothing to abuse the screen. Zero carelessness here.

So, now what? Get a protector for the third that will be in my hand in a couple days? F that. They don't feel the same, and are prone to peeling up at the edges. And, according to Apple, and Apple reps themselves, protectors "aren't necessary" (see any Apple brand protectors? ya don't).

What ever glass / glass/coating they're using now, since the 5S, it's either not as durable against fine scratches, or this first batch is simply defective. But, researching iPhone 6 stories from about a year ago today say otherwise to this being a batch defect issue.

Have a close look at your 6/6S'. I'm sure you've got scratches going on, too...

Oct 20, 2015 8:31 AM in response to iTrev

Just for documentation sake...

Model

Space Grey 6S 128GB

Purchase Date #1

10/2/15

Purchase Date #2 / Date of Return

10/15/15

Return Process

The first phone was handled as a full return. It was purchased under Apple's new upgrade program, as was the second/replacement phone. The credit check was ran all over again, and a new first payment was made (the first payment for the first phone is to be credited). The second phone was handled as a entirely new purchase (not an exchange), and came packaged in regular retail packaging.

I'll be returning this second phone this Thursday, and am considering going back to my 5S instead of acquiring a third 6S. $850 devices with touch screens should NOT mar this easily...

Oct 21, 2015 7:53 PM in response to iTrev

...and to follow up, I've now received my third 6S. Again, the scratches "should not have happened". I've thrown a screen protector on this third one. I had intentions of going back to my 5S, but after moving to the 4.7" screen, the 5S feels like a toy. That, plus the 2gigs of RAM in the 6S is extremely apparent. Anyways....

If you've got hairline scratches in Apple's "most durable glass yet", most certainly, take that **** back, and have 'em send it back up the supply chain. Apple strives for engineering perfection. You, as Apple product consumers, should expect nothing less, yourselves.

Oct 21, 2015 9:09 PM in response to DannybuoyCA

So, as usual APPLE was just great to deal with. I called and they offered to send me a replacement by courier or told me I could go to my APPLE Store. I choose the latter. Within 30 minutes of arriving I was on my way out of the store with an iPhone 6s replacement.

I have had it for two weeks now and no scratches. Fingers crossed.

My original post:

"I just got my phone on Friday and the top and bottom of the front screen is completely scratched. I only put it in my pocket, like I have done with every other iPhone since the original iPhone. None of the other phones have scratched along this edge. Something is wrong here..."

Oct 22, 2015 1:47 PM in response to ShackrockScott

Shackrock.. If it visual to see then I would take it back and show them.. mine too was scratches and marks didn't go away. think it inside of the screen... mine wasn't felt like u talking,,,, I finally agree 4 a replacement since they didn't have a new one in stock.. which really I don't understand the difference in boxes since one came in apple box original the replacement was in a small white box. anyway I would take it back..... they took care of me.. it took me 2x to the store they took care of me... good luck...

iPhone 6S Screen Scratches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.