Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone issues after iOS 9/9.0.1 update

Hello! I have been having multiple issues with my iPhone 5s after the iOS software updates. I will list the issues under whichever update I noticed they began.

iOS 9 Update

-Battery drain -- expected and not too terrible, but enough of a hindrance to have me charging the phone by 7 or 8 pm (I have already taken measures to stop this before the update. I have the screen brightness turned down, I have shut off many of my apps from refreshing in the background, I make sure all apps are completely closed out of, I have the screen lock set to 1 minute without activity, etc.)

-Missed Call notification issue -- I get a missed call, go to the call log to check it, close out of the call log, and the notification remains there. It takes multiple times of opening and closing the call log and/or flipping between the call log and my voicemail or contacts before the notification will go away. Very annoying!

-Text ringtone -- After the update, my texting ringtone does not always play. It is very hit or miss. I have to check my phone periodically just to make sure I am not missing incoming text messages because the tone does not play.

-Glitches -- phone seems overall more buggy after update, becomes slow and glitchy when going from one app to the other or closing out of all apps

-Touchscreen malfunctions -- trying to hang up on a call or use speakerphone is hit or miss because the touchscreen does not respond to my taps sometimes

iOS 9.0.1 Update

-Updated on its own -- I never updated to the new version on my own. My phone completely died and when it powered back on, the update had begun on its own. There was no way for me to close the update.

-Settings -- Every time my phone is shut off and turned back on, the Settings app automatically starts up. I have to make sure to immediately close out of the app after the phone has powered back on or else it will just keep running in the background.

-Many of the issues after the initial update remain such as battery drain, Missed Call notification, glitches when switching between apps or closing them, and touchscreen malfunctions.

Does anyone have any fixes for any of these problems or has anyone experienced the same ones?

Thank you!

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 7:52 AM

Yes, I have sluggish problems with both ios 9 och 9.0.1 with both iPhone 5s 16GB and iPhone 6 64GB. Problems also in the Message app where I sometimes can't see what I'm typing.

Have been in contact with Apple Support and are waiting for their reply.

55 replies

Oct 2, 2015 9:28 AM in response to SolomonBrundy

I've had several issues with my iPhone 5s after updating.

- I have a notification on my phone app for 4 new voicemails, when I try and check them all I get is "you have no new voicemails."

- I have an issue where I can't turn the volume up or down during a phone call.

- I can't see what I'm typing in messages or on instagram sometimes.

> Sometimes it's just a blank white text box and sometimes my text box is covered by the audio recording option in messages.

Oct 2, 2015 2:05 PM in response to SolomonBrundy

I have updated to 9.0.2 and continue to have issues. The issues are getting worse with every update in all honesty. My 5s is much slower since the new update. My text tone went silent for over twelve hours and now that it's playing again, it sounds distorted. The phone animations are laggy, the my battery is dropping even faster, my Settings app continues to open on its own whenever the phone is shut off and turned back on, etc. This is very frustrating considering it has happened with every iPhone I have ever had. I have replaced two iPhones in the past because whenever the new software update comes in, the phone malfunctions to the point that I can't use it anymore. I haven't tried completely resetting the phone yet. I might try that and see how it goes.

Oct 5, 2015 5:48 PM in response to SolomonBrundy

This might help on the sound issue since it worked on my 5s after the upgrade:

Go to settings ==== Notifications ===== Messages ===== Sounds====== tap any sound in there and then go back to the original sound you have ====== have someone test text you. it should work on any sound in the 5s even typing and locking it.

I still have problems with battery issue that sometimes it over heats, the only thing i can do is to turn it off completely and turning it on again after 5 to 10 min. then recharge it.

hope this helps on the sound issue

Oct 5, 2015 6:31 PM in response to iphoneFanatic143

My iPhone 5s did not exhibit any problems after the 9.0 release but the 9.0.1 has made using the phone a hassle. Worst time with an iPhone in 4 years! Following the update I could not swipe to change screens nor activate an app until I hard rebooted the phone. This was happening everytime I wanted to do something. In desperation I reset the phone. No help. When 9.0.2 came out I decided it could not get worse and I was right but It did not fix the problems I have.

After days of experimentation I have found I can get the 5s to work by pushing the sleep/wake button to shut it off and then pushing the Home button on the phone, reopen, and it will work until the next time I have need of the phone which starts the cycle again. At least, I haven't had to hard boot the phone lately.

How about fixing some of the bugs before adding new features in 9.1?

Oct 6, 2015 1:12 PM in response to SolomonBrundy

I'm not pleased with iOS 9. I have an iPhone 6.

9.0 and 9.0.1: noticeable drain on battery now. Before it was great. Why????

9.0.2: I bought a text tone a long time ago. Now it plays the stock-iPhone text message alert. When I go to settings to choose the one I purchased, it appears I have selected it. It even plays the correct preview tone. However, when I receive a text - it plays the same lame iPhone stock tone.

Apple - bring back Steve Jobs (is that possible)?

Oct 6, 2015 1:50 PM in response to 91pwr

let me start by saying I have an iPhone 6 and 6+, both less than 1 year old and I am on Verizon on one phone and Sprint ont he other

It all started with iOS 9, everything was slow to respond when I touched it, but it would eventually respond. With 9.01, my camera would freeze and the picture would be black, it would be broad daylight and the nothing was blocking the camera lens, but it would be all black and the only way to fix it was to restart the phone. I was also dropping calls.

So I upgraded to iOS 9.02 when it became available, now my phone is worse than ever, camera freezes, internet searches freeze, facebook freezes, installed games freeze, response is super slow. It fails to respond most of the time when I touch anything. Siri has no clue what the heck I am asking for, she is now dumber than ever, when she does respond. If I ask her for the phone number for Pizza hut near me, she answers with, sorry I cannot process your request right now – or some BS like that. And no matter how slowly and perfectly I enunciate if I ask for directions to Turner Park in Omaha, she can’t find it.

I am constantly dropping calls or unable to even make them, because the phone is unresponsive when I touch it. I do a lot of conference calls, so I mute the phone when I am not speaking and there have been numerous times after the phone screen went to sleep, that I could not wake it up and I had to once again do a hard re-start, which logs me out of the call and I have to dial back in. This is happening now at least 2 times a week and people are beginning to wonder why I keep dropping off calls all the time.

I am doing hard restarts at least once a day, sometimes more, yesterday I did a hard restart 4 times and eventually threw the phone across the room and cancelled my conference calls for the rest of the day because the phone was acting up so badly. SO this phone is now affecting my ability to work!!

Also as other people have mentioned, the battery life is absolutely horrible. Steve Jobs would have never allowed crap like this to be released!! I expect a whole lot more out of a $800 phone. Is this some conspiracy to force people to buy a 6s?

iPhone issues after iOS 9/9.0.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.