Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail "Organize by Conversation", grouping rule is changed?

Turned on Mail "Organize by Conversation" option.

OSX used to group any mail with the same subject as a "conversation", but in El Capitan, it seems no longer group conversation by email subject alone?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 8:22 AM

Same issue here, after updating to El Capitan, this feature doesn't work anymore. Apparently just sent emails are organized. Any advice?

34 replies

Oct 20, 2015 9:55 PM in response to Marvin H.

Same here. I'd just like to bump this so we can get a solution.

I receive automated emails from my kids' daycare each day. Obviously by now I have hundreds of them. They used to be grouped nicely on the left-hand panel with a little number (say, 142) that could then be scrolled through on the right-hand panel. Now, each email from them is listed separately on the left, clogging my inbox.

The older system was far better.

Oct 21, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Marvin H.

Marvin H. wrote:

It seems that they are now only grouping emails that have "Re:" in the subject and not just the same subject. I've run some tests and emails with "Re:" get grouped and those with just the same subject do not.

Nor really. Like the email notifications from this discussion forum, all are nicely grouped into one conversation, but each subject is unique.

Oct 21, 2015 9:24 AM in response to s2s

I have not tried all perturbations of email but I have exchanged email between two accounts and with the same subject but no "Re:" there is no grouping, same subject with "Re:" and they get grouped. Try it yourself.

Messages from this forum do get grouped without the "Re:" but there is some other method involved. Probably an email header that Apple uses because it wrote Apple Mail to recognize it.

Oct 23, 2015 10:44 AM in response to MartyZed

I experimented with this a bit - the "organized by conversation" appears to be "organize by 'references' AND 'subject' using the logical "AND" operator meaning both fields have to be equal and then the messages are grouped together.

"References" appear to be unique ID numbers created for each message and appended to the previous referenced (replied to?) messages for each thread.

You can see the list of referenced messages on a grouping by pressing "cmd-shift-h" or "view, message, headers" when a message is selected.

I liked the old way myself - I have an automated hourly e-mail sent (from a weather station) that I liked having grouped together...

Mail "Organize by Conversation", grouping rule is changed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.