Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 9.0.2 update -> Now touchscreen problems!

I updated my iPhone 5s 64g to iOS 9.0.2 from 9.0.1 last night over wifi, immediately the phone started misregistering my finger press and touch locations. The screen now intermittently opens apps, fails to allow the keyboard to be used correctly, will register touches when I am not even touching the phone. I had the phone in a lifeproof case (nuud) with screen protector (yes this is how it's supposed to be done!) - after the errors began I tried removing the case, removing the screen protector, and hard resetting the phone - this is NOT a hardware issue!

Hard resetting the iphone will sometimes clear the issue for a few minutes, then it begins again sporadically and intermittently - yet often enough that it is a huge headache to deal with. I can now pretty much only reliably use my phone through siri, and only then if I can get the phone to unlock from a hard reset! I spoke to apple support via chat, they recommended that I backup to icloud and restore the phone as "new iphone" and then only to restore data from the icloud backup. I made an appointment with my local "genius" bar (ugh do I hate saying that) though since this device is now outside of the 1 year warranty & applecare, And even though the update caused the error they will likely only replace the device with a replica for $269...

SUPER FRUSTRATED AT YOU APPLE!!! Give us a way to roll back these failed updates!!!

Update: When the iphone is plugged in to my macbook pro the touchscreen problems completely go away! possible emergency stop-gap solution... may as well tape my iphone to my macbook and walk around with it boombox-style. That's true apple swag.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.2, ios update causes screen problems

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 12:27 PM

117 replies

Nov 3, 2017 7:33 PM in response to bonsai_

YES,

I am having the same exact issues since the last update! I have tried similar things with nearly identical results! I have always preferred Apple products even though I am convinced by this generation of software that the updates are designed to illicit issues in any phone model that is not the most recent in their line. The inability to use my phone for basic functions without it jumping screens mistyping and sending messages without my consent including location sharing is simply infuriating. This will be the last iPhone I buy, time to move to the Android world.

Glad to know I'm not alone.

Oct 8, 2015 2:57 PM in response to bonsai_

iPhone 6 Plus updated it to 9.0 .2 solely because of Apple notification.

TOUCHSCREEN top right corner is not operable 95 % of time. I will not purchase another iPhone. Called support. Stated backup and restore. Yes, backup and restore the iphone using the latest software version that caused this problem. This started at 10:00 today, and guess what the restore is still not complete. I received error messages after attempted to use iTunes per support. States my firmware was not compatible. Give me a break Apple. Your iPhone is garbage.

I remember when I bought my first iPhone back around 2007. I returned it and kept my BlackBerry. Reason is it wasn't practical it. It looked good but wasn't reliable in the same is true today. In the BlackBerry days I never spent all my time looking around with it. It was a tool to get things done and it worked. You can spin around for hours each week monkeying around with updating your iPhone because of some software issue or iTunes reinstallations. I've come to the conclusion that the iPhone is not a productivity tool or anything really good. As and entertainment device download and watch a movie that might download or might not require signing in all the time, seriously what about just turning the television on -end the story. Apple just steals a person's time and fills it's pockets with our money. Apple call me and give me back my money and take this peace of junk and hang it on a Christmas tree.

Oct 9, 2015 1:41 PM in response to bonsai_

Having the same problem. Apple is known for the stable OS, but they are making me disappointed over and over again. In my case the touchscreen is working but whenever my phone receives some pressure on the top of the screen, It will ( that upper black part around the front microphone) intermittently opens apps, fails to allow the keyboard to be used correctly, will register touches when I am not even touching the phone. At first i thought this might be a hardware issue but then I came here to recheck. And i've got my answers and DISAPPOINTED again with their OS. 😠

REALLY DISAPPOINTED WITH APPLE!! 😟

Oct 10, 2015 3:24 AM in response to bonsai_

Same problems!!! My iPhone5S is completely useless now. At first I thought, must be some settings I did not checked after upgrading to 9.0.2 but that's not the case after reading from all users. I was like "How the f**k my screen is sensing a touch without touching a screen ? I never bought iPhone50S with some future cutting edge touch technology 😝"

I cannot check any of application which I use in my normal life. Really disappointed as I could do nothing with this piece of junk anymore.I hope Apple comes with an update in next 2 days else I will be forced to use my backup Sony Android phone on which I never had such problems.

"""Probably the main reason Apple is coming out with crappy IOS releases is they no more have Steve Jobs"""

Oct 12, 2015 7:08 AM in response to bonsai_

Bloody Same issue for me.. I heard a lot about quality of apple products and so I bought my first iphone (Iphone6) and first thing it showed is update to IOS 9.0.2 and its a complete bull ****.. and now I regret selling my note 4 and bought a Iphone6.

List of F**cing problems I faced.

1. WIFI Connectivity Issues. (It doesn't open safari page as I have to login to a service provider page have to do this on laptop and then re-connect to wifi)
  2. Touch Screen Freezes Out (Have to lock the phone and unlock it again to bring back the screen to respond to touch)
  3. Touch goes on its own.(like some black magic happened to my phone)
  4. Opens apps on its own.
  5. Keyboard Types on its own(Specially it types "Y", "G" and "H" most of the times)
  6. Music seems a big mess.(I have to Keep mobile data on to even hear the songs which I had added to "Make available offline").
  7. A BIG REGRET for Paying APPLE a Huge MONEY to get this Bloody Useless Brick (Android is the king)

Going back to ANDROID.

Oct 12, 2015 8:56 AM in response to bonsai_

I have a 5c and my carrier is Verizon. Since updating last week, I experienced numerous problems including many of those listed above. I called Verizon tech support this morning and they were surprisingly helpful. My biggest complaint was that suddenly web pages were NOT loading (the site would half-load, and then the screen would just go black and back to my phone's home screen). In addition, my touch screen was fickle and sometimes useless.

Verizon walked me through the process of: resetting my network settings, removing my sim card, logging back on to my wifi network, and then clearing Safari's history and website data. It actually worked. I think the issue has been resolved and even the touch screen seems to be cooperating more. It took about an hour to resolve, but the steps are actually easy and shouldn't take others as much time.

Oct 12, 2015 7:32 PM in response to bonsai_

I Buy iPhone because in the past they are relatively stable and almost have 0 hang record But too bad after I make an upgrade to IOS 9.0.2. This advantage is on longer relevant . i think the next phone I gonna buy is sumsung if the keyboard isssue is not being solve. iPhone is junk now with the key hang like almost every 5 minutes after reset the phone

ios 9.0.2 update -> Now touchscreen problems!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.