Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El capitan freeze during install

My 2013 MacBook pro has frozen during the install.

1. I downloaded from the app store and began the install process.

2. The computer rebooted for the next step of the install process

3. The white install bar is frozen at 90% Fans are running at top speed.

What should I do?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), iPhone 5s, MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 9:41 AM

You can try stopping the MBP with the power button. Once it is stop for 20 seconds or so power it back up again and see if that helps.

76 replies

Oct 4, 2015 8:27 PM in response to Denbee

Exactly the same problem on my late 2014 MacBook Pro Retina.

2nd time now trying to get the install to work, both times its frozen at 90% of the install on the plain white progress bar.

It won't restart in Safe Mode however I can get it to boot to recovery mode (which is the new El Capitan format) so the first time I restored from a backup.

Oct 5, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Denbee

I found the problem. Reading other posts and forums I found that one problem that causes an El Capitan boot freeze is a bad extension. To find if this is your problem.

1. Boot in safe mode, (command + R)

2. Login and go to Mac HD/Library/Extensions and create a folder called unsupported.

3. Copy all the .kext files to the unsupported folder. It will copy and leave the original file in place, delete those files. (You should have the copies in the unsupported folder.)

4. Reboot

5. It it is a .kext extension problem El Capitan will boot correctly

6. Move the .kext files back one at a time and reboot till you find the bad. .kext file.

Oct 5, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Denbee

I created a El Capitan boot USB stick using Yosemite and the El Capitan download.

Then I rebooted holding the "option" key to choose the boot disk. From here I deleted my hard drive (i have a time machine backup) then installed a clean El Capitan using the boot USB.

Then once finished I migrated my data using the time machine back up when the installation was complete.

All working fine now.

Oct 5, 2015 8:28 AM in response to Denbee

IF there is no Hardware problem:

Installing a new version of Mac OS X starts with a Restart. This boots up a stripped-down version of the new, incoming software. The Installer in that new software then unpacks and copies files, getting ready for the complete version of the new software. When all appears to be going well, it begins moving files into position to run the complete new version at the next Startup. If that goes well it moves temporary files to the Trash and Restarts. This entire process typically takes 10 to 30 minutes (not counting the download time).

If it dies early in the process, especially before copying files into position, the Install process is intended to leave your original System in place, unmodified. So you should see whether you can still boot the old System before you take desperate measures.

If it dies immediately after the first Restart, your Mac may not be compatible with the new System, the download could be damaged, or there may be a Hardware problem.

Oct 9, 2015 11:39 AM in response to Faisol

Thanks Denbee for your reply. In fact, I have 13 .kext files. I copied all into the unsupported folder and then moved back each one, one at a time, followed by a restart for each copy-paste. However, I did not find any corrupted file, and I moved all 13 files with 13 restarts and it seems my computer is working fine after this. Now I have 13 .kext inside the unsupported folder and 13 copied one outside the folder. Not facing the screen frozen issue like before. Should I leave it like this for now? Hope Apple will release a patch quickly.

Oct 10, 2015 9:51 PM in response to Denbee

Thanks very much Denbee. My Mac Air was stuck at 90%, was upgrading from snowleopard so didnt know if this would work. In safe mode I couldn't see any kext files and could not use "Suspicious Packages" because finder wasnt working. So i just deleted my Firefox Web plug-ins in Terminal and the install proceeded fine. Thanks for directing me here!

El capitan freeze during install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.