Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan Bugs: USB Ports Not working + Shut down / Restart Problems

Since I updated to El Capitan, a couple of big issues:

1) My USB ports are not working properly. My superdrive won't get any power, so can't load any CDs. My USB mic (which worked fine with Yosemite) shows briefly as connected, and then immediately drops off. External hard drives, strangely, seem to work ... if intermittently. Huge problems here as I need to use my mic and CD drive, etc.

2) I can't shut down nor restart! When I try, the screen clears the desktop except for the background image, and then... nothing. I have to reboot and shut down manually by holding the power button every time.

This is on a mid-2012 Macbook Pro Retina.

I've reset the P Ram, I've reset the SMC, I've cleared my login items, and I've done a second clean re-install of El Capitan.

Any ideas? Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 6:28 PM

41 replies

Jan 8, 2017 8:50 PM in response to JLSELWYN

SOLUTIONS THAT WORK:

I have a MBP 13" late 2012 running Sierra 10.12.2, a Blue Yeti Pro and Screenflow simultaneously on two monitors.

First, sometimes a Yeti will just shut down the USB ports... like kill them and give you the "The device is drawing too much juice from the port, so I killed it," message. Unplug everything and shut Mac down. PLUG NOTHING into the USB and re-start. Change cables on the Yeti (my problem happens when I plug in the Yeti's cable WITHOUT the mic attached, so it's the cable that comes with the mic). After it recognizes the Yeti with the new cable you can switch back (until it happens again).

Secondarily, I CONSTANTLY have to go to System Preferences-Sound and then go to the "Input". Sometimes the Mic is highlighted, sometimes not. If not, I change to it. THEN even if it is selected, I have to slide the input volume slider back and forth before the Yeti works.

Hope this helps!

Oct 5, 2015 8:07 AM in response to JLSELWYN

I haven't checked out all the multiple problems you mentioned except the restart and shut down. I found a temporary solution to that by using the Guest side. In System Preferences Users and Groups change your settings to show your name or icon in the right side of the menu bar, click on that, go to Guest side and sign out from there or just go to Login Window and sign out from there. I shortened my password to make this faster.

Oct 5, 2015 11:03 AM in response to Conyous

I've had 3 support phone calls with Apple. They've had me do a few OS re-installs, but the problem persists.

I've been told "This is one of the strangest problems we've ever heard."

And that perhaps it's a hardware issue... but again, everything was working fine in Yosemite.

Taking it to the Apple store today for a diagnosis. I'll update here if I get a solid answer on things.

Oct 8, 2015 4:44 AM in response to JLSELWYN

SSame problems all around, I have reinstalled several ( about 7) times the El Capitan ...and then reformat my SSD Drive , download the Yosemite and made a boot SD with the YOSEMITE.Finally I installed the Yomesite, but I can not recover my file s from my external NAS throuhgth Time Machine !!! Hope for a quick solution from Apple !!! Such a waist of time and ....

Oct 8, 2015 3:42 PM in response to JLSELWYN

I have the same USB port problem. I can watch my printers go to idle then offline back and forth - they went offline full time after about 5 minutes. Second clean install. I have a mid-2007 24" iMac using all USB drives including my boot drive. Drives appear to work OK but my ScanSnap, Brother and Canon printers, Epson V600 do not want to work full time. ScanSnap worked, did a scan then bounced on and off line like the printers now off line. If I boot via another disk on same hub into 10.5 everything works just fine, so I am pretty sure that this is a software issue, not hardware, unless it has something to do with the old USB drivers on older machines.

Sure wish Apple would fix - this is a big problem.

Oct 8, 2015 3:45 PM in response to JLSELWYN

Latest update:

I returned to the Apple store again. The genius bar determined there is one of my applications or files someplace that is causing my issues.

Again, I'm unable to use certain USB devices, unable to shut down, unable to restart, unable to log out. Have to reboot/shut down manually every time.

We removed certain kext files, removed any suspicious application files, basically tried everything in the book.

They said it's impossible to isolate what single file might be causing these misfires.

So the problems remain - and the next suggestion is that I completely reformat my computer, do a fresh OS install, and then back up user data ONLY from time machine (i.e. do NOT restore applications). This is going to be annoying as I'll have to re-install all my applications, but I guess it's the next thing to try.

Oct 9, 2015 11:36 AM in response to JLSELWYN

UPDATE - problem mostly fixed:

I backed up the computer, erased my entire internal disk, ran an internet recovery (which strangely only allowed me to recover Mountain Lion OS) - then updated to El Capitan.

Instead of running a complete time machine backup, I copied over select user files - documents, music, photos, videos, etc.

I'm re-installing all apps from scratch.

For now, this has fixed the following:

- Superdrive via USB is now working

- Restart / Shut Down / Log Out User are now working

Regarding my USB mic (Blue Yeti Pro), I emailed the manufacturer and they said this is a known issue with Blue USC mics.

They said they're awaiting a fix from Apple on that front.

So, it's a square one reinstall of El Capitan, copying over user files a la carte, and reinstalling all apps from scratch.

El Capitan Bugs: USB Ports Not working + Shut down / Restart Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.