Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan - App store and iTunes won't let me sign in

So i updated to el capitan, but when i tried to sign in to apple music from iTunes the login sheet accepts my login details but the wheels keep spinning and the login sheet never goes away. My CPU usage from iTunes shoots up to 120+%.

Same for the app store, the login window never goes away. Now i can't update any of my apps, nor re-download el capitan to perform a clean install.

HELP!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 1:51 PM

I have the same problem on my macbook pro 13 " . I can not update any applications. Additionally my battery consumption is reduced by 50 %

76 replies

Oct 6, 2015 1:58 PM in response to ifewalter

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that may help after an OS X update or upgrade.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

About Safe Mode

Oct 6, 2015 7:56 PM in response to ifewalter

I am having this same issue. I cannot log in to any of apple's products from my Mac, but I can login to icloud.com or apple's commenting system, so the issue isn't with the account.

I'm not connected to a VPN (Seems like this can cause this issue in others), I have gone into safe mode and the issue still persists. I've tried creating a new admin account, signing out of all the apps (which is why I'm no longer signed in to the store...), etc.

I'm not exactly sure what is going on, and it doesn't seem to be a super wide-spread issue otherwise it would be easier to find comments online.

I'm running the 2013 15" macbook pro retina. I have only had this issue since updating to El Capitan.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Oct 7, 2015 12:14 AM in response to ifewalter

Same problem on Mac-mini (late 2012) 2.3QC/2X8G/2X1TB/AP/BT/SVR-USA.Can not log into iCloud, AppStore, iTunes Store, etc. Opened Support Case. The initial suggestion was to re-install El Capitan. Try again in safe mode, and create and use alternate user. None of that worked and was huge waste of time. The problem is the install erases the machines serial number. By examining the System Log it will be evident the certificate failures are due to the missing serial number; The About-This-Mac serial number field shows "unavailable" where the number should be. Only solution thus far appears to be a trip to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store Unless there is a way to re-flash or restore S/N file by using a backup image from time machine? Thanks for help in advance.

Oct 7, 2015 11:48 PM in response to ifewalter

I know this does not help anyone, but if someone finds an answer, at least I will be notified...I think.

I have a Mac Mini i7 processor....the install failed several times (That should have been my first hint) I booted from another system and was able to download El Cap... I installed, and everything works fine, just cannot log into iTunes. So I cannot watch movies I have purchased without verifying my Apple ID. I try and all I get is the log in window and a spinning wheel. Good news is that I can re-boot into another system (10.9) and everything works fine. I guess I will have to stay booted into this drive until Apple fixes this problem.

AGAIN...any answers, PLEASE post them here!

Thanks!

Oct 8, 2015 2:21 AM in response to ifewalter

I have this same issue too.

My Mac Pro went in for a logic board replacement a couple of years ago and the engineer forgot to flash my computer's serial number so in About This Mac my serial number reads as 'Unavailable'. I've never been able to sign into Messages on previous versions of OS X which I understand is due to the missing Serial No. I wonder if Apple has changed how it checks for a real Mac and my real Mac Pro looks like a Hackintosh?

Can those of you, like me, who are locked out of iTunes and Mac App store check if your serial number is showing in the About This Mac area please?

I've created new Admin accounts and run in safe mode and still no joy. The login spinner just spins until I have to force quite either iTunes or the Mac App store.

Can anyone think of anything else to try other than reinstalling Yosemite?

Oct 8, 2015 3:10 AM in response to Colourist

This is my exact situation. Except in my case, I have never replaced anything on my almost 4 year old macbook pro. I even still use the original magsafe 1 charger. I bought it from an "Authorized apple dealer".

The serial number field in about this mac has a value, but apsd keeps saying its invalid.

After spending over a commulative 1 hour speaking with apple care. Nothing good came out of it.

I have resolved to revert back to Yosemite till apple fixes this **** or skip el capitan entirely.

El Capitan - App store and iTunes won't let me sign in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.