Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Settings & Other Apps Open in iOS 9 After Reboot

Using iOS 9:

Prior to rebooting my iPhone 6, I always close all Apps, but after reboot, Settings is OPEN.

On my iPad (4th Gen), Settings & Other Apps are OPEN after reboot, despite all Apps being closed prior to reboot.

Anyone else encounter this, or know of a fix?

Thanks 🙂

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 5:11 AM

28 replies

Oct 7, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Guppi Q

I have iPhone 5s running ios 9.0.2 and I just noticed today that after closing all apps, powering down and then back on again, 5 apps were open that I was certain were closed prior to power off.

Tried forced restart, as suggested by elcpu, and still; those same 5 apps appeared to be open upon restarting: (Settings, Google News, Words, Messages and OWA.) I am certain I closed everything prior to reboot.

Oct 7, 2015 2:07 PM in response to Guppi Q

When you click the Home button, iOS does not truly close an App, it removes it from your view but it leaves it active in the multitasking window. To completely close an App do the following (please do not skip any steps):

Double click the Home button somewhat fast and then swipe up all the App preview panes until they disappears from the screen. There will be many active panes/apps there so do the above for all apps until the only one remaining is the Home screen. Then click on Home once. Then do a forced restart again. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything. Now the only "App" running is the Home screen. Try that and see what happens. Same for you EeSsBb.

Oct 7, 2015 3:13 PM in response to elcpu

I know how to close an App. Swipe up after double clicking Home. That's not the issue.

Nor should I have to hard-restart in order to close Settings.

Settings is re-opening after reboot. That's the issue.

No other Apps are running prior to reboot. Only Settings is open and running after reboot.

I should be able to close all Apps, power off my device and after it starts up, have all Apps still closed.

But Settings is open.

This did not happen in previous iOS versions.

Oct 7, 2015 3:51 PM in response to elcpu

Thanks, elcpu, but I already performed the following steps prior to posting my original description of my issue and like Guppi Q, the apps will not truly close out of the home screen. They reappear as 'open' upon powering on the phone:

Double click the Home button somewhat fast and then swipe up all the App preview panes until they disappears from the screen. There will be many active panes/apps there so do the above for all apps until the only one remaining is the Home screen. Then click on Home once. Then do a forced restart again. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears.

So, I look forward to any new information or additional suggestions. Considering Guppi Q and I have similar problems on different devices, I'm thinking its iOS 9.0.2 related.

Oct 7, 2015 4:18 PM in response to Guppi Q

Do you want help? Your last post was more of a rant. Remember that I am not Apple and Apple does not read these posts. I am a user just like you who volunteers some of his time trying to help others and I have helped many in the past. I have walked you through various preliminary steps which are easy to perform - they work for some issues, they did not work for you. I can now take you to the more time consuming efforts which will likely resolve it. This is not an issue with iOS 9, it is an issue with your devices and your specific installation. My wife and I own an iPhone and an iPad each, all on 9.0.2, and we are not having any problems. There are millions just like us. So again, if you are interested in a solution I will offer you the next recommendation, more time consuming, more elaborate but likely to take care of it. If not, you can send your displeasure to Apple here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Oct 7, 2015 4:25 PM in response to EeSsBb

EeSsBb, I suggest that you open up a new thread and I will try to help you there. No two users and no two issues are ever completely the same, what works for one may not work for another. I am going to be away for a couple of hours but will check when I get back. If no one else has resolved your issue I will give it a try. I will walk you through a likely solution but please provide as much detail about your specifics as possible, that always helps....

elcpu

Oct 8, 2015 6:59 AM in response to Guppi Q

I noticed this the other day and again this morning.

After closing all apps then restarting my iPhone 6s running OS 9.0, several apps that I have not opened

for a week or more are open.

It appears that it preserves a saved state which is a great feature but we should be able to toggle it on or off.

Additionally it's unclear why it only some apps are open while others are not.

Oct 8, 2015 7:29 AM in response to soundz714

To pureangyl and soundz714,

Please see my response to EeSsBb on this thread:

Apps stay open after reboot in ios 9

Hopefully doing the same will work for you. This is not a universal bug as it is limited to some devices only. I and most others do not have the problem thus my recommendations to EeSsBb.... My wife and I have 4 iOS devices and ours behave as they should - all Apps close and remain close after shutting down in multitasking.

Attached below are 2 screenshots. The first one was taken at 9:16 AM CDT right after closing all active Apps in the multitasking window. I then shut off my iPhone and restarted a minute later. Immediately after restarting I went to multitasking and took the second screenshot, all Apps were still closed at 9:17 AM, no Apps were auto restarted. You should be seeing the same but obviously are not. So I recommend that you go to the thread above and follow my recommendations there. Hopefully they will work for you. I also recommend that you update to 9.0.2, this version resolved many bugs.

Cheers,

elcpu

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Settings & Other Apps Open in iOS 9 After Reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.