Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intermittent freezing/typing lag with El Capitan

Experiencing intermittent freezing (typing lag) since upgrading to El Capitan on my Early 2008 15" Macbook Pro. Regardless of application - while typing, the cursor will freeze and withhold characters and then pickup the typing again. Difficult to log into sights requiring passwords because it will freeze while typing a password. It actually has frozen several times while typing into this forum causing me to retype words as I go. I saw something about resetting the SMC on another forum and so I tried that - fixed the keyboard light issue I had been experiencing - but freezing/lagging continues. Any suggestions?

Macbook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.5.7), 2.6 ghz - Purchased May 2008

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 11:23 AM

43 replies

Mar 2, 2017 4:23 PM in response to Baldmac

I'm experiencing the same keyboard stalling and mouse hesitation on my MBP (15-inch Early 2008). I've loaded El Capitan onto a blank USB disk and used that to boot my Mac. Even with no personalization, even at the login screen, the mouse and/or keyboard will freeze. So it's not any software I've downloaded. The problem lies somewhere in the SMC or bios or other hard wired data that El Capitan reads when setting up the OS X on the disk. I've noticed for instance, that pat bluetooth paired devices show up in System Preferences, even on a brand new wiped disk and new install. So El Capitan is gathering this data from non-disc data saved in bios or SMC. Not sure what it is there that's causing the problem. But I think that's where the problem originates.

May 7, 2017 9:35 PM in response to mario49

I have been having this problem for years on all the operating systems since switching to the blue tooth keyboard. For some reason it seems to have something to do with cut and past. Whenever the problem course I'll cut some small line of text and then paste it back in and things return to normal at least for a while. At times I will cut and past a lot of text and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my browser memory cache?

Jun 1, 2017 1:50 PM in response to Laris

Why do you think it's Spotlight? It scans fs while looking into Console logs, it's some driver issue:

2017. 06. 01. 22:48:16,800 hidd[108]: MT gesture parser: logged tap-click count

2017. 06. 01. 22:48:16,800 hidd[108]: MT gesture parser: logged scroll/zoom/rotate count

2017. 06. 01. 22:48:16,800 hidd[108]: MT gesture parser logged double click timings

2017. 06. 01. 22:48:16,800 hidd[108]: MT gesture parser logged double click forces

2017. 06. 01. 22:48:16,801 hidd[108]: MT gesture parser logged double click rates

2017. 06. 01. 22:48:16,801 hidd[108]: MT gesture parser logged double click overshoots

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.MultitouchSupport.double_click_overshoots

com.apple.message.signature: 0

com.apple.message.os1: 0.000000

com.apple.message.os2: 0.000000

com.apple.message.os3: 0.000000

Oct 7, 2015 2:35 PM in response to Baldmac

Greetings Baldric,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, the computer lags when typing in any application. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

OS X El Capitan: If you think you have incompatible login items

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.
Take care

Oct 7, 2015 2:43 PM in response to Baldmac

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan.

Oct 14, 2015 10:13 PM in response to Baldmac

I've been having the same problem with my early 2008 MBP as well. I thought it might have been a hardware problem as I've recently replaced the logic board and done some other work inside, but I have this machine partitioned for 10.5.8 and 10.11.x and it never happens when running 10.5.8, but happens every few minutes in 10.11.0 (I first noticed it when running the betas).

The trackpad cuts out with about the same frequency (and possibly at the same time.) Again, for only about 2 seconds or less. Anything typed during that time is lost (not buffered as if the system is just busy).

Nov 22, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Baldmac

Exact same problem here to. Regular lag or freezing of trackpad and keyboard input at regular intervals lasting about 2 seconds each time. Happened again during this post. Doesn't seem to be associated with any application as it happens in Firefox, Safari, Notepad, TextEdit, Evernote, Calendar, Mail, etc. Only started when I upgraded to El Capitan three days ago. I'll continue troubleshooting and post a resolution if I find one, but would also appreciate any input or ideas.

Intermittent freezing/typing lag with El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.