Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone pictures don't load in Photos

Hello everyone

I recently downloaded iOS9 on my iPhone and El Capitan on my iMac. Ever since I'm encountering a problem when trying to import the pictures from my iPhone onto my iMac.

At first, sometimes they would still load in iPhoto/Photos, sometimes they wouldn't. Now they just don't.

iTunes recognizes my iPhone and syncs with it. iPhoto/Photos also recognize my iPhone, but the page in the apps remains blank. The photos won't load and thus I can't import them.

Could anyone help me on how to fix this?

Thank you!

Gregory from Belgium

iPhone 5, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 4:37 AM

38 replies

Apr 4, 2017 4:49 PM in response to gregoryfrombelgium

After trying the answers I found in forums I accidentally took a photo while in camera mode while connected to my Mac with the cable. Instantly the photos showed and importing was then working in Photos, iPhoto and ImageCapture. So apparently taking a photo fixed what ever was wrong at the iOS devices end and it began communicating again. Hope this works for you too.

Oct 12, 2015 4:52 AM in response to gregoryfrombelgium

First thing I would try is a simple reboot, both of your iPhone and your Mac. My Mac is rebooted at least daily (I switch off at night) and I try to reboot my iPhone (the 4s in my case) at least once a week. I have just made a picture with the iPhone (I hardly ever use a phone for making pictures; I take photography far more serious 😉), hooked up my iPhone to my iMac, and iTunes is launched immediately for syncing. I have to launch Photos (or iPhoto, I still have that program active as well) and both program show my phone in the left sidebar and in the middle two titles: Already imported (xx items) and below that New Photos (x photos).

If rebooting doesn't help, I wonder whether repairing your library would make a difference... It wouldn't hurt to try.

Oct 19, 2015 3:36 AM in response to gregoryfrombelgium

gregoryfrombelgium wrote:

I'd like to try to avoid a reset, seeing all I didn't was update my devices to the most recent Apple-software. I'd like to think I may expect it to work without having to fully reset my iPhone?

I guess so, and I would only suggest resetting as last resort. But it is strange (not that Photos doesn't see the iPhone -there are other reports of this issue- but that Image Capture is unable to help you out.

iPhone pictures don't load in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.