Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan and IPhoto??

So, I updated my system to El Capitan and LOST IPHOTO?? What is up with that? I can't even find my photos that were on IPHOTO.

I tried to update and the Apple Store tells me it's NOT AVAILABLE!! I use IPHOTO for my business, and now I'm DEAD IN THE WATER!!!

Anyone have a solution??

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 4:54 PM

74 replies

Oct 13, 2015 10:31 PM in response to Mikjr

First, a comment about the photos you lost from iPhoto. If you had done all the incremental updates of OS X and iPhoto, you would have had iPhoto 9.6.1 when Photos was introduced perhaps seven months ago with OS X 10.10.2 (or OS X 10.10.3). At that time, if you opened the Photos app, it would have migrated your iPhoto library into Photos.

Mikjr wrote:

... what next!?!?

Technology changes. If you have been doing photography-related business for a while, you've certainly seen it. For example, digital photography has taken over what used to be film-based photography.

What is next? Well, my guess is your Mac will become obsolete and need replacement in the not-too-distant future. But whatever it is, technology will continue to evolve.

Oct 14, 2015 4:31 AM in response to Mikjr

Mikjr wrote:

I bought my MAC for my business because I was told they were the best at what they did... Photo enhancing, movie making, music production. Little by little, they have pretty much destroyed the reason I bought a MAC!

So now I have to purchase a new program to enhance photos? what next!?!?

I'm guessing you still haven't found the Edit button:

User uploaded file

Which shows these:

User uploaded file

They are much more advanced than what iPhoto had, and they are extensible. Companies can produce plug-ins to add to the enhancements already available.

Oct 18, 2015 3:51 PM in response to Mikjr

I also do not like the new Photo program. Actually, I hate it!

1. When my photos were imported into the El Capitan's Photo, they appeared by dates under the heading "Photos". The first entry in this new Photos system is Jan 1, 2003. This Jan 1, 2003, entry contains photos of my three-year-old granddaughter who wasn't born until 2009 and pictures of another grandchild playing soccer outside in the summer! Whaaaat? I have no idea how tEl Capitan transferred & organized my pictures.

2. With iPhoto I was able to head each entry of photos using TEXT. I gave every batch of pictures an identifying heading followed by the date.

Thus, I could "name" each group of photos, like "Little Miss Chicken Pox" which contained pics of that granddaughter when she was ill.

Now I have to scroll down through all those dated lines of photos to find this event. I can't remember events by dates!

3. With iPhoto I could put text underneath every photo. Basically, my pictures in iPhotos became diary entries.

4. With iPhoto I could easily move photos from their original position into different areas. That made it very easy when I gathered photographs to make a book for this same grandchild. These photos all went into a single heading which was the name of her story... "The Little Chestnut."

I used to have Mavericks, an older iOS, that worked with iPhoto. I never updated for Yosemite. Why, oh why did I update to El Capitan?

I am not interested in sharing my photos across multiple Apple platforms. I'm not interested in substantial editing or things to do with movies. I'm just a grandmother who wants to store memories of my family in a way that's meaningful to me.

Also.... what's with those lines of tiny photos... what a silly feature!

Oct 18, 2015 4:23 PM in response to MolieJP

I hear what you're saying!! Why change something that's not broken? I'm having the same issue in moving photos around from one album to another. I've created albums... still trying to figure out how to move the photos.

I also regret upgrading to El Capitan... and that's really a shame that users have to feel that way!! Sometimes ignorance is bliss... I wish I would have just stayed with the older IOS!

Hopefully in time, the light bulb will go on and I'll be able to use Photos with no issues

El Capitan and IPhoto??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.