Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan 10.11.1 Install Problems

hello guys,

after updating my macbook pro mid 2010 to 10.11.1 the loading bar stops after updating at the end. I never had this kind of problem.

http://cdn2.tekrevue.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/safe-boot.jpg

thanks for the help

patrick

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), null

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 11:59 PM

145 replies

Jun 21, 2017 5:17 PM in response to Lenovostartup

apple has posted on their site that el captain is on site its not and Yosemite is not there unless you have downloaded before but what about the people how have not and is stuck with maverick and the new operating system that they can not get . this moment i feel that apple doesn't care or is unaware of the many that is left off their platforms because of the recent events that is doing nothing but leaving this apple "head biter "to his core

Oct 22, 2015 12:28 AM in response to Lenovostartup

Luigi Lugmayr at I4U News mentions Safe Boot as a remedy:

Holding down Shift while rebooting starts up OS X in safe mode. It is much slower as hardware acceleration of graphics is switched off. The short wait though paid off. My iMac continued to load to the log-in screen. After log-in, the OS X 10.11.1 update process continued and finished within a couple minutes. After restarting again, the iMac booted up without any problem with OS X 10.11.1 installed.

http://www.i4u.com/2015/10/95937/how-fix-os-x-10111-white-screen

Oct 23, 2015 8:33 AM in response to guguii

I could fix it with the help form another post (can't find it now)

-boot from other partition with OS X, external HD or try with recovery mode (I don't know if you can do this with the recovery partition of OS X)

-go to Library/Extensions from the affected HD and create there a folder called "unsoported"

-move all the extensions to that folder

-restart

It worked for me.

After that I installed java 6 and it broke again, I had to do the same process again.

Oct 23, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Lenovostartup

Same exact issue here. I eventually "gave up" by restoring the start up disk from a Time Machine back up (booting up with Command R) but that left me with the same exact issue as well! Finally, I went a step further and did a fresh install of OS X on the drive (also using a Command R boot) and it finally worked. I thought I would then have to restore from Time Machine to get all my applications and preferences back, but they all seem to be present and accounted for now without anything else, so who knows.

I will say, the new El Capitan update seems to be about 10GB lighter than the previous one, so that is good for us SSD users.

Oct 23, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Lenovostartup

Tell me about it!

I got a brand new 27" iMac yesterday (it had 10.11 on it) and after upgrading to 10.11.1 a lot of bizarre things started to happen. First it couldn't boot up.

The Applecare rep asked that I reinstall OS X. It reinstalled 10.11. I then upgraded again to 10.11.1. This time it booted up but now I find that my application directory is empty! After about 15 minutes suddenly it wasn't empty.

Click on General in "System Preferences" and I get "Could not load General preference pane". I'm online with AppleCare right now and they are saying they'll replace the iMac (it's less than 1 day old), but it may not be a hardware issue.

User uploaded file

I booted in Safe Mode and it comes up with the Applications folder empty again! It has an empty Utilities directory. Thats all!

User uploaded file

Oct 23, 2015 11:05 AM in response to Sanjaya Kumar

From the preference pane, I see a lot of 3rd party add ons and would suggest uninstalling

all of them as they may be incompatible and creating bizarre behavior (Java and Flash Player

probably okay to leave in if up to date).

If the bad behavior ceases after that, then add back one by one (making sure first that they are

up to date and compatible) and see when issues begin. Also do the same with any other apps

you may have installed that don't have settings in System Preferences.

Oct 23, 2015 5:45 PM in response to woodmeister50

The situation I ended up in was that my Application directory was empty ⚠ . So I couldn't delete anything. After two trips to the Apple store lugging the big 27" iMac in and out in one day, I returned the iMac for a full refund. I've personally bought more than 15 Macs over the years and the first personal computer I ever used was an Apple ][ but this is the first time I have had such a disappointing experience.

El Capitan 10.11.1 Install Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.