You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new emoji's showing up as question marks

Is there a problem with the new emoji's? When I send them in a text my recipient is receiving a question mark in a box. Please advise if this is a known problem.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.1

Posted on Oct 23, 2015 11:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply
25 replies

Nov 1, 2017 12:18 PM in response to tammy!

Yes, same thing here. The default predictive text is the question mark with a box when you type "I". You have to push the "I" option in predictive text in order for the odd box not too appear. Even if it appears correct before sending it will sometimes switch to the box on the other side. This started Monday II think. Very annoying,,,, Either fix it or we will all soon be using "I" as a question mark to adapt :-)

Nov 1, 2017 12:28 PM in response to tammy!

the new emojis come as part of the fonts installed with iOS 11.1. If your friends don’t have 11.1 installed, they will see a box with a ? Inside...

Easy solution: they should upgrade to 11.1 and they will see the emoji.

OOPS!

I meant to reply to the most recent question, posted while using iOS 11, not to the original poster.

Nov 2, 2017 2:59 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

The issue people are having is not with emoji's at all. It's that capital "I"'s are coming up as a capital A, a couple of spaces, and a question mark in a box.

Personally I'm also having an issue on my laptop on Facebook where capital "I"s are coming up as an exclamation point a couple of spaces, and a stack of 6 short horizontal lines.

What is going on???

Nov 7, 2017 6:04 AM in response to Katbrom

Katbrom wrote:

Same thing here. When I type the letter “i” an “a” with the question mark box is inserted instead. It is SUPER frustrating!! There has to be a fix soon.

Yes, it's a known issue and not the subject of this thread. I linked to some of the other threads about your issue. It is more polite to keep to the subject of the thread. This one is now getting hijacked by people with a completely different problem.

Oct 23, 2015 12:46 PM in response to tammy!

tammy! wrote:

Is there a problem with the new emoji's? When I send them in a text my recipient is receiving a question mark in a box. Please advise if this is a known problem.

Who are you exactly sending the emjoi too? An Android/iphone?

If they are seeing a question mark, the issue isn't with your phone but with their phones.

so no there is no problem with the new emojis...

Oct 23, 2015 12:52 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

Both devices have to support the correct Unicode set. For the iPhone, the both have to be on iOS 9.1. If not, they will see the question mark.

Chris,

Not necessary, other user would need to be on IOS 9.0 or higher, but not on 9.1.

As soon as the new emoji came out I sent out an group imessage and other users in the group was able to view the emojis even though they weren't on 9.1

Oct 23, 2015 12:56 PM in response to Pmintz25

Pmintz25 wrote:

They do need to be on iOS 9.1

I was on iOS 9.0.2 yesterday and got a ? and a color block when someone sent me the middle finger. I updated 15 minutes later to iOS 9.1 and I could see it. There are tons of new Emojis being added to iOS 9.1

Sorry but everyone in my group text could see it, but I was the only one on 9.1.

new emoji's showing up as question marks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.