Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i stop Imessage from capitalizing all letters of a proper name?

I am using an iPhone 5s with IOS 9.1 installed. When I am typing a message in imessage the systems always capitalizes all the letters of a proper name. If I type the name Ashley, it auto corrects to ASHLEY. If I type Gaby, it corrects to GABY. The system seems to recognize first names and auto capitalizes only proper first names. How can I get this to stop?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Oct 26, 2015 7:06 AM

100 replies

Sep 19, 2017 4:09 PM in response to bobbyj59

So I was having this same issue. Turning off the contact found in apps did not work but it Lead me to solving my issues. My job recently changed to a Microsoft server and they capitalize all staff names. When I added it to my phone it automatically added contacts. I had to unclick contacts in the outlook email and it User uploaded filefinally stopped doing it.

Jun 27, 2017 5:45 AM in response to SilverShadow4

SilverShadow4 wrote:

I know no one from Apple is listening but that does not prevent me from getting on my soap box and screaming sarcasm.

While that might give you some emotional satisfaction, it might be more productive to take the phone in for servicing. And leave feedback for Apple where they do read:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Aug 21, 2017 12:23 AM in response to bobbyj59

Hi - I never had this issue until I started using WhatsApp a few months ago (on an iPhone 6 which I've had for over 2 years; IOS always updated to the latest version). All the Christian/first/forenames that I type or speak into the 'phone who are in my WhatsApp contacts are automatically capitalised. Very annyoing, as it comes across as though I am shouting at my contacts and requires immediate manual correction. And no, the 'phone is not learning from me that I want my contacts' Christian names in lower case. So either it is a WhatsApp issue, or an IOS issue - or an unresolved clash of the two. I urge all users affected with this problem to report it to either/both the App feedback/technical help page, or the Apple feedback page (which is the only medium for customers to report issues or suggest improvements to Apple) Product Feedback - Apple

May 24, 2017 1:57 PM in response to bobbyj59

Yes this is BS. Every time I type a proper name it makes it all caps. I am going to type Charles (I had to change it) now I'm going to type it again and hit the space bar. CHARLES... get it?? How about this: Steely DAN . All I capped were the S and the C, and hit space bar.

I will check my contacts for those names in caps. I'll do it now before I post this, I could be mistaken... and I WAS! I had a DAN and a CHARLES in my contacts. I edited them. Now I will try again to type Charles and Dan.. well how about that!! I'm not a good listener.. thanks!!

Not BS after all, just user error. I'm glad to have this fixed! Now if I can just get autocorrect to change an s to an a when I accidentally hit the s instead of the a.. why would anyone type an s in a sentence?

Thanks!!

Julien

Jun 15, 2017 7:28 PM in response to bobbyj59

*SOLVED*

I had this same issue and for me, I found the solution. The problem happens when you have "contacts found in apps" turned ON. Turning this OFF fixed my issue.

Go to Settings>Contacts>(And toggle the green button off under "contacts found in apps)

Than close the settings app, and test it by typing a proper name in a text. You should no longer have the auto caps issue. Let me know if this helps you.

Jun 26, 2017 9:58 PM in response to Birduder 344

This has been an interesting thread. I have had this problem for a long time. Most annoying has been when I type my name at end if text or email. Looked in Contacts and there are no Johns that are all caps. Tried to reset dictionary no luck. Then I remembered someone saying they had to wait a few minutes. Decided to reboot my phone (iPhone 6, latest iOS, AT&T provider) and low and behold no caps when I type JOHN...oh, wait a minute that all cap JOHN was an auto correct. Hope someone finds a solution. Very annoyed Apple user and I will repeat what someone said earlier. Thanks Apple! I know no one from Apple is listening but that does not prevent me from getting on my soap box and screaming sarcasm.

Jul 14, 2017 6:42 AM in response to bobbyj59

I have figured it out! It's actually coming from Gmail! Go into settings and contacts and disable your gmail imported contacts. They are all being imported in all caps. After I did that 99% of them went away, and the few that remained that still has all caps were ones I had entered a gmail address for. I changed all of those then put it to the rest. Went to type a text and it didn't auto correct it to all caps! Wooho! Such a relief!

Jul 14, 2017 6:47 AM in response to AnnieX13

AnnieX13 wrote:

I have figured it out! It's actually coming from Gmail! Go into settings and contacts and disable your gmail imported contacts. They are all being imported in all caps. After I did that 99% of them went away, and the few that remained that still has all caps were ones I had entered a gmail address for. I changed all of those then put it to the rest. Went to type a text and it didn't auto correct it to all caps! Wooho! Such a relief!

I'm glad you figured out what your problem was. However, it points up the fact that this probably isn't a single problem. I sync my contacts to Gmail and have never seen this behavior. Of course, none of my Gmail contacts are typed all in caps.

Jul 22, 2017 7:07 AM in response to Birduder 344

I did all of the keyboard and dictionary resets that did not work by themselve, but the problem is definitely tied to my email accounts. It doesn't necessarily have to be gmail... it is any email account. The way I fixed the problem was I went to Settings, Contacts, then at the top of that page clicked on Accounts, selected my email account, then turned off the green switches for calendars, contacts, and mail (said yes at the prompts warning me they would be deleted from my phone) and clicked delete account. I rebooted the phone, started typing a text message containing one of the problem names (JOE) and no more all caps. This process of course deleted my email account that I can just go add back in later if I want, but more importantly it indicated for me that at least in my case this issue was absolutely connected to my email. You might be able to just click off the green switch for contacts for your email account(s) instead of actually deleting the account(s) if you don't want to completely delete. For me, the problem email account was one I no longer wanted on my phone, so deleting it was my solution. Worth a try to see if your email contacts are contributing to your issue.

Jul 25, 2017 8:26 AM in response to Birduder 344

I looked into this a bit more because it seemed that place names were the issue. I typed in a few random places then, if it capitalised, looked it up in contacts. Sure enough I normally found the word in an email address or job title. So, simple solution, turn off email contacts. Now all I have are phone numbers and guess what? It STILL does not work!!!

Sep 22, 2017 8:15 AM in response to Mistpinsel

So I confirmed that it is the way the names are formatted in your contact. Because I am using this without lock and had Outlook contacts on, and that list had names capitalized, that was what was causing the problem. In order to fix it I had to do an export of the names from Outlook to an Excel spreadsheet and use calculations so I confirmed that it is the way the names are formatted in your contact. Because I am using this without lock and had outlook contacts on, and that list had names capitalized, that was what was causing the problem. In order to fix it I had to do an export of the names from outlook to an Excel spreadsheet and use

how do i stop Imessage from capitalizing all letters of a proper name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.