Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It seems that, in iTunes v. 12.3, I cannot transfer my music CDs to my iPhone 6. Why and how can I do this.

It seems that in iTunes v. 12.3, I am unable to transfer my CD library onto my iPhone 6. Why is this so and how can it be done?

Thank you in advance for your help.

iPhone 6, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Mid-2011 27" iMac, MacMini Core Duo

Posted on Oct 29, 2015 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2015 6:50 AM

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7163823 - If you have signed up for Apple Music or iTunes Match you won't have the option to manually manage or sync music to a device in iTunes. Music syncing is done through iCloud and all your eligible music should appear there.

A bit more about this, and some options- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7194995

and a workaround - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7202449?answerId=28842873022#28842873022

If you have not signed up for one of the iCloud based services:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7104625?answerId=28481661022#28481661022 - "Music syncing has changed in iTunes 12.2.0 and iOS 8.4 Music App."

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2015 6:50 AM in response to Roger Adams

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7163823 - If you have signed up for Apple Music or iTunes Match you won't have the option to manually manage or sync music to a device in iTunes. Music syncing is done through iCloud and all your eligible music should appear there.

A bit more about this, and some options- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7194995

and a workaround - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7202449?answerId=28842873022#28842873022

If you have not signed up for one of the iCloud based services:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7104625?answerId=28481661022#28481661022 - "Music syncing has changed in iTunes 12.2.0 and iOS 8.4 Music App."

Nov 10, 2015 12:18 AM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos,

My sincere apologies for the delay in reply. I have just returned from abroad and was only able to follow your directions today.

I followed the links in your reply and found that I have to turn off iCloud on both the iPhone and in iTunes. This worked very well and all my music is now downloading all my music onto the iPhone. I appreciate your help and again, my apologies for the delay in my response.

Cheers

Roger

Jan 5, 2016 2:56 AM in response to Limnos

Hi. I've gone through all of this and none of it is any help.

I put a full post on this thread last night.

Sync issues iPhone iOS 9.2 with iTunes 12.3 ElCap 10.11.2

I have never turned on Apple Music and have never turned on iTunes match, I was only using iCloud for music to enable download of songs not on my phone but that were in my library but that seems to have changed behaviour and as I didn't need it anyway I have set my phone to only show music on the phone.

Some of the menu options don't appear to be where the above threads suggest they should be and I don't have any iCloud enable disable toggle anywhere and my iCloud storage usage doesn't show any iTunes content, 4.7GB of the 5GB is taken up with iCloud photos. Maybe some of the options have been removed or moved since the posts were written last year.

I am confused about the recent music though because in iTunes it shows recently added at the top of the my music page and there are several albums most downloaded from iTunes and one ripped from CD and some singles all purchased on iTunes but when I go to playlists and show the recently added playlist it only contains 12 tracks, the 8 tracks on the ripped CD and 4 purchased singles. But on my phone under recently added it only shows the singles and 1 track from the ripped CD but whenever I select it it says the song is not available.

And when I try and sync in iTunes I sometimes now get error -50 as well as the issues I wrote about last night in the above thread, it not syncing steps 2 and 3 out of 3 and getting stuck for ever at step 7 of 7 and sync never make any difference to the content on the phone.

Basically it's all just screwed since a recent update and I don't know what caused it. I'm totally up to date with iOS 9.2 and iTunes 12.3 on El Capitan 10.11.2

Please help because all the threads give me nada.

Thanks.

Jan 7, 2016 2:24 AM in response to TalcumBoy

OK. When I view my songs and playlists on my iPhone, most of my playlists if I try and delete them only have the option to remove from 'My Music' one had the option to 'Remove from iPhone' so I just removed that one from iPhone, when I looked at the songs, a lot were greyed out and had no phone icon next to them, when I selected delete for those ones they only had the option to remove from My Music so I didn't do that because when I tried to delete the songs that had black text and a phone icon next to them I got both options and is said this song has been downloaded to this device do you want to 'Remove from device' or remove from 'My Music' fearing that removing from My Music might delete it from my iTunes library on my Mac as well I selected just to remove from device. So I've gone through and deleted everything from device as far as I can tell, individually one by one as I couldn't find a remove all tracks from device option. Also, as the message said this has been downloaded to phone I assume none of the tracks on the device were actually synced by iTunes over wifi or the USB cable, the message makes me think they were all downloaded over wifi or mobile data from the iCloud.

Also, I don't know what sort order the tracks were in but every time I removed a track the list resorted in a different order. Very strange indeed. In fact the next track on the list from the one I was removing appeared in the list as a track on the phone so with icon and not greyed out, but after the track I was removing was deleted that track would appear at the top of the list as greyed out and no icon, then as I approached the end of the list all of a sudden it went from several tracks remaining (didn't notice how many but went off the bottom of the screen) to just 3. It's as though the allocation table or index was corrupted or something and by deleting the tracks it forced it to update and correct itself. In face, while those last 3 tracks were on the screen I typed this message and the screen locked, when I went back in the music list was empty and showed a blank screen with the message "Don't Miss a Beat Find your favourites in iTunes then come back and enjoy them here". When I then select show all music it shows a list of only 25 tracks all of which are greyed out so not on the phone.

Maybe it's only these tracks that are in the iCloud because my storage is about full, but I've never selected iTunes match and don't think I use the cloud for iTunes.

So after I removed all the tracks I did a sync with iTunes on the mac again and it started at step 2 of 7, then I went and did something else. Came back to it and the sync had finished but still no music on my phone. I am still logged out of iTunes account on the phone (head and shoulders icon top left) and in iTunes status bar next to the sync button it thinks I have 5.5MB 7 tracks of audio on my phone.

So it's still screwed.

Jan 7, 2016 2:34 AM in response to TalcumBoy

And after all that I thought, I'll turn off music sync again in iTunes and eject the device, power it off, power it back on again, turn on music sync again and see what happens.

Initially the status bar said that there was 3.8GB of music on the phone 581 tracks (despite the top of the screen saying 574 - diff 7 tracks from earlier) but the sync bombed out at step 3 of 7 and nothing was transferred to phone and the status bar next to sync button went back to 5.5 MB and 7 tracks of audio on the device and still no music on the iPhone.

I signed in to iTunes again in the My Music app on the phone and this time the blank screen message asks if I'm going off grid and asks me to download music to my device.

I don't want to download FFS, I just want to sync my music from iTunes to the iPhone. Why is this so freakin hard FFS.

Jan 7, 2016 2:51 AM in response to TalcumBoy

OK. This time I thought of going back to the iTunes preferences so I logged out of iTunes on the phone again, and in iTunes settings on the Mac I turned off automatic downloads under the store tab of preferences for Music and Apps which were the only 2 that were turned on and turned off always check for new downloads, but left on the sync play count across devices.

When the sync started it got to step 5 of 5 pretty quickly then started transferring x of 574 tracks, but it remains to be seen if they actually transfer because it seemed to be doing that the other night when I left it and the tracks never showed up.

I'm surmising at the moment that if you want to auto download tracks between devices without having to do a sync then that is now a feature of Apple Music and you can't have that enabled unless you sign up to Apple Music.

Hoorah, the sync finished pretty quickly and everything appears to be back on my phone. So it's the automatic download that's the problem.

I wonder if I can now log back into my iTunes account because I assume I'll need to to make download purchases on my phone and then have them sync back up to my MacBook iTunes.

It seems that, in iTunes v. 12.3, I cannot transfer my music CDs to my iPhone 6. Why and how can I do this.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.