Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 - Problem with iTunes TV content

Just got the Apple TV 4 and there are some problems with tvOS and iTunes. I'm in Canada and some of the content that I previous purchased on iTunes are missing the cover art and when I click to play I get the message that "the content is not available in Canada". It works fine on my other apple devices - appleTV3, 3 iPads and 2 iPhones. It is definitely a bug in the TVOS or the way it handles content. I called Apple Support and it was useless. They were trying to convince me that it was normal because those items were removed from the store. Even if that was the case, it is completely unacceptable, as I paid for the content with the guarantee that I could stream it from any apple device.

Hope others are having the same issue and we can push for the developers to fix this ASAP, as the apple support line techs can't figure out the source of the problem. Let us know if anyone else if having this issue

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Nov 1, 2015 3:08 PM

20 replies

Apr 28, 2017 5:48 PM in response to Joseph Bacon

I spoke with support about this not long ago. Entire seasons of shows (Con Man Season 1) that I've purchased showing as no longer available in the Canadian store and yet I can search, find and preview it in the Canadian store (can't play it because it says I don't own it).

A related

issues for me... I can't delete the show from my favorites screen because as I said above it doesn't think it exists / I own it.

What I was told is that the content was purchased by some other studio/distributor and because it has a new ID in the App Store (however their backend works)... I no longer have access... it appears as a new product.

So I asked if they could switch my purchase to point to the "NEW" Con Man and was told NO. I did not buy the content from this distributor.

The end result of these games is much messier. I have kids that search the store for shows they know I own and then play from there vs my purchases. This has resulted in them purchasing the exact same show I already own because they've hit play on this picture 1000x times before.

And as much as I know there will be some that say "you should make it ask for a pass every time"... im willing to admit I've gone one step further and purchased duplicates myself thinking "the little screen that says 'you already own this content' will surely come up because I know I own this".

And guess what... Apple will not credit you for being dumb and buying the same show twice even though I feel the way they let this happen is EXTREMELY shady!!!

Might also be worth mentioning I notice during holidays you see this "new distributor" issue in full effect! 2 years ago bought pretty much every Christmas show on iTunes. Last year almost every title I know I bought showed "purchase" vs play when clicking into the show.

Just my 2 cents

Buying a season, getting new episodes weekly and then noticing and abrupt stop followed up with a massive number of new episodes available MONTHS later (when you know new shows had been released on cable during the silent months) is another issue that drives me crazy... but that's a story for another thread.

Nov 2, 2015 12:08 AM in response to pestacio

You're not alone! I'm in the US, and I'm having the same problem with a few of my purchased TV shows. They're showing generic white cover art and when I click to play, I get the error "Item not available. The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store." The same TV shows play fine on my iPad, iPhone, Mac, and my OLD Apple TV.

I Called support on Friday. They told me they were going to reset my iTunes purchases and things should be fixed in 24 hours. It's Sunday night, and it still isn't fixed.User uploaded file

Nov 2, 2015 4:08 PM in response to pestacio

Quick update. Spoke to a senior Apple TV tech which was able to validate that my purchases are available on the Apple TV 3. Funny enough the apple support doesn't have a Apple TV 4 units to run tests. I was told that they will be receiving one in the next day or 2. They call me back then to try my account on it. At this point it does feel like a tvOS bug.

Let me know if anyone else got an update

Nov 2, 2015 4:18 PM in response to Chachi.us

I have the same problem. Shows like "The Abbot & Costello Show", "The Lone Ranger", "The Roy Rogers Show", "Monty Python's Flying Circus" and "Ellery Queen" are getting the same "The Item You've Requested Is Not Currently Available In The U. S. Store".

I called Apple Support and was told by their representative that those shows (among others I mentioned) have not been downloaded because they are no longer for sale in the US (?!). But I can still download them on my MacBook Air and Mac Mini. The Representative told me that if I had downloaded them before they will still be able to be shown on my Mac Mini and MacBook Air and I can use Air Play to play them on the Apple TV.

That makes absolutely NO SENSE to me!!!!!!

I'm stumped here. Anyone in the Group Mind have an idea on how to proceed???????

Nov 2, 2015 4:31 PM in response to Joseph Bacon

I'm extremely annoyed that the techs keep saying that it is normal because the show is no longer on the store. THIS IS NOT NORMAL!!! I purchased the content with promise that I did not need to download and could access it from the cloud on any apple device. I paid for it and expect it to be there. If they were to remove it, they need to communicate this ahead of time. Now I'm thinking twice about purchasing any more content from iTunes. For me, the only benefit buying form iTunes was the ability to stream from the cloud and therefore saving me from downloading and keeping the 200+ movies and shows.

I really think this is a bug and will be corrected soon. I'm not impressed with the techs that have no analytical skills and just go through the script. Can't they think outside the box and tackle the problem?

Nov 3, 2015 6:28 PM in response to pestacio

I can't run any iTunes tv show content. I get a grey screen when trying to browse into TV shows or when I use Siri to run a tv show from the home screen. This too is a brand new 4th generation Apple TV, one that's two days old and was just running TV shows on Sunday night.

iTunes movies, Netflix, and Hulu content all run fine...the network connection is fine.

Apple TV 4 - Problem with iTunes TV content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.