Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple tv4 7.1 surround not workin

BEfore I begin, I know my audio 10000%.

THjs his is ridiculous that Apple TV 4 cannot stream 7.1 surround. I tried so many movies on iTunes and netlfix. Only plays in 2 channels, when I go to settings on Apple tv and click surround setting and take it off auto and select Dolby it plays in 5.1 surround even though it's a 7.1 movie.

Apple TV had this same problem before with Netflix and 5.1 audio and same thing now with 7.1. Only reason I bought this is because of 7.1. I'm returning it.

Its not my brand bew 2000k Yamaha receiver and nothing else. I leave my receiver in straight mode and it plays whatever codec it gets. It's funny because in auto surround mode on Apple TV it displays 7 speakers but plays 2 speakers. When I manually change it to Dolby surround on my Apple TV it will just play regular 5.1 Dolby digital and not the 7.1 Dolby digital plus.

MY old Apple TV works with 5.1 fine, my rocky 3 works with Dolby digital plus 7.1 when streaming Netflix. My blue ray plays all 7.1 discs perfectly. I repeat it is not my system it's the Apple tv4.

I Will be shocked if anyone has 7.1 speakers and their receiver displays Dolby digital plus and all seven speakers work. This is a joke. $200 for nothing.

Posted on Nov 3, 2015 1:50 PM

95 replies

Nov 3, 2015 2:28 PM in response to Discoslap

It's funny because in auto surround mode on Apple TV it displays 7 speakers but plays 2 speakers. When I manually change it to Dolby surround on my Apple TV it will just play regular 5.1 Dolby digital and not the 7.1 Dolby digital plus.

Are your movies encoded with separate Stereo and Surround audio tracks? If so, you may need to manually select the "Surround" audio track if your file is defaulting to "Stereo" since the TV4 appears to only map active source channels when "forced" to output PCM by the "Surround Sound > Auto" option. Further, most AVRs seem to report channelization as 7.1— i.e., they don't all differentiate between "active only" and "active + empty" channels. TV4 audio "forced" to output as DD5.1 using the "Surround Sound > Dolby Surround" setting behave in a similar manner. Only selected audio tracks already in the targeted output compression format appear to be currently "passed through" to the AVR. In my case, I can only confirm this to be true for DD5.1 content since all of my videos are encoded with AAC and AC3 audio tracks.

User uploaded file

Nov 4, 2015 9:47 AM in response to Ebola

Is the Auto setting working correctly? To me, auto implies it is going to choose the best audio output method for the content played. When its stereo vs. DD 5.1, I would expect it to output 5.1, yet it only outputs stereo.

This, of course, depends on your definition of how "Auto" is supposed to work and under your given definition, it is not working correctly. As I previously indicated, I do not have any PCM encoded video files so I cannot fully test what happens when 1-, 2-, 5.1-, or 7.1-channel source PCM audio is sent to an AVR in the "Auto" mode. I suspect it may work in a manner similar to the "Dolby Surround" mode for AC3 source audio but I cannot confirm it at this time.

Basically, the TV4 "Auto" mode forces output as 7.1 PCM audio with active source channels mapped to corresponding 7.1 PCM channels. My system reports all 8 (both active and empty) 7.1 PCM channels in the AVR display but at least one individual reports that his Onkyo system only reports the "active" channels in his AVR display. This mode may or may not "pass through" source PCM "as is" in the "Auto" mode but this is what I cannot test or confirm at this time. I suspect that Apple has now adopted 7.1 PCM HDMI—with its higher resolution audio specification—as its default output audio format and interface beginning with the TV4 and has "redefined" the functionality of the "Auto" setting. If this is Apple's new definition for the "Auto" setting, then I would say it is working correctly.

As to AC3 use, in the TV4 "Dolby Surround" mode I can confirm that non-AC3 tracks in my video files are forced to AC3 DD5.1 with active channels mapped to corresponding DD5.1 channels and that AC3 source tracks—when selected—are passed directly "as is" to my AVR. I.e., source audio such as AAC "forced" as AC3 output displays as "active plus empty" DD5.1 channels on my AVR while source AC3 audio tracks are "passed through as is" and are displayed on my AVR with channelization as originally encoded (e.g., as mono, stereo, or surround sound encodings).

Unfortunately, there seem to have been other player changes which appear to affect the automatic selection of the default track for playback as in a manner similar the the previous TV3.

User uploaded file

Nov 4, 2015 9:48 AM in response to Discoslap

Hey guys,

You're not alone, and no it is not your systems! I have several un-resolved bug reports filed with Apple on the Apple TV 4 not being compliant with Dolby Digital audio. (I have a couple of surround sound music apps in the iOS and tvOS Stores, and this has been a real kick-in-the-pants for me to deal with, to put it mildly.)

Just chiming in to say you got to send Apple your feedback on this (Phone, feedback, bug reports, etc.) so they will know that there is a problem going on.

Cheers

Nov 4, 2015 10:04 AM in response to Discoslap

Doesn't work for me. Same problem as before. I tried Auto and Dolby Surround on the ATV4 and changing settings on my Denon receiver. I plug my ATV3 back in and Stereo is always Stereo. Dolby Digital is always Dolby Digital using any apps, Netflix, etc. and my own media. Not happening with my ATV4. Lots of other people are reporting the problems in the Apple and Macrumors forums.

Nov 4, 2015 10:15 AM in response to Discoslap

This may or may not be related to the issue I've noticed in a different thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7319516

I've noticed a few apps, Trailers and YouTube, only output in Stereo.

My settings are default, and therefore Auto. I'll try forcing to DD and see if there is a diff.

I'll also try some purchased movies for 7.1, as I've only noticed 5.1 decoding, which is the same as ATV3.

Nov 4, 2015 10:36 AM in response to boysdontcry

I tried Auto and Dolby Surround on the ATV4 and changing settings on my Denon receiver. I plug my ATV3 back in and Stereo is always Stereo. Dolby Digital is always Dolby Digital using any apps, Netflix, etc. and my own media. Not happening with my ATV4. Lots of other people are reporting the problems in the Apple and Macrumors forums.

Which source track are you selecting? The TV3 can automatically select a disabled DD5.1 surround audio track when available along with an enabled AAC stereo track. The TV4 does not do this unless you make some modifications to the source file. Check to make sure you are actually playing the source track you want played in the mode you want to play it—e.g., select the AC3 5.DD1 surround audio track (and not the AAC mono, stereo, or PL II audio track) for "passthrough" playback in the "Dolby Surround" mode (and not the "Auto" mode which forces 7.1 PCM output of AC3 mono, stereo, or DD5.1 audio) if you want TV3-like playback.

User uploaded file

Nov 4, 2015 10:56 AM in response to Jon Walker

Are you changing the ATV setting and the receiver setting? I have my MP3 files on my storage array. Previously I would just select a song and the receiver just played it in Stereo. I would select one of my MP4 movie files and the receiver would just play it in Dolby Digital surround sound. Never had to change anything. What do I set the ATV4 audio setting to and then do I have to change anything on the receiver end?

Nov 4, 2015 11:33 AM in response to boysdontcry

Are you changing the ATV setting and the receiver setting?

No. I set my AVR (Pioneer) to the "Auto Surround" mode and let it automatically select which decoder to use (PCM or Dolby) depending on the TV4 output mode I am using. Since I normally use the TV4 for movie/TV playback, I normally use the "Dolby Surround" setting to passthrough AC3 audio in its original mono, stereo, Dolby PL II, or surround format. If I switch to music, all of which is in stereo, I normally let the TV4 convert the source M4A, Apple Lossless, MP3, or AIFF audio to AC3 stereo for playback through my AVR without having to make AVR setting changes even though the TV4 outputs the stereo over a DD5.1 connection—i.e., the C, RL, RR, and LFE (?) channels are empty. Alternately, I can switch the TV4 to "Stereo" mode and all music content will be sent to my AVR as stereo PCM and, once again, I don't have to make any AVR setting changes for playback but now my AVR correctly identifies the connection as stereo PCM.

User uploaded file

Apple tv4 7.1 surround not workin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.