Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan time machine problems

I have been having confusing experiences with Time Machine & El Capitan. Either it won't back up, or it will say i haven't had a backup since...(the date I installed El Capitan) or it will say its creating a new backup and then struggle at like 1 meg / minute (for 650gig of bkup) or it will get 75% thru the backup and then hang up.

All kinds of issues. Sometimes Time Machine acts like theres no backup, then I run a lengthy disk utility check, and suddenly the backup is there. But that doesn't last either.

Went to the Genius bar and they thought the journal of the Time machine drive was corrupt, saying wipe the disc clean & start over.

I almost did that but then stumbled on this - apparently this isn't specific to my time machine drive, a lot of people are having problems, noted on the discussion boards.

(Time Machine Backup Stalls after El Capitan Upgrade)

Has anyone found a solution?
Thx
Duane

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), null

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 9:50 AM

29 replies

Nov 5, 2015 3:03 AM in response to Linc Davis

Its a laptop that floats between office & home for work. I have 2 external Time Machine drives, one in office & one at home. Both have had their probs w/ El Capitain, but the ofc drive seems to be more in line with what others are complaining of. Ofc Time Machine is a Lacie, home Time Machine is a G-Drive. After running disk utility on ofc drive it seems to be running okay.

Home drive has tried 3-4 full backups, each sep one hangs up. Took it all to Genius Bar and they speculated that the journal of the home drive was corrupt, suggesting I wipe it clean and start over with it. Was about to do that when I started searching discussions to see what others were experiencing.

Any suggestions / guidance is appreciated.

thx

Nov 5, 2015 11:25 AM in response to duanefromloweloi

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

In the top right corner of the Console window, there's a search box labeled Filter. Enter the word "Starting" (without the quotes.) You should now see log messages with the words "Starting * backup," where * represents any of the words "automatic," "manual," or "standard."

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Note the timestamp of the last "Starting" message that corresponds to the beginning of an abnormal backup. Now

CLEAR THE WORD "Starting" FROM THE TEXT FIELD

so that all messages are showing, and scroll back in the log to the time you noted. Select the messages timestamped from then until the end of the backup, or the end of the log if that's not clear. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

If all you see are messages that contain the word "Starting," you didn't clear the text field.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. Don't post more than is requested.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Nov 6, 2015 7:59 AM in response to Linc Davis

By the time I got your last post, I had wiped the drive clean & started over (I had several incomplete backups that were large and I was running out of space). So I ran a backup all yesterday & into the nite that stopped about 194 gig short of a full 650 gig bkup. Didn't Officially stop, still acted like it was running but the 'progress counter' when you click on Time Machine, had stopped counting.

This morning I restarted and looked in Console but could only find entries from since starting this AM, nothing about the backup yesterday or notations of a backup stopping mid-way. Not familiar w/ Console so I guess it only deals with the session at hand, and clears itself at a restart.

I started a new backup and it appears to be picking up from where it left off when it stalled, as opposed to starting a new bkup. But its running very very slowly. At one point it looked like about a meg every 5 min. I started the backup at 845AM (2+ hrs ago) and as I look at Console now, its earliest entry is from about 1/2 hr ago.

These are the only 2 console entries, and that is from searching "backup", nothing from "Starting. The log entries no longer go back that far

11/6/15 10:19:56.032 AM com.apple.backupd-helper[194]: Not starting scheduled Time Machine backup: Backup already running

11/6/15 10:42:34.984 AM com.apple.backupd[666]: Copied 825.6 MB of 176.69 GB, 5524 of 1927743 items.

I dont know if this helps you analyze the problem, but I do appreciate your help.

DS

Nov 7, 2015 9:19 AM in response to duanefromloweloi

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Nov 9, 2015 7:41 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the advice.

I did the safe startup, the only thing to unplug was the rugged drive that is hooked up thru a firewire 800 connection with the Time machine. Laptop - time machine - rugged drive. (tho I've also reversed that chain with no diffs). No other peripherals, tho halfway into it I realized the router was attached, but proceeded anyway.

On safe startup, Time machine said last backup was nov 4 (last time I bid up laptop in the ofc on a diff time machine drive. Starting bkup showed 175.35 gig to bkup, and it started very slow but soon was chugging along at a good clip. It got to 137.08g of the 175.35g and it hung up - no progress for 20 min.

Restarted w/o safe start but w/o the rugged drive hooked up and it took a while to prepare and then ran really slow, stalling at 46kb. showing 28gig as what it has to bkup.

Redid safe startup and tried again but it still ran really slow - 1 min = 5kb.

Figured the looping connection of Time Machine drive & rugged drive could be contributing, so I connected the time machine drive to bk of cinema display (USB2). rugged drive now running straight to laptop Thunderbolt adaptor to its firewire jack.

Tried a restart w/o safe again and am now running very slow again. But still showing 28gig as what it has to bkup.

Thanks again

DS

Nov 9, 2015 9:35 AM in response to duanefromloweloi

a short time later -

- after a sluggish start its now backing up and so far hasn't stopped - at about 22 gig of the 28 gig. I'll post another progress report shortly

A little while later it got to the 28 gig and kept going! The amt of the backup started to increase. So both numbers are climbing.

As I see it now 64.75 gig of 71.51 gig. Not sure if this means its trying to run another full backup.

Nov 10, 2015 6:32 AM in response to duanefromloweloi

just further info on the home backup - it hung up and stopped at 532 of 585 gig, last nite.

Now today in the ofc, the time machine bkup drive on my desk is running fine. Tho the HD doesnt have the Time Machine desktop icon, and I dont have access to any backups before El Capitain.

And the hookup circuit of laptop-time machine-rugged drive in the ofc is identical to how I had been hooking it all up at home.

Sorry for all the notes, just want to give as much info as possible.

Thx for any suggestions

Duane

Nov 22, 2015 7:31 AM in response to duanefromloweloi

Mr. Davis, I spent 3 hrs. with a Level 2 tier at Apple support. I have both a Seagate and WD Passport, neither will load. Case # 992568441 if you have access you can see all the things we did with no prevail. After searching the net this morning I found no less then 10 discussion board (with some very bright and not so bright persons) with many other people with the prevailing problem. All had no problem with Time Machine and Backups until they upgrade to El Capitan. Thank you in advance....

Nov 22, 2015 5:45 PM in response to nalven22

I wanted to chime in and report that I am having similar problems with time machine since upgrading to el capitan The latest version, 10.11.1 did not fix the problem. Basically, time machine , after about two weeks of backups, gives an error that "backup failed" and reports that there is not enough space. (There's a large file, a virtual machine disk file of about 55 gig that I backup quickly uses up space on the time machine external disk. It seems that el capitan won't prune older versions of this file to make room for the newest backup version. Past versions of OS X had no problem with this situation.

I have reformatted the time machine backup hard disk and restarted backups. After a few weeks, I run into the same problem.

The same problem is occurring on a second iMac I own- exact same scenario, different mac, different external time machine disk.

There clearly is a bug in Time Machine with El Capitan. I've been surprised there aren't more complaints on this forum. Speaking of time machine bugs, the time machine Finder icon is generic yellow, not the correct blue time machine specific icon.

El Capitan time machine problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.