Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 network problems

I'm having huge problems with network speeds on my new Apple TV 4. My router (Time capsule) is located a couple of metres from the Apple TV and although the connection is perfect (according to the Settings on my Apple TV) I'm experiencing slow downloads. Thumbnail images, other graphics and videos take forever to load. The App Store usually won't load at all. I have checked the download and upload speed using the SpeedText app, which shows good speeds (20Mbps - 40 Mbps) but actually using the Apple TV results in slow speed and occasional timeouts.

I also have an Apple TV 3 and it works perfectly, without any connection problems. So the problem seems to be the new Apple TV.

I have restarted my broadband modem, router and Apple TV several times. I also tried resetting the Apple TV and starting over from scratch, but the problem still exists.

Am I the only one with this problem and can someone help me find a solution? Maybe wait for tvOS 9.1?

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 2:21 AM

20 replies

Nov 9, 2015 9:13 AM in response to aublumberg

HI, having the same issue, apps are crashing on launch everytime, presumably when extra bundles are being downloaded and failing. This is even after two restores and two iTunes tethered restores. I am also using a time capsule and AirPort Extreme (might be some correlation here).

The tech specs show that the Ethernet port is only 100mbps just to clear that up.

Nov 9, 2015 10:28 AM in response to Andreas Lindahl

I'm having issue with both WiFi and direct connected. The connection is SUPER slow, and applications keep dropping connectivity. I get the spinning wheel A LOT with any apps that use network or internet and while the Apple TV is connected even other Apple devices on my network are affected. When I try to browse to my Mac Pro, I see the folders but when I attempt to open any files or folders I get an error message stating that "The resource is no longer available" or something to that affect. So My laptop can't connect to my Mac Pro or browse it's files over the network, same with my Mac Mini, same with even my NAS. When the aTV is connected to the network it's like all Apple devices go crazy it's so bizarre. If I disconnect the Apple TV, a few minutes later the errors stop. Regardless if it's on Wi-Fi or hard wired the connection is slow and when connected, other Apple devices seem to lose connectivity as well. Something is seriously wrong with network connectivity with this thing and it makes it basically useless for me.

Nov 9, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Andreas Lindahl

I have a similar problem. I live in UK, have a BT HomeHub5 (latest VDSL router).

Since having new Apple TV by broadband slows from 20Mbs to around 4Mbs and my internet seems to disconnect at the DSL level I see CHAP retries and need to restart my router.

I only started looking at the speed as my Apple TV was sooooo slow to download artwork, graphics, etc it was unusable. But maybe the AppleTV is knocking out my DSL connection...?

My SNR (signal to noise ratio) and all that looks good, no changes recently.

I have just logged with my ISP, they are pretty good so I'll update what they say if anything.

My last test is to unplug my new Apple TV (😟) and monitor for a week....

Nov 11, 2015 8:33 AM in response to aublumberg

Similar problem here. Lot's of spinning wheel with the ATV4, almost none with the ATV3. All going via wifi to an older Airport Extreme N. A couple macs, an ipad, and a couple iphones on the wifi, but that's it. Seems to also affect the rest of the machines on the network sometimes. My MBP was having connectivity issues too when the ATv4 was on. Also, as of today 11/11 the update to 9.01 didn't seem to help.

Nov 14, 2015 9:44 AM in response to MoggerhangerMark

Update:

With the new AppleTV turned off (unplugged from power) my internet has been fine with no performance problems.

My ISP has tested my hone broadband and confirmed there are no problems - those checks done while AppleTV turned off.

An hour ago I turned on the AppleTV and here's what happened:

Speedtest:

• My home internet went from 20Mbs to 2Mbs,
  • Ping times still good at 10ms

AppleTV experience:

• Watching a movie preview buffers after 10 seconds and doesn't continue.
  • In App store, many icons/graphics for new apps don't load

I am using tvOS 9.0.1

Dear Apple - I'd really appreciate if you could confirm this is a known problem, thank you!

😕

Nov 14, 2015 10:42 AM in response to Protodd

I presume Apple monitor/read at least some of the posts. And there are quite a lot of reports of this or similar problem on the web.

I work in IT for a very large internet company. I head up a pan-European IT team, connected over the world to other data centres, and public clouds and offices over private MPLS global WANs and inter-continental OSPF networks. I have a team of network engineers including Cisco CCIE certified gurus.

My home VDSL router reconnects to on the WAN port when the Apple TV is powered on; CHAP and PPoE events in the VDSL router show this.

I can see when something's not working quite right after 25 years of IT work. It's quite common for Cisco, Juniper or other mega-vendors to (for example) have bugs that cause devices to slowdown, reboot, hang, be hacked, etc.... So Apple are not immune.

Everything I see these days is so complex it's quite amazing so much works so well, most of the time..! Anyway, keeps me in a job 🙂

Nov 14, 2015 10:53 AM in response to MoggerhangerMark

I have never, ever seen Apple respond to any question here. If you want to ensure Apple hears you, I suggest the feedback link I provided previously or call them on the support line. As I said before, I am not a technical Guru and my ATV4 is working just as I expected (sure some kinks to work out) certainly not dealing with any internet speed reduction. In fact, I see my home share has less buffering than with the ATV2/3. And Netflix seems to be quicker too...

Apple TV 4 network problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.