Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV keeps turning itself on after being put to sleep

So far my Apple TV has worked great. However, last night everytime I put it to sleep it would wake back up, by itself, after about 5min. The only fix I could find was to unplug the unit itself. Is this some type of software bug? Has anyone else had this issue?

Tech info: new Apple TV with the he Siri remote (4th gen I think)

TV is a Samsung flat screen (not sure the exact model #)

hooked up via hdmi and set to automatically turn on the tv.

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 10:47 AM

80 replies

May 9, 2017 3:34 AM in response to havinabubble

Hi. Since the release of tvOS 10.2 for Apple TV 4, there have been several reports of Apple TV not sleeping. This seems to be caused by other devices on the network scanning for open ports. Try turning off (not just sleep) everything on the network, and see if Apple TV will sleep. Then turn them on slowly until you find the cause. Known culprits so far are the Plex app on Android, Stremio on computers, and the Twonky media server on some NAS devices. You should also report it to Apple at this link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html.

May 10, 2017 1:38 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Diana.McCall wrote:

Hi. Since the release of tvOS 10.2 for Apple TV 4, there have been several reports of Apple TV not sleeping. This seems to be caused by other devices on the network scanning for open ports. Try turning off (not just sleep) everything on the network, and see if Apple TV will sleep. Then turn them on slowly until you find the cause. Known culprits so far are the Plex app on Android, Stremio on computers, and the Twonky media server on some NAS devices. You should also report it to Apple at this link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html.

hello again Diana 😉

simple test to sadly disprove your theory is to pull the network cable:

Powered up Apple TV

Pull ethernet (shows message saying networking not detected)

Press SLEEP

Apple TV goes off, LG-TV begins thinking about it.

Apple TV comes back on, TV has now gone off.

....its not a scanning thing IMHO

Its something in the 10.2 update and the only way to prevent it occurring i've found is to pull the HDMI the second the Apple TV goes off. THAT stops it waking again of its own accord.

None of this happened in the previous build.

registered twice with that link... but not hearing anything official.

Apple TV is turned off at the wall, to prevent iNsomnia 😕

May 10, 2017 3:37 AM in response to Winston Churchill

your initial response seemed to overlook the fact I didn't have the problem BEFORE i upgraded to 10.2.

Diana.McCall has been actively involved in many of the posts since the 10.2 insomnia issue occurred.

Her findings definitely err on the side of it being an app scanning issue, and while my LAN setup would also support such a theory... the other ATV in my life, would not (as she knows from another post)

while I agree my television model may now be to blame, would Apple kindly remove the anti LG TV feature they added to 10.2, because I was very happy with 10.1.1 and the ability to leave my ATV plugged in and asleep.

In terms of it being a first world problem, for me it isn't as my ATV is switched off when not in use (along with the media amp)

However my parents and others who have approached me for advise as to why their's have developed this ON like status, would like to know what changed and caused it.

🙂

* I was not the original finder of the HDMI solution, I simply tried THAT suggestion (along with the many other suggestions out there) and also found a connection (or lack off) is what is required to keep the ATV off since upgrading.

Feb 16, 2017 12:41 PM in response to Mnilson

I'm using the latest ATV with a 5-year ago Samsung smart tv and this started happening a few weeks ago. I also have multiple iPhones and iPads that each have the latest OS versions and the ATV app.

I can get around this random issue of it turning itself and TV on by turning the TV off with the Samsung remote, but I'd like to only rely on a single remote (ATV).

Seems like a software bug in the ATV sleep function to me.

Feb 21, 2017 5:22 AM in response to Mnilson

I have been seeing this with my latest Apple TV as well. I have been able to trace down the time the Apple TV comes on to when one of the Mac's on my network boots up. It's the oddest thing, but I'm able to recreate it consistently. The Mac that causes the issue is running Mavericks because it's old hardware, I wonder if that's a consideration. I never had this with any of my other Macs.

Feb 26, 2017 8:36 AM in response to Mnilson

I have figured out why this is happening ! Im using a program called NetAdmin Pro and it "sniffs" my local subnetwork for devices. Once it finds a device it will try to see what ports are available on the device... As soon as it discovers the Apple TV, it starts testing the ports that its "listening on" and the following come up as active...DAAP ( airplay ) 3689/tcp, RAOP (airplay - remote audio output protocol) 7000/tcp, Mediaremotetv 7000/tcp and 53716/tcp, Iphone Sync 62078/tcp, and Sleep Proxy server 53058/udp...

So my guess is it is definitely one of these ports that is being "ping'd" and the response is to "wake up" from the Apple TV... So if this is happening to you, either you have some device on your home network that is aware of the apple tv and is trying to wake it up so it can connect to it, or, you have some type of malware on a machine on your network, or lastly , your wifi network has been breached and whom ever it is, is sniffing around using a tool like I have to root around looking for something to "play with"

Hope this helps someone....

Apr 15, 2017 11:08 AM in response to Falkenberg-R

There is no conflict with the remote app on the watch, there are 3 of us in our house with the remote app on our watches. If removing the app has helped as you think it has, then you must have been activating the app in some way yourself, such as accidently touching the screen or pressing the buttons when you bend your hand back or with clothing.

Apr 17, 2017 7:48 AM in response to Winston Churchill

"Something on your network", right. If it is something on a network, then Apple should be able to tell from a device log files what "something on your network" woke up that Apple TV. It is not like wizard of Oz waved a magic wand and the device turned itself on. No, it is not. There are well defined protocols for waking stuff up, and it is Apple's job to keep track of what's going on. Apparently Apple couldn't give a rat's rear end about supporting their products in a meaningful way. Their answer is to wipe out and reset Apple TV, when they should have picked log files and say: a device with this MAC address sent a specific WoL packet to wake your Apple TV up. Yeah, Apple support is one genius lined up next to another.

May 9, 2017 12:15 AM in response to leadbewj

leadbewj wrote:

I Had this problem too. The tech at the Apple Store told me to go into Settings >> System >>Reset and then choose reset and update. Problem solved but I did have to reinstall all my apps.

thought i'd try this... but to no avail 😢

Reset and Update and the very first thing I tried once the ATV was operational was the SLEEP command.

Sadly it comes back ON before the TV has had chance to go off.

Also tried the AIRPLAY OFF suggestion floating about, which made no difference either.

...10.2.1 PLEASE APPLE ⚠

Apple TV keeps turning itself on after being put to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.