Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad pro split keyboard?

I'm using the new ipad pro and i don"t see how to "split" the virtual keyboard. this makes typing very difficult.

Posted on Nov 11, 2015 2:44 PM

54 replies

Jul 11, 2017 3:41 AM in response to atru22

I've used it only briefly so far, but I like the fact that it has a height adjustment. I also found the "Tempest" split keyboard to crash a lot, in particular with a key stuck down. This one -- again, I've only used it just a little though -- so far does not have any such bug.

Too bad it doesn't have the "Quick type" (is that what it's called?) word-completion option of the usual keyboards. It appears to work "old style" where it has only one particular word completion/correction.

It's a little unfortunate that it, like Tempest, although the keyboard is split, it still occupies a bar completely across the screen. I'm guessing Apple's provisions for third-party keyboards doesn't include the possibility of keyboards occupying a region to the right and another to the left.

Nov 12, 2015 12:19 PM in response to another_apple_customer

Here's the skinny....
While the virtual keyboard has gained a great deal, it also loses one key feature: the split keyboard option.

With the iPad Air and iPad mini, users can take two thumbs and drag the keyboard apart to allow easier access for typing. That's not possible with the iPad Pro, presumably because Apple feels the device is too large to simultaneously hold and type on.

The onscreen virtual keyboard does automatically disappear once a user connects a hardware keyboard to the Smart Connector. It is replaced by a small menu bar at the bottom of the screen that includes QuickType suggestions, and shortcut buttons to font adjustments, where applicable.

Nov 12, 2015 1:30 PM in response to ozlow

ozlow wrote:

With the iPad Air and iPad mini, users can take two thumbs and drag the keyboard apart to allow easier access for typing. That's not possible with the iPad Pro, presumably because Apple feels the device is too large to simultaneously hold and type on.

Wow...if true, that's an instant strike against the Pro for me...that's how I hold all my iPads, with two hands, typing with my thumbs. 😐

Nov 12, 2015 2:31 PM in response to SergZak

You're going to have a hard time holding this thing sideways and typing with your thumbs. As indicated this not a feature of the keyboard on the Pro. And though I realize many people probably use that feature on the other iPads I haven't met many that even knew it was possible. And as big as this keyboard is I can't imagine using that way. But if it's a necessity for you then wait for a future version or an iPad Air 3.

ipad pro split keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.