Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Pro shuts off while charging and requires a hard reset to turn on

Hello,

I got my iPad Wednesday, spent the evening getting it all setup. Restored from back up, ensured everything was there, wiped my iPad air 2 (sold it), deleted it's back up and went on with my normal routine.

At night it was down to 40% so I charged it and went to bed. When I woke up it was "dead". It wouldn't wake up. I needed to perform a hard reset to get it to come to life. Worked on it for a couple of hours and had to run an errand. Plugged it back in as I was going to need a full charge later that day. Came back to it, same thing. Dead. I needed to perform a hard reset to get it to turn on.

Used it more, then last night plugged it in and this morning, same thing. I am thinking that there is an issue with this iPad.

I am now restoring it, since that it what online support recommended I try. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Thanks.

iPad, iOS 9.1, This is an iPad Pro

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 6:25 AM

629 replies

Nov 20, 2017 12:49 PM in response to darkfire.shadows

I am having this same issue- restored from iTunes, enjoyed it all day... plugged it in last night to charge- needed to hard reset to get it to reboot this morning. This is ridiculous. Chatting with support now. Getting the run around... tried to fix this via Chat... the passed me around twice, now trying to shove me off to a phone advisor later so they can get rid of me. Not happy.

Nov 20, 2017 12:49 PM in response to darkfire.shadows

Got this back from Apple... Definitely being addressed in next update

Sorry about the lack of response! We no longer need to gather that data as it looks like Apple has all the information we need about this case. I appreciate you bringing this concern forward, and I can assure you that we are working on this problem! This issue should be resolved in the next update, however, if that doesn’t happen, please email me and I’ll follow up with engineering!

Tyler SpaethWW AppleCare Technical Support
Tier 2 CPU AHA Chat Advisor

Jan 26, 2017 7:30 AM in response to DougBFL

I also just bought iPadPro 9.7" 256GB Wifi+Cellular and found out the shutting down by itself is annoying. I am all the while a Samsung user and one of my relatives convinced me for months to switch to iPad which finally I did and now I am banging my head into the wall for making the switch from Samsung to Apple.

My relatives already upgraded my IOS to 10.2.1 and I have activated the Hey Siri but my iPadPro still shutting off by itself when idle.

I am going to try iTunes for Restoring to factory settings and see how it goes although I doubt it will do any good.

If there is any other way besides doing a factory reset or restore using iTunes? please help.

Feb 1, 2017 7:13 AM in response to hsutirman

I just bought one too. It looks like this is an ongoing issue and because so many updates have been tried, I am starting to think this is a hardware issue, not a software issue. Mine locked up twice in the middle of a class I was teaching. That meant I had to hard reset it and wait---when I should have been working.

This is making me consider returning the Pro, sticking with my old air 2, and waiting for a new model. Clearly, Apple knows about this problem and hasn't done anything to fix it--since 2015.

Sep 8, 2017 6:42 AM in response to darkfire.shadows

We are now in 017 and my iPad Pro has been shutting down after a full charge since January. I have been to the Genius bar who run a diagnostic only to be told that my product was fully working with no issues. Went home and did a full charge and it still shuts dow/locks me out. I've contacted my sop-liver and been given the run around. Seemingly they say there is no known fault and Apple are not recognising it as a fault. So, as far as they are concerned the problem, for the majority of people does not exist. Time has gone on and my 1 year warranty has run out, but because I have a 2 year warranty with John Lewis, I will continue my fight with them. As I am registered blind, I find doing all the so called workarounds completely exhausting, difficult and time consuming. But still I get the run around. My next step is to go to John Lewis store and cause a scene and hopefully get some publicity. Looks like any warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. If anyone comes up with a real solution to this, please let us know. Looks like I need to be on Prozac or dump all this technology or both

Oct 14, 2017 5:54 AM in response to Riazah

I BOUGHT MY iPad Pro 12.9 A FEW WEEKS AGO.AFTER SETTING IT UP ALL WAS GOING FINE.THEN MY SCREEN STARTED TO FREEZE,MY BATTERY AFTER CHARGING WENT DEAD.ALSO OPENING UP THE App Store WAS NOT WORKING.SO I RETURNED IT.ITS OBVIOUSLY AN IOS 11 PROBLEM.IF I DECIDE TO BUY AGAIN I WILL LEAVE IT ON IOS 10.3,UNTIL ITS SORTED.

Oct 21, 2017 9:51 PM in response to darkfire.shadows

Having similar issues. My problem is I’m not able to start my iPad Pro 512 gb at times. Today I got no response when pushing the start button. I tried plugging into the charger, it would come on but no response and would immediately return to black screen. I finally ended up ejecting the SIM card and pushing it back in to get it to come on. This is absolutely ridiculous to have this problem with such an expensive piece of equipment after only a couple months of use. Very upset and disappointed with Apple right now.

Nov 13, 2015 9:34 AM in response to darkfire.shadows

I experienced the same problem. I havent performed a restore and prefer not to do that so I'm going to hold off on doing that for time being.

Ive also had a couple instances when I couldnt wake it up when it was clearly on because siri was working but I couldnt get the screen to wake up either from touch on the screen or the home button. I had to hold the on/off and home screen buttons to do a hard reboot.

Ipad Pro shuts off while charging and requires a hard reset to turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.