Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 4.9.3 used to run fine on my Mac mini under Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Now it crashes a few seconds after launch with the error message 'iPhoto quit unexpectedly'. Tried repair permissions and restore backup from Time Machine - no help.

iPhoto 4.9.3 used to run fine on my Mac mini under Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Now it crashes a few seconds after launch with the error message 'iPhoto quit unexpectedly'. Tried repair permissions and restore backup from Time Machine - no help. What next?

Posted on Nov 19, 2015 1:21 PM

17 replies

Nov 20, 2015 10:55 AM in response to dansen_in_ohio

Might be a corrupted .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

In Finder hold down the option/alt key while selecting the Go menu item. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you want to make your user library permanently visible, run the below command in Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Nov 21, 2015 10:51 AM in response to Eric Root

I did these a couple days ago with no change in the problem, but did them again just in case. iPhoto still crashes shortly after displaying the info panel. By the way, by crash I mean that the program ends with an error message that iPhoto quit unexpectedly and giving a choice to ignore, report, or reopen. I have reported a couple of times and then selected the option of sending the report on to Apple. But I have heard nothing back from them.

Nov 21, 2015 5:49 PM in response to dansen_in_ohio

I've encountered the same behavior using the Info button.

I DO NOT have a solution, but I have determined that in my case, the error is directly related to behind the scenes communication occurring between iPhoto and Google.

Those messages & communications might be a controlled by default or preference set somewhere else within OS X, such as the default Safari search engine, which I have intentionally set to Google. I have not tried other search engine options yet.

In any case, using Little Snitch and clicking the Info button on my OS X 10.8.5 system with iPhoto 9.3.2, iPhoto attempts to connect to several Google-related urls and apparently api's.

The first attempt is to contact chrome.google.com

User uploaded file

The second attempt is to csi.gstatic.com

User uploaded file

The third attempt is to contact googleapis.l.google.com

User uploaded file

Finally, an attempt to contact googleadapis.l.google.com

User uploaded file

At this point, the attempted connection to iPhoto is terminated according to Little Snitch (what the red text box in the upper left corner indicates) before I can approve or deny it, and brings up the crash screen.

One more thought.

Since Apple has stopped development of iPhoto, there is zero chance that this will ever be resolved by Apple with a program update.

Nov 22, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Recycled Hoosier

Bingo! Upon reading your posts at both places, I immediately turned off my Wi-Fi on the mac mini. This disconnects me from the internet since we are connected via a Verizon modem plugged into a router hooked to our mac mini. And that lets my iPhoto info work correctly. But this work-around is good enough for me since whenever I want to check on the details about a photo, it is just a couple of clicks to turn off the wi-fi from the desktop menu bar. Eventually I will upgrade to the latest OS and Photos after I assure myself it will not break other software I use daily (like Office 2011 and Bento).

Thanks.

iPhoto 4.9.3 used to run fine on my Mac mini under Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Now it crashes a few seconds after launch with the error message 'iPhoto quit unexpectedly'. Tried repair permissions and restore backup from Time Machine - no help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.