Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto crashes after clicking INFO on any picture

iPhoto crashes after clicking INFO on any picture.

OSX 10.8.5

iPhoto 11 version 9.4.3

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 8GB RAM, 1TB HD

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 11:18 AM

The problem has to do with the Google map being no longer available for the location feature in iPhoto 9.4.3 and earlier.

User Huxly647 figured out this fix

1. go to the /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources folder

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

iPhoto will no longer crash while the locations feature is no longer a viable feature.

User uploaded file

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2015 11:18 AM in response to Randy Burleson1

The problem has to do with the Google map being no longer available for the location feature in iPhoto 9.4.3 and earlier.

User Huxly647 figured out this fix

iPhoto will no longer crash while the locations feature is no longer a viable feature.

User uploaded file

Nov 21, 2015 9:56 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you SO much! I spent nearly my whole Saturday trying the whole standard routine of troubleshooting these kinds of issues, and was totally baffled & frustrated. After making no progress, I kept trying to identify what changed on my system, but couldn't find anything. Turns out that nothing did change locally, but rather something external -- the Google location feature. To think that that was enough to bring the app to its knees.

Nov 22, 2015 1:23 AM in response to Old Toad

Hello,

I do have exactly the same problem since yesterday - but on my System: OSX 10.8.5 does not exist the folders "/Contents/Resources" in the descripted path, neither exist the files "googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html". What to do?

Second problem: iPhoto can't find some pictures any more - even after doing the hole repairing point with "cmd+alt".

It would be very great to get help as soon as possible!

Thank anyone very much in advance!

Barb

Nov 22, 2015 1:42 AM in response to Randy Burleson1

Hello,

I do have exactly the same problem since yesterday - but on my System: OSX 10.8.5 does not exist the folders "/Contents/Resources" in the descripted path, neither exist the files "googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html". What to do?

>> This problem is solved: I found the folders with the right mouse click on "iPhoto.app" - context menue: "show paket content". Great!

Second problem still exists: iPhoto can't find some pictures any more (around 1000 of 13000) - even after doing the hole repairing point with "cmd+alt". I did not move the iphoto library or anything else!

It would be very great to get help as soon as possible!

Thank anyone very much in advance!

Barb

Nov 22, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Old Toad

I am so grateful that Old Toad posted this fix by Huxly647 (whoever that is -- thank you)! I spent some time trying to glean something from the crash report stack trace, but luckily thought to search out the question and found this solution almost right away. Saved me many hours and much, much grief.

(Also on iPhoto 9.4.3 and Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion, iPhoto crashes only when I click the Info button or View Info. Hope others find this forum page, too!)

Nov 23, 2015 12:29 PM in response to Randy Burleson1

Thx! Problem is solved!

Found finally the way to show the folders - but would have been helpful to get the following instructions earlier 😉 : "Go to your Applications Folder and find the iPhoto icon there. Right click on it and Choose 'Show Package Contents' and a new window will open at the Contents Folder. The Resources folder is inside that."

Anyway, thanks so much for the solution!

I also could restore the db finally - via time machine. anything is working perfectly.

Nov 24, 2015 3:44 PM in response to Old Toad

Hello,

Glad to hear I am not alone with this problem. I followed the steps below to delete the two google files; however, neither one appears in the Resources folder. Any ideas?

I have 21,000+ photos that I have used Places to geo-tag vacation photos (we have a good camera but it doesn't have geo-tag capabilities). Coming to terms with the fact that I can no longer track our vacation photos in this manner. Have resorted to using the 'empty box' below the Places box to write in location details/additional comments for photos. Will that option be gone now as well?

Thank you for any assistance!

Macbook Pro Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.5

iPhoto 8.1.2

Red Specs

iPhoto crashes after clicking INFO on any picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.