Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4th generation Siri remote volume control with Samsung soundbar

Has anyone been able to get their Siri remote to successfully control the volume of a Samsung soundbar (HW-E550 or any model) that is connected to a Samsung LED TV UN46C800UF (or any TV) via optical cable? Mine won't and it's running tvOS 9.0.1.

Programming the Siri remote with the soundbar's remote appears to go well but the volume on the soundbar does not change when using the Siri remote's volume controls.

When the Apple TV is set to control TV via IR, the Siri remote does adjust my Samsung TV's built-in speaker volume even though it shouldn't, in theory, because the Siri remote was programmed by the sounderbar's remote. And the soundbar remote only controls the soundbar's volume and not the TV's built-in speakers.

Would love to hear any solutions or if you are experiencing the same thing, please submit feedback to www.apple.com/feedback so they will know about the issue and perhaps fix it.

Apple TV (4th generation), tvOS 9.0.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 3:37 PM

I have this exact same issue! Different TV (Sony), but same Samsung sound bar. The pairing assistant in Settings seems to indicate it's reading the volume up/down commands from the Samsung remote, but it never works from the Apple TV remote.

6 replies

Nov 30, 2015 8:42 PM in response to mrchezem

I also have the same issue with Samsung HW-F550. I've submitted feedback to Apple.

My model supports HDMI-CEC, so I can control the volume via HDMI if I connect the ATV directly to sound bar, but not by IR.

I also found these forum threads that talk about the same problem:

ATV 4 can learn remote for Samsung HW-J550 sound bar but can't control volume

I can't get the remote to learn to change the volume on my sound bar

Let's all submit feedback to Apple so they'll work on fixing this bug if they're not already.

Mar 15, 2016 6:48 PM in response to mrchezem

I had been using my digital out from my TV for Audio to the soundbar for years, but I learned today that if your Samsung soundbar has HDMI pass through, use it! I ran the AppleTV HDMI out into the soundbar, then HDMI from soundbar to TV. Set TV to "anynet". Now I can use my appleTV remote to not only turn my tv off and on, but I am using it to control my Samsung soundbar volume.

I will say, it was real annoying to try to get this working. Had I not had to reroute some power and cabling for my home theater, I probably would still be using Bluetooth. When I had my soundbar off the wall, I noticed it had HDMI in and out.

TL;DR Use the HDMI passthrough function of the Samsung's Soundbar. It will in turn allow the Apple TV to control the volume.

Mar 30, 2016 4:09 PM in response to graphicsByBrad

I believe this issue has been resolved with the tvOS 9.2 update. After updating to 9.2, make sure your remote firmware has been updated. It can take up to a week to automatically update, but you can also force update. See this page for instructions:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/03/01/how-to-update-siri-remote-firmware/

My Siri remote works with my Samsung Sound Bar now!

Apple TV 4th generation Siri remote volume control with Samsung soundbar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.