Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an email stuck in my outbox and it won't allow me to delete it

I tried to send a video attachment from an app. The email is now stuck in my outbox (iCloud) on my iPhone and I can't delete it. it won't swipe to show the red delete tab. How do I delete it and stop it 'spinning' away? Thanks

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Dec 21, 2015 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 11:19 AM

OK, gang, i think i figured it out. I got it to work at least, but there is one step that no one seems to mention: once you turn on Airplane mode, then completely power down your iphone. - as in, hold down power button until you seen the red & white "Slide to power off" button. Power back on, then go straight to OUTBOX with airplane mode still on. (Mine turned red & let me delete at that point) There REALLY should be a simple shortcut built into MAIL to solve this problem. hint hint, AAPL….

96 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2016 11:19 AM in response to vickyarfryn

OK, gang, i think i figured it out. I got it to work at least, but there is one step that no one seems to mention: once you turn on Airplane mode, then completely power down your iphone. - as in, hold down power button until you seen the red & white "Slide to power off" button. Power back on, then go straight to OUTBOX with airplane mode still on. (Mine turned red & let me delete at that point) There REALLY should be a simple shortcut built into MAIL to solve this problem. hint hint, AAPL….

Jul 4, 2017 1:36 PM in response to Clermont1

Okay, after two months of frustration this was by far the answer to my problem using the added one point that had not been mentioned:

1. Once you turn on Airplane mode
  2. Completely power down your iphone
  3. Hold down power button until you seen the red & white "Slide to power off" button
  4. Power back on, then go straight to OUTBOX with airplane mode still on. (Mine turned red & let me delete at that point)

Thank you for the stress relieving 5 point lesson.

Jan 17, 2016 4:28 PM in response to vickyarfryn

This did not work for me. Even in airplane mode the one email (with video) is still spinning away (since Jan. 7) and the edit option is greyed out. A couple of weeks ago a lead chat tech support person worked with me for hours trying to figure out a problem with sending iPhone videos which began suddenly in December. It was in the process of figuring that out that this email got stuck in my outbox. I would just ignore it but now other emails get stuck in the que waiting for this one to send. Those emails I can edit or resend but the problem email just sits there.

Anyone have the solution? (I have an iPhone 5S operating on IOS 9.2. ATT is the carrier if that matters.)

I have an email stuck in my outbox and it won't allow me to delete it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.