Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Corrosion of sides of body leading to small holes

A gold iPhone 6 in the household (approximately 6 months old) is exhibiting corrosion on both sides of the body leading to pits / holes.

The phone has always been kept in a quality case (Speck) and never exposed to the weather or had any water damage. It is kept in a bag (not in a pocket) when out and about. It has a quality glass screen protector. It is about as pampered and protected a phone we've ever had!

I've noticed some discolouration a couple of months ago after taking the phone out of the case but was able to wipe it clean. Getting the phone out of the case today, I noticed not only discolouration but deep pits indicating corrosion.

Has anyone else seen this? I've noticed this one other thread about corrosion/rust on an iPhone 6, but can't be sure if it is exactly the same without seeing photos.

Since we've gone to such great lengths to take care of this phone, I'm super disappointed.

Photos of the corrosion:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The quality case used:

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: prembo - added link to another possibly relevant thread.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2, null

Posted on Jan 2, 2016 8:51 PM

29 replies

Jan 15, 2017 9:56 PM in response to prembo

Hi

Im also having the same kind of problem with my iphone 6plus silver . Yesterday i noticed tiny holes on the sides of my phone and im also shocked to see.. i have kept my phone in a silicone case .. and noticed discoloration (silver) on the inner sides of the case.. and kind of white powder near to it ..

May 24, 2017 3:03 AM in response to prembo

Hi there Prembo,

SAME PROBLEM HERE TOO. Silver Iphone6

I've had a Tech21 impact case since buying phone. Initially thought it was spots of dust - closer inspection revealed corrosion pitting in the aluminium with residue left on the inside of the case. I'd post photos but they are pretty well identical to those you show.

There turns out to be a LOT of research into pitting corrosion in aircraft aluminium (Aussi spelling) and it is due to environment and the micro-constituents of the metal. There are over 300,000 tiny particles per cm2 and depending on their distribution, & whether they are Copper, Iron, Manganese, Aluminium or Magnesium effects the potential for pitting as we have seen. To make matters more complex, heat treating and machining (including cutting, grinding and pressing) can affect the formation of pits. I'm going to take mine to an Apple shop (which means travelling interstate) and see if they do the right thing by me.

Jun 17, 2017 6:43 AM in response to prembo

Hey I'm experiencing the same thing! I was looking here for a likely case like mine cause I thought it was my phone case too. I have an iPhone 6s Plus rose gold, phone is about 6 months old and has been kept in a case from when it was purchased. I occasionally take it out for cleaning but place it back immediately after, so I disregard it being as a result of dust or whatever specs might be scratching it. I noticed one hole before but thought it was probably a scratch from me placing it down. However today I have noticed multiple, spread out on the back side of the phone and have no idea what to make of it. Don't know what's causing it and how it can be stopped. So trust me, I know for a fact that it's not to do with me taking care of it and highly disappointed as well

Jun 17, 2017 7:35 AM in response to Glomayo7

Glomayo7 wrote:

Hey I'm experiencing the same thing! I was looking here for a likely case like mine cause I thought it was my phone case too. I have an iPhone 6s Plus rose gold, phone is about 6 months old and has been kept in a case from when it was purchased. I occasionally take it out for cleaning but place it back immediately after, so I disregard it being as a result of dust or whatever specs might be scratching it. I noticed one hole before but thought it was probably a scratch from me placing it down. However today I have noticed multiple, spread out on the back side of the phone and have no idea what to make of it. Don't know what's causing it and how it can be stopped. So trust me, I know for a fact that it's not to do with me taking care of it and highly disappointed as well

The case is trapping moisture between the case and the phone. Aluminum corrodes in the presence of moisture. Not as fast as iron, but it still corrodes. Some cases (mostly cheap plastic) also outgas the chemicals used to create the plastic for months or years. These chemicals are also corrosive. That is what is causing the spotting.

Oct 21, 2017 3:36 AM in response to prembo

I experienced the same on my Iphone6s. But mine is more severe. I never let my phone touch the ground or even fall. But mine has the same thing but has a lot of rust behind it. I was surprised because I barely take off my case. I asked several people and majority of them said it’s because of the phone case I’m using or I barely clean it. You’re not alone.

Jan 2, 2016 8:55 PM in response to prembo

Cases can trap things such as dust and dirt between the case and the device and can cause problems. If you look at the case, which appears to be white in color from the photo, and look at the corresponding area to the problems you have on the phone, do you notice discoloration there? It appears to me that something has been there to scratch at the phone. I would also bring this up with the case manufacturer and see what they have to say about it. Have they had similar reports from other users?

Jan 2, 2016 9:12 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

The case (which incidentally is dark grey) was well cleaned out, free from any particles etc. When I removed the phone from the case today, there is of course residue on the case where corrosion is occurring on the phone. But this residue can be wiped clean from the case revealing no abnormalities in these spots on the case close to where the corrosion is occurring on the phone.

Even so, a little bit of dust or even some kind of dirt shouldn't be able to cause such major corrosion. Abrasion, maybe. But I wouldn't imagine it could cause that kind of serious corrosion.

Thanks for your input Chris.

Prembo.

Jan 3, 2016 6:58 AM in response to prembo

You would need to have the device examined by Apple. Make a Genius Bar appointment. I have a gold 6s, but my daughter has a gold 6, and have not witnessed anything like you show in the photos. It almost appears as though it has come into contact with something that has caused that damage. I would not venture to know what could have caused it, but what I think doesn't matter.

Jan 3, 2016 6:58 AM in response to prembo

Nobody is ever going to be able to diagnose this over an Internet discussion. You need to make a genius appointment and take it in to Apple for evaluation.

Corrosion to me seems very unlikely given the usage conditions you mention, and the fact the iPhone case itself is made from aircraft grade anodized aluminum. While aluminum can corrode, the conditions to cause pit corrosiiion on aluminum have to be pretty harsh to start the reaction (i.e. Moist and conductive).

Jan 3, 2016 7:08 AM in response to Michael Black

Yes truly bizarre and disappointing as we've taken such good care of this phone.

Interestingly I pulled out an iPad 4 we have (~ 3 years old) that has been treated a little bit rougher but similarly kept in a case since we purchased it, and in an identical environment & climate. No corrosion whatsoever. But such major corrosion on the iPhone 6 within 6 months. 😮

Jan 3, 2016 10:48 AM in response to prembo

I believe this to be an anomaly, given the specific type of markings on the phone. Like I said my daughter's phone has not shown this type of wear, and I guarantee, even though it has been in several different cases over its life, it is probably treated much rougher than you would treat yours, as she is a college student. Leave it to Apple to diagnose.

Jan 8, 2016 5:38 PM in response to applian

Hi Applian,

Wow - that's no good. Looks exactly like what is happening to mine.

• Is it an iPhone 6 or 6S?
  • Looks like your iPhone 6 is silver right?
  • Approximately how old is it?
  • Has it spent most of its time in a case?
  • What kind of case? Material? (My Speck case has a rubbery feel)

I haven't had a chance to take mine in yet (no Apple store, just an authorised service centre near where we are at the moment).

Thanks for sharing.

Prembo

iPhone 6 Corrosion of sides of body leading to small holes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.