Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic 160g does not sync

My iPod stopped syncing all of a sudden after my iTunes was updated to 12.3.2 . Tested both USB ports, they work fine. Tested with different cables to connect, even bought a brand new cable, no connection. This exact thing happening is, I plug it into USB, iPod lights up, states "Connecting" and right away goes to "Ok to disconnect with the bar at the bottom" and automatically goes to my main screen. All music thats in it still works. Everything functions fine with the iPod. It just won't sync to my iTunes anymore. Its also, in a way, the back up for my entire iTunes library.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 13, 2016 1:29 PM

41 replies

Aug 4, 2017 5:58 PM in response to bver88

See this post on reinstalling either the current version of iTunes or a recent one that works better for you: Re: Re: iTune Crashes on latest release.

You do not want to sync if there is content on the device that isn't in your library. See this guide on recovering your media from your device: Recover media from an iPod. As long as it shows in Finder when in disk mode you can get the content off it now before worrying about iTunes.

tt2

Jul 25, 2017 2:00 PM in response to jjkessler

Connect the device to iTunes and select the icon that appears on the top row.

User uploaded file

Then check the sync selections on the various pages such as music, movies, etc. before trying to sync once more. Perhaps it is only syncing one rarely updated playlist. Make sure the content in your library is checked and downloaded. iTunes cannot put Apple Music items or anything that is in the cloud onto an iPod classic. If needs be restore the device and reload it.

tt2

Jun 14, 2017 4:06 PM in response to cxstro

I have this same issue and have opened a ticket with Apple support. Tested three (3) different iPod 160GB, several cables, direct USB connect, Hub connect, powered-hub connect and a Elgato Thunderbolt 2 dock ports.

The iPods all appear in System Information under USB but iTunes seems to be disconnecting them. Everything under current release at the time of this post.

Jun 19, 2017 3:08 PM in response to turingtest2

iTunes disconnects.

On the iPod Classic 160GB models, and I've tested four (4) iPod Classic 160GB with several different 30-pin cables, the iPod Classic will get to the point where the "Sync" animation appears on the iPod display and then it immediately disconnects. The behavior looks like iTunes or iTunesHelper is doing the disconnect. If iTunes doesn't launch, the device appears in Finder, as expected. (It actually appears in Finder very briefly, even if iTunes does the disconnect.)

Each IpoD appears in the System Information screens under USB in the appropriate USB controller, whether that's the Mac Pro USB port, a USB Hub or a dock like Elgato. Under each of the wiring patterns, the behavior is the same.

I then tested the previous generation iPod Classic, two (2) 60GB iPod Classic units. They seem to behave differently, appearing in Finder but never being seen by iTunes and never being disconnected.

It seems like the USB2 article Apple published on June 6th might be relevant to this situation.

Thanks for your comment and suggestion.

Jun 26, 2017 11:33 AM in response to ZzyzxOh

Apple Customer Service called me today, 26-June-2017, to inform me the Apple "Engineering Team" has declared the iPod Classic 160GB to be "obsolete" and the functionality to sync with iTunes will not be restored. The resolution is to purchase a new and smaller iPod Touch device (which also has an uncertain future).

I am now evaluating third-party software to replace iTunes, a product called Swinsian, the seems very promising for iPod Classic devotees. This involves making your iPod Classic work in Disk Enabled mode. Three of my units were already set that way, but a fourth unit seems to accept the setting on my older MacMini but not seem to have it when I connect to the mac Pro under Sierra. You also want to turn off "Automatically launch iTunes" upon connection.

It's very disappointing that a new MacOS machine would not work with the iPod Classic. Sometimes "used" is better than "new".

Jun 28, 2017 4:04 AM in response to Rein2k

Not sure if related, if your iPod was originally synched on another computer, say an ex GF or wife, or another mac you used to own, the classic will not work. I bought and downloaded cd's on another iMac with my iPod classic, but had to get a new one. All the other music I bought is now wasted, I cannot get it on the new IMAC. So if I purchase or download cds to the new MAC, it will not synch ON MY CLASSIC. APPLE HAS SCREWED US OVER ON THIS ONE!!!

Jan 13, 2016 3:04 PM in response to Rein2k

Is it set up to sync automatically? Select iPod in iTunes (click its device button on horizontal bar) to show its settings screen on iTunes window. Along left side (in the sidebar), under Settings, click Music. To the right, the iPod's Music settings screen is shown. Is the checkbox for Sync Music checked? If it's not checked, your iPod is not set to sync music automatically.

NOTE: When you change that setting, any songs on the iPod that are not in your iTunes library will be lost.

If the checkbox for Sync Music is not checked, checkmark it. Below that, if your iTunes music library fits on your iPod, choose the option to sync Entire music library. Then click Apply. iTunes may remove all of your songs from iPod, and then sync your entire music library back. If your iPod has a problem with its hard drive, this may cause an iPod that functioned "as is" to no longer function. If it works, your entire music library will be on the iPod and iTunes will keep it up to date with changes, when you connect it (or click Sync if already connected).

Jan 13, 2016 3:17 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

It is set to sync automatically from my knowledge. I haven't changed those setting ever. Prior to this, it was simple. I plug the iPod thru usb. It shows up in my itunes. The problem now is, it's not even showing up in my iTunes or my desktop. When I plug in it into usb, the iPod will say "Connected" and within a few seconds "Ejecting" into "Ok to Disconnect". Before, soon as I plug it in, the "syncing" icon and word would show up on my iPod and into my iTunes. Now Its not doing anything now. If I remember correctly now, this happened after my last OS X update on Dec 19.

Jan 14, 2016 1:43 AM in response to Rein2k

I'm having the same problem except I'm on windows 7 (and hesitant to upgrade to 10). I'm running up to date itunes and ipod software (itunes 12) for my ipod classic 160gb which is only a couple years old. I've troubleshooted restarting computer, itunes, ipod, different cords, usb ports. Windows recognizes my ipod as an ipod. However itunes doesn't. The iPod itself works fine. I've been having issues for a couple of months. Everyonce and a while it will sync, but I can't find the reason for it. I've also tried turning automatic sync on and off in the preferences.

I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to go back to itunes 11? I'm really unimpressed with Apple at this point.

iPod Classic 160g does not sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.