Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I power on

When I power on instead of going straight to my desktop My name, test & Guest User pops up and it ask for my password. How do I get rid of this?

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 19, 2016 12:12 PM

20 replies

Jan 27, 2016 5:46 PM in response to Lyle Cass

Until the past few years when whole disk encryption became practical, EVERYONE's data was exposed to physical access to their computer.

Apple's initial FileVault was not very good, but when they introduced FileVault 2 (their first whole disk encryption), it was much better. As it has been out and well debugged in several OS X releases, and with all the snooping going on, I think Apple decided to encourage enabling FileVault 2 during initial system setup. So more and more users are now using FileVault 2.

When I power on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.