Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SOLUTION: Magic Mouse 2 Pair with Windows 10 on BootCamp

Hi All,

I would like to post a solution on pairing a magic mouse 2 with Windows 10 on Bootcamp when pairing has been lost.

It appears on the Internets that the only solution is to go into device manager and delete the device for the apple trackpad. However, this is not a fix but more of a hacking band-aid. Seems more like a generic way to do things if you ask me. I actually unpaired my magic mouse with Windows 10 after a bootcamp install because the mouse was stuttering across the screen. Windows wouldn't allow me to re-pair the magic mouse 2. So, here's what I did to fix it:

THE REAL SOLUTION:

The way that I corrected this issue was to do the following:

1. Restart the machine and hold down the Option key on your keyboard (this will allow you to select the partition you want to boot from)

2. Select the OSX partition

3. Go into Preferences > Bluetooth Settings > Delete the Magic Mouse 2 that was previously paired

4. Add the Magic Mouse 2 back to Bluetooth

5. Reboot the MBP following Step 1

6. Select the Windows Partition

7. Your Magic Mouse 2 should now be re-paired with Windows 10

CONCLUSION:

It seems that the Bluetooth settings are inherited from OSX into Windows 10 in regards to the Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse 2. This is the logical way to approach this issue since you can continuously use the bluetooth devices across both OS platforms.

I would suggest NOT removing any devices from device manager in Windows to attempt to correct the issue because the driver is already installed and working. The issue relies within OSX because Apple makes the devices work seamlessly across both platforms on both partitions.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Mark

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), 2.8GHz, AMD GPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB PCIe

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2018 12:12 AM

Your solution doesn't work at all. The only workaround is:

1. Launch macOS.
  2. Remove Magic Mouse 2 from Bluetooth device.
  3. Launch Windows.
  4. Pair Magic mouse 2.

When you want to use Magic Mouse on macOS, you have to add to Bluetooth device again.

If you don't remove Magic Mouse 2 on macOS beforehand, it will never be recognized on Windows. Sometimes you can see Magic Mouse 2 (or as "Magic Mouse") when you search Bluetooth device. But it will always fail with yellow error message.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2018 12:12 AM in response to mjaestewart

Your solution doesn't work at all. The only workaround is:

1. Launch macOS.
  2. Remove Magic Mouse 2 from Bluetooth device.
  3. Launch Windows.
  4. Pair Magic mouse 2.

When you want to use Magic Mouse on macOS, you have to add to Bluetooth device again.

If you don't remove Magic Mouse 2 on macOS beforehand, it will never be recognized on Windows. Sometimes you can see Magic Mouse 2 (or as "Magic Mouse") when you search Bluetooth device. But it will always fail with yellow error message.

Jan 5, 2018 2:33 PM in response to mjaestewart

I spent about 10 hours on this issue. And finally fixed it. I have a MacBook 12" and installed Windows (Bootcamp). I started with Mac and - of course - installed the Magic Mouse 2 right away. But I did not get used to it, so I installed Windows 10, which felt fine, but was not able to pair the Magic Mouse.

This will be the obvious sequence of things for many of us. However, as others already mentioned, the MacBook seems to "remember" settings when you change from OS to Windows and vice versa. When the device is paired in Mac/OS, it somehow seems to be occupied when you look at it in Windows.

After all troubleshooting, I did the following:

Windows
Remove all settings which relate to the mouse in the Bluetooth menu

Go to Device Manager and remove the magic mouse under the Bluetooth chapter

Restart and press OPTION button, to change to Mac/OS

Mac OS

Remove all settings which refer to the Magic Mouse in the Bluetooth menu in OS

Restart again and boot in Windows

Under Windows, add the mouse as a new Bluetooth device. As Windows nor Mac does remember anything anymore, it will install the mouse as a new device and it works instantly. And keeps working after reboot.

Apr 11, 2018 2:48 PM in response to Loner T

I only have a Magic Mouse 2. I used to use a Dell Bluetooth mouse and that had no problem except it was fagly and heavy.

I looked into Windows Device Manager and found out that deleting Magic Mouse under Bluetooth device means nothing because it will be restored when rescanned. I think Apple Bootcamp does something between macOS and Windows.

May 7, 2018 1:30 AM in response to mjaestewart

I am currently using an iMac 2017 model. Even though the Windows update fixed the problem with the keyboard I was still having issues with the mouse.

The solution I found was to make sure the mouse is synced in MacOS and then to power it off when it restarts and power it back on only when Windows has completely loaded.

But VERY importantly you need to power off the mouse just when MacOS has exited and Windows is about to start. If you power off the mouse while MacOS is still restarting it won't work. Basically the MacOS shouldn't know you have powered off the mouse. You need to time it correctly.

Jun 5, 2018 8:15 PM in response to mjaestewart

I just found a really simple solution many have looked over, just use any old USB PC mouse. This way you don't have to mess around with deleting and re finding devices. If you don't have one you can pick it up for next to nothing in thrift stores, (no drivers needed) oh, and a keyboard (too because it won't recognize the BT keyboard either).

Jun 7, 2018 5:06 AM in response to mjaestewart

I had this issue previously and seemed to be resolved by changing Bluetooth Collaboration to "Enable" in device manager and also turning off “Allow the computer to run off this device to save power” for Bluetooth Radio in Device Manager as outlined here:

https://hangconsult.com/2018/01/23/fix-bluetooth-on-windows-10-fall-creators-upd ate-mac-bootcamp/

However since the latest Windows update 1803 the Bluetooth mouse no longer connects in Windows or drops out after 2-3 seconds.

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem as it is very frustrating?

Looks like this could be a issue anytime a Windows update is released.

User uploaded file

SOLUTION: Magic Mouse 2 Pair with Windows 10 on BootCamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.