Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.13.4 Broke BootCamp Bluetooth

Greetings!

This is super urgent! I need help! Fresh macOS 10.13.4 update most likely installed some new firmware because now I cannot connect to my keyboard or mouse in Windows 10! I tried re-pairing, reinstalling drivers, rebooting and resetting PRAM. Devices seem paired, but they never connect. They connect and disconnect every second to be precise.

I need Windows 10 working by Monday. Kindly give an advice, please.

Thank you.

Posted on Mar 30, 2018 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2018 8:59 AM

Sorry for the duplicate post, it won't allow me to edit or delete the previous one.

It’s taken a while...as it always does.

Right, with MacOS 10.13.3 installed from my Time Machine backup, and having installed Windows 10 Pro without running any updates everything worked fine.

I then ran Windows update and installed the following...

- Definition update for Defender Antivirus (KB2267602)

- 2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1709 for x64 systems (KB4088776)

- Windows malicious software removal tool x64 - March 2018 (KB890830)

- 2018-03 Security update for Adobe Flash Player (KB4088785)

- Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based systems (KB058043)

Having installed these and rebooted, both the keyboard and mouse immediately stopped working.

I then booted back into MacOS and you’ve guessed it, the mouse didn’t work without having to re-pair it.

I found that in Device Manager-Bluetooth, for every device listed, in the events tab there is a message saying “device xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx requires further installation”. It means nothing to me but someone more knowledgable might be able to get something from it.

User uploaded file

I’m now reinstalling Windows 10 and will not update it until I know this is fixed. I really only use it for occastional gaming and for browsing mainstream websites related to gaming so I’m willing to risk it.

I might even install MacOS 10.13.4 as I now think it’s not actually this that is the issue, it’s definitely a Windows update problem. Perhaps an update to the Bootcamp drivers is in the offing but for now, it’s most definitely broken. If I try it and it works I'll let you know.

Cheers

Similar questions

146 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2018 8:59 AM in response to desmortum

Sorry for the duplicate post, it won't allow me to edit or delete the previous one.

It’s taken a while...as it always does.

Right, with MacOS 10.13.3 installed from my Time Machine backup, and having installed Windows 10 Pro without running any updates everything worked fine.

I then ran Windows update and installed the following...

- Definition update for Defender Antivirus (KB2267602)

- 2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1709 for x64 systems (KB4088776)

- Windows malicious software removal tool x64 - March 2018 (KB890830)

- 2018-03 Security update for Adobe Flash Player (KB4088785)

- Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based systems (KB058043)

Having installed these and rebooted, both the keyboard and mouse immediately stopped working.

I then booted back into MacOS and you’ve guessed it, the mouse didn’t work without having to re-pair it.

I found that in Device Manager-Bluetooth, for every device listed, in the events tab there is a message saying “device xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx requires further installation”. It means nothing to me but someone more knowledgable might be able to get something from it.

User uploaded file

I’m now reinstalling Windows 10 and will not update it until I know this is fixed. I really only use it for occastional gaming and for browsing mainstream websites related to gaming so I’m willing to risk it.

I might even install MacOS 10.13.4 as I now think it’s not actually this that is the issue, it’s definitely a Windows update problem. Perhaps an update to the Bootcamp drivers is in the offing but for now, it’s most definitely broken. If I try it and it works I'll let you know.

Cheers

Apr 4, 2018 12:49 AM in response to JB737

Guys, just want to say I'm really glad I have come across this thread as I am having the exact same issue with Apple devices not working in Windows after an update. (Loner T was helping me in another thread, but we got nowhere despite his efforts.)

I want to remove the KB4088776 update as I reqckon it could have something to do with the issue as with everyone else, on a clean install of windows everything was good until an update caused the issue.

Bizarrely, if I look at installed updates in Settings>Windows Update>View Installed Update History, that update shows. However, if I look via Control Panel>....>Installed updates (or click on Uninstall Updates In Settings>Windows Updates) it is not there!

See attached.

User uploaded file

Apr 2, 2018 2:56 AM in response to JB737

You cannot revert anything without having snapshots or backups in Time Machine or elsewhere. Any "resets" will just strip settings, not OS. According to this article we all had 24 hours to revert from local snapshot even without separate recovery storage. But like a true imbecile I didn't know about that then. So if you don't have Time Machine backups you have to do clean install.

But here's the thing: we need 10.13.3 or earlier to find. Since Apple are dropping old downloads we can either download old Sierra from App Store, make install USB and install or search for earlier version of High Sierra on third party sites, do USB and install.

Mar 31, 2018 2:47 PM in response to desmortum

If anyone fixed it or have any idea, I will appreciate it greatly since it is critical.

For now I have found a half-measure, but beware: you won't have scroll and functional keys. Only legacy peripherals support.

1. Boot into Windows 10.
  2. Use USB-mouse.
  3. Got to Settings > Devices.
  4. Unpair mouse and keyboard.
  5. Go to Programs and Features.
  6. Uninstall Apple Wireless Mouse and Apple Keyboard drivers.
  7. Got to Device Manager.
  8. Locate Bluetooth > Apple Broadcom Built-In Bluetooth and open it.
  9. Uninstall it's driver with all binaries.
  10. Refresh devices.
  11. Device should appear as "Unknown device".
  12. Right click it and uninstall device.
  13. Refresh devices.
  14. Device should appear now as unrecognized "Bluetooth USB-Host Controller".
  15. Boot into macOS.
  16. Pair what's missing.
  17. Boot into Windows 10.
  18. You should now have stable mouse and keyboard with legacy support on Microsoft drivers.
  19. No scroll or function keys.

Apr 12, 2018 12:33 AM in response to igmackenzie

igmackenzie, kindly provide your Bluetooth info like these:

• Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 6.0.5f3
  • Chipset: 20703A2
  • Firmware Version: v63 c4263

And then troubleshoot your configuration like I described above, please:

1. Unpair wireless mouse and keyboard from Windows 10.
  2. Boot into macOS, pair everything that is missing.
  3. Set startup volume to Windows.
  4. Reboot back to Windows.
  5. Devices should pair with Windows 10 automatically as it's intended.
  6. Then reboot Windows few times, 5-7.

For me occasionally mouse will die once in a few reboots. Will moise connect every time for you?

Apr 12, 2018 12:55 AM in response to desmortum

desmortum wrote:

igmackenzie, kindly provide your Bluetooth info like these:

• Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 6.0.5f3
  • Firmware Version: v63 c4263

And then troubleshoot your configuration like I described above, please:

1. Unpair wireless mouse and keyboard from Windows 10.
  2. Boot into macOS, pair everything that is missing.
  3. Set startup volume to Windows.
  4. Reboot back to Windows.
  5. Devices should pair with Windows 10 automatically as it's intended.
  6. Then reboot Windows few times, 5-7.

For me occasionally mouse will die once in a few reboots. Will moise connect every time for you?

OK, so

• Apple Broadcom BT: 6.1.6700
  • Firmware Version: v67 c4265.

Bit different to yours.

Re the other stuff, I have rebooted Windows about 20 times in the last couple of days, and have had no issues whatsoever. Sorry!

Apr 1, 2018 1:09 PM in response to Loner T

Okay, so I checked and it's not a link key issue. Every time I pair device in macOS I get new key in

com.apple.Bluetoothd.plist and all keys are precisely reflected in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BTHPORT\Parameters\Keys in Windows after reboot.

And yet nothin's working. I even got my keyboard connected once somehow and then it fell off again. But not the mouse. It's like it's working but extremely unstable.

10.13.4 Broke BootCamp Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.