Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem Bootcamp Windows 10 & Bluetooth

Hello,

on my new iMac Pro Windows 10 created with Bootcamp, Bluetooth does not function anymore.

The problem is, that the original iMac Pro Magic Keyboard and the also original Magic Mouse 2 seems to pair but they get no connection ( keyboard + mouse no response ).

Before i had updated to MacOS 10.13.3 everything went well, both, keyboard and mouse were okay.

Reinstalling the Bootcamp Windows drivers does not have any success, same problem as before.

Any suggestions wether the Bluetooth problem has to due with the MacOS update and therefore the newly installed Windows drivers are also corrupted ?

Many thanks in advance ...

Klaus

Posted on Jan 27, 2018 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2018 11:02 PM

Yep ... #metoo. I'm on an iMac Pro. Plugged in a hardwired keyboard and mouse and everything worked fine, but no bluetooth keyboard or Magic Mouse 2.

Interesting to note, I installed bootcamp from scratch yesterday. BT keyboard and Mouse worked fine after initial install, but problem started after I did the final Windows 10 update to version 1709. I'm pretty sure this is a driver issue ...

Similar questions

147 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2018 11:02 PM in response to klausfromlimburgerhof

Yep ... #metoo. I'm on an iMac Pro. Plugged in a hardwired keyboard and mouse and everything worked fine, but no bluetooth keyboard or Magic Mouse 2.

Interesting to note, I installed bootcamp from scratch yesterday. BT keyboard and Mouse worked fine after initial install, but problem started after I did the final Windows 10 update to version 1709. I'm pretty sure this is a driver issue ...

Jan 30, 2018 9:11 AM in response to klausfromlimburgerhof

While it's not an iMac, I'm having the same problem on a 13-inch 2016 MacBook Pro (with Touchbar), which I run with an external display and Apple Bluetooth Keyboard at work. Running Windows 10 1703 (Creators Update), my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard was connected automatically without issue. After updating to 1709, the bluetooth keyboard will connect briefly, then loose connection (although it's listed as "connected" in Bluetooth Devices in Win10.

When running Win 10 1709 on late 2013 27" iMac, there is no issues.

Mar 18, 2018 11:06 PM in response to klausfromlimburgerhof

Fellow BootCamp users,

After days of back and fourth with the Apple Care support team and some software engineers, I've found that the issue is a Windows 10 Security update that renders Apple keyboard and mouse (and trackpad too) useless. The solution that was provided to me by Apple was to uninstall the affected security updates (they might be different to you since several Windows updates can be combined into a single package). Apple told me to uninstall "Security Update for Microsoft Windows KB4074588" However, KB4056892 is what did it for me. I've sent in several bug reports, with irrelevant responses like how to download the Windows Support files again. Its several weeks since I've known about this issue, please give feedback to Apple so that they can finally fix this issue with their drivers... Rolling back security software updates should never be the solution! Alas, it is. Kind regards.

Apr 9, 2018 11:23 AM in response to igmackenzie

2) Not sure what you mean about Retina displays not being supported. If icons, etc. are too small, then change the scaling factor in Windows Display Settings. Common for 5120x2880 displays is 200%.

This is what i mean about the Bootcamp Windows app still not supporting retina resolutions correctly. Volume pop-up very small compared to macOS or pre Retina screens. Icons inside the app abnormally small.

Windows looks great, and the scaling settings are properly configured by Bootcamp Setup on 200% (although it shows initially as a greyed-out 450% on Windows's settings saying a personalized scaled has been define and entering into it shows the 200%).

User uploaded file

May 5, 2018 11:36 AM in response to klausfromlimburgerhof

Hi.

Lost the Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad 2 on my late 2015 27-inch iMac again today May 5th.

I've seen (and the same happen where it also didn't work on April before being misteriosly solved with the April Cummulative Update of Windows 10) that if you go to Windows Event Viewer -> System.... when you switch off and on your mouse for it to reconnect....a WARNING error gets logged: something about BTUSB and Windows rejecting a connection because the device hasn't established a proper encryption before connecting.

PLEASE CHECK IF THE SAME "BTUSB" ERROR POPS ON YOUR SYSTEMS

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Here I attach a screenshot of the error that Windows logs each time it tries to reconnect to the Mouse or Trackpad.

Also.... about some minutes ago this popped-up on Windows Update:

User uploaded file

Installed it but the problem hasn't solved. Nothing changed.

Now Windows 1803 Update has popped-up on Windows Update..... I hope MM2 comes back to life after the update......

May 11, 2018 4:20 PM in response to csteelooper

csteelooper wrote:

Loner T wrote:

The current Bootcamp drivers are OEM'd by Apple from Microsoft…

No, actually, they aren’t. There is no such thing, in this case, as drivers having been OEM’d.

What do you think of the following drivers?

User uploaded file

csteelooper wrote:

What is being used is the bog-standard mouse.vxd-driver (or whatever it may be called these days in Windows 10); not anything else whatsoever (apart, perhaps, from the communications part of it, what with the bluetooth connection needing to be established and maintained).

As far as you can even OEM such a thing as a driver, what that would refer to is, for example, when HP would use Logitech MouseWare and brand it as their own software, for their specific mouse. That is definitely not what is going on here.

If Windows forces it's own drivers, then yes.

From Bootcamp.xml...

<Name>Apple USB Ethernet Adapter

<InfName>AppleUSBEthernet.inf</InfName>

<Class> Net</Class>

<ClassGUID> {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}</ClassGUID>

<CatalogFile> AppleUSBEthernetex.cat</CatalogFile>

<Provider> "Apple Inc."</Provider>

<DriverVer> 02/01/2008, 3.8.3.10</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>AppleUSBEthernet.sys</ServiceBinary>

<HardwareID></HardwareID>

<isX64>no</isX64>

</Name>

<Name>Apple Wireless Mouse

<InfName>AppleBMT.inf</InfName>

<Class>HIDClass</Class>

<ClassGUID>{745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}</ClassGUID>

<CatalogFile>applebmt.cat</CatalogFile>

<DriverVer>06/01/2011,4.0.0.1</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>applebmt.sys</ServiceBinary>

<isX64>no</isX64>

</Name>

<Name>Apple Wireless Mouse

<InfName>AppleBMT64.inf</InfName>

<Class>HIDClass</Class>

<CatalogFile>applebmt64.cat</CatalogFile>

<DriverVer>06/01/2011,4.0.0.1</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>applebmt.sys</ServiceBinary>

<isX64>yes</isX64>

</Name>

<Name>Apple Wireless Trackpad

<InfName>AppleWTP.inf</InfName>

<Class>HIDClass</Class>

<CatalogFile>applewtp.cat</CatalogFile>

<DriverVer>10/29/2011,5.0.0.0</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>applewtp.sys</ServiceBinary>

<isX64>no</isX64>

</Name>

<Name>Apple Wireless Trackpad

<InfName>AppleWTP64.inf</InfName>

<Class>HIDClass</Class>

<CatalogFile>applewtp64.cat</CatalogFile>

<DriverVer>10/29/2011,5.0.0.0</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>applewtp.sys</ServiceBinary>

<isX64>yes</isX64>

</Name>

csteelooper wrote:

With device drivers, you can’t really afford to skimp on optimisation, as it is essential for all layers of the OS to really understand what is being asked by and/or for the device in question.

There has always been a 'closed' model to Apple drivers. It is used a marketing distinction. Gestures could be supported on Windows, but it has conciously not supported them, to keep such a distinction. OSes like Linux (and all such derivatives) have challenges in trying to fully exploit the hardware capabilities on Macs.

Apr 9, 2018 5:57 AM in response to igmackenzie

igmackenzie wrote:

I don't see where the confusion lies. Just use the one that is working! And in terms of expense, really? I mean you can buy a reasonable mouse for Windows use for a few pounds. Really not a big consideration!

$129 - Buy Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad for iMac in Silver - Apple

$129 - Buy Magic Trackpad for iMac in Silver - Apple

A USB-wired mouse is available for USD3. If I have $250+ invested in these two, it will not be used (or wasted) on Windows. macOS provides much richer functionality for both of these devices.

If M$ sees no value in testing/validating their updates on a Mac, the niche segment of BC/Windows users always suffer, whether it is a broken macOS update or a broken Windows Update. Neither am I a big fan of daily updates (or forced updates) from M$, a la Adobe.

Apr 9, 2018 6:05 AM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:

$129 - Buy Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad for iMac in Silver - Apple

$129 - Buy Magic Trackpad for iMac in Silver - Apple

A USB-wired mouse is available for USD3. If I have $250+ invested in these two, it will not be used (or wasted) on Windows. macOS provides much richer functionality for both of these devices.

Sorry Loner T, I really don't understand your point.

What we are saying is that you only need to spend a few pounds on a mouse for use in Windows until a fix is produced. MK works perfectly well in both OSs, it's just the MT2MM2 that screws things up in Windows. So, for that, just use a mouse as a pointing device. Probably costs less than $10. Doesn't affect your investment in the 2 Apple devices, both of which work perfectly well in macOS.

Mar 19, 2018 5:35 AM in response to mrandyflores

February 13, 2018—KB4074588 (OS Build 16299.248) has

• Improves and reduces conditions where certain Bluetooth keyboards drop keys during reconnection scenarios.
  • Corrects mouse delays for devices that incorrectly report the battery level status. (Is this the new BT LE/4.x causing issues?)

January 3, 2018—KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192) has

Addresses issue where the touch keyboard doesn’t support the standard layout for 109 keyboards.

It is unlikely that Microsoft tested these updates on a Mac with Bootcamp Windows. 😉

Apr 4, 2018 5:44 AM in response to ozziefromcharlotte

Would that work? I wonder… At the very least, you would sacrifice device-specific features. Furthermore, the Magic Mouse and the Magic Mouse 2 use the same device driver. So you would then have to use, for example, the Wireless Mighty Mouse driver for the mouse and the Apple Wireless Keyboard driver for the keyboard. To try if it works, I can help you in finding the Apple drivers.

1. go to Device Manager by right clicking the start button and choosing the corresponding option
  2. locate the Magic Mouse (or keyboard) in the device tree
  3. Right click the entry for the Magic Mouse (or Keyboard
  4. Select the Driver tab
  5. click Update Driver
  6. Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software
  7. Select Let Me Pick From A List Of Available Drivers On My Computer
  8. Click Have Disk…
  9. Point to the directory that holds the Apple Device Drivers
  10. Select the appropriate device

Apr 4, 2018 8:15 AM in response to csteelooper

Its coming back to me. It was the BLUETOOTH radio driver I updated, not the mouse driver. I think I also remember reading the specific windows update that originally affected this had some bluetooth security updates.

Anyway, I found the below in my browsing history, so these are the steps I likely followed. Like I said I got it to work for a few days, but then I started playing around with some settings and experimenting with various drivers and now I don't even see the Apple listed as a "manufacturer". In fact the list only has a few options now. I'll try to experiment with this next week when I get some time. I try to document and screen shot what I do in case I get it to work again.

-----------

From: Windows 10 update on bootcamp bluetooth issues fix - Microsoft Community

My bluetooth stopped working once windows 10 upgrade was installed. I found this simple fix:

• Open Device Manager, open the Bluetooth Radios subtree, right-click the "Apple Broadcom Built-in Bluetooth" icon, and choose the "Update Driver Software..." menu item.
  • Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  • Select "Apple Inc." for Manufacturer, and "Apple Built-in Bluetooth" for Model, and click Next.

After the driver installed, The device list sows "Apple Broadcom Built-in Bluetooth" had been replaced by "Apple Built-in Bluetooth" and "Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator" in the Bluetooth Radios subtree of Device Manager

Apr 8, 2018 8:36 AM in response to igmackenzie

igmackenzie wrote:

Carlos Garrido wrote:

Has this method worked for someone else? Does it keep working on all Windows startups or does it always have to be repeated?

On the other hand it is not clear to me the BT's disconnection order, I explain:

Restart into windows 10.----- (in this point the BT is on?)

Turn Bluetooth on and off.----- (is "on to off"?)

Plug in keyboard with lightening cable.----- (while BT is off?)

Hold the command and Eject Key on IMac Pro keyboard. ----- (while BT is off?)

Remove lightening cable .----- (connect in BT at this time?)

Done

Can someone explain it to me?

Sorry, I have no idea what you are trying to do! Can you explain what this procedure is trying to achieve?

Assuming both MT2/MK2 are paired in macOS,

• Switch to Windows
  • Turn BT Off
  • Connect MT2/MK2 using USB-to-Lightning cable.
  • Eject the MT2/MK2 devices using Command+Eject.
  • Disconnect Lightning cable
  • Turn BT On
  • Connect MT2/MK2 and test.

Apr 8, 2018 10:10 AM in response to igmackenzie

igmackenzie wrote:

Loner T wrote:

Assuming both MT2/MK2 are paired in macOS,

• Switch to Windows
  • Turn BT Off
  • Connect MT2/MK2 using USB-to-Lightning cable.
  • Eject the MT2/MK2 devices using Command+Eject.
  • Disconnect Lightning cable
  • Turn BT On
  • Connect MT2/MK2 and test.

That’s what he said, but what is he trying to achieve?

To get MT2/MK2 to work properly using BT, without Lightning cable.

Problem Bootcamp Windows 10 & Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.