Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Subtitles constantly revert to on (Netflix, Hulu, etc)

Subtitles on my AppleTV4 are on by default. For example, I start an episode of a TV show and the subtitles are on; I turn them off; then, when I start the next episode, they're back on again. I see this behavior on both Netflix and Hulu. I don't see this when I watch the same content on other devices so I know it's an Apple TV4 issue. It's very frustrating.

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 4:22 AM

Have you checked your preferences for both of those apps.

33 replies

Feb 5, 2016 9:01 AM in response to John Schur

Then you will need to contact Netflix and Hulu. Content providers develop and support their own apps rather than the device manufacturer as Apple has no input into how apps function...

do you have the same issue with iTunes movies? What about crackle or other streaming providers? There is only the one setting on the ATV device. But each app will vary based upon how the content provider designs the app to function - they could use the ATV setting or they could use their own. I know that for Netflix, it uses their own setting rather than the ATV. However, it did take a few different movies after I changed the setting on their website before it updated the actual playback on the ATV...

Feb 6, 2016 7:28 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:

Changing the setting on the website changed the functionality on my ATV4 and it has for others as well.

I recall a number of people saying it didn't and in fact it was settings on the Apple TV that they had overlooked that eventually corrected the matter.

OK? And I remember a number of users that it DID work for (including myself)- admittedly not all. However, that's why I offered it as a suggestion to the OP as a solution to their issue as it has worked for some - not to mention I haven't seen that all issues have been resolved the same way for all users. Does a solution have to work for EVERY person before its offered as a solution?

Feb 6, 2016 8:08 AM in response to Protodd

You seem to take my input personally.

Multiple services were mentioned (including the use of an etc.) in addition settings available for such services are different from one service to another, clearly there is evidence that people have found the solution both locally on the Apple TV and not. You stated that the appropriate setting were not on the Apple TV, I felt it was worthwhile mentioning that others had found differently and for the benefit of those who were asking (rather than to disagree with you), I chose to mention it.

FWIW, In respect of Netflix, I found no subtitle suggestions at the path you suggested, I also found that it depends on the movie whether or not it starts with subtitles or not and that the only place I can turn subtitles on or off is on the Apple TV.

User uploaded file

Feb 6, 2016 1:15 PM in response to John Schur

Here is what worked for me.

Begin watching a video where the subtitles are appearing.

On your Apple TV remote, swipe down on the touch pad. You will see a small menu open at the top of the screen on your tv. There are several settings on the screen, one of which is subtitles. Switch it to OFF.

You shouldn't have any problems after that.

Subtitles constantly revert to on (Netflix, Hulu, etc)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.