Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the app store not updating/downloading apps

It's been over a week. I have 35 apps that need to be updated and new apps I want to downloaded...and the app store is dead...just dead and useless. I've been researching the issue and none of the solutions I have skimmed over work. How can Apple let this just drag on?

In addition, I feel like as this has been happening, my battery seems to be draining much faster than usual. I can't help but speculate that something is going on in the background of this phone and it's software related.

If my version 9.2 isn't the latest, then my phone is not letting me check for a later version software (an error comes up when checking for software updates in the settings...that little wheel just keeps spinning than up pops an error message).

If this continues, I'll have to bring my phone back and I'm seriously considering going back to Android. I'm frustrated to say the least...and about to throw this gigantic brick of a phone off of the Bay Bridge. Help!

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 12:57 PM

73 replies

Feb 3, 2017 6:42 PM in response to Ssimon311

Obviously, this problem has been present for a long time as it is now 2017 and I've had the same issue over the past month. The recommendations Apple gives to everyone are the same useless update, restart, log out, log in circular pattern default solutions which many users will have already tried by the time they reach out to Apple. I've wasted at least an hour with Apple's tech expert going through these options without resolving the issue. He then promised to call back with more options but never did. I decided to wait for the new file system in iOS 10.3, but today after a month the problem just resolved itself without any action on my part. It is either a file system bug in iOS (which may explain why the next iOS is going to have a new file system for the first time) or an systemic error on the Apple servers, or the Apple servers have been updated prematurely to work with the new file system.

Apple's fear of class action means they never announce that they have made a major mistake affecting millions. Last year, there was a bug in an iOS update which made even brand new phones unable to be recognised as legitimate by Apple's activation servers. Genius Bar employees insisted that I must have done something unauthorised to the phone and they refused to exchange or refund it, leaving me with a $1000 paperweight. This also went on for more than a month, and hours of calls and a consultation in person. Then I saw an article in the tech press that iOS had an activation bug. Soon after, the next small iOS update solved the issue and Apple continued on as if it had never happened.

Apple is now run by a weak leader. Jobs may have had a personality disorder but his obsession with perfection may have safeguarded Apple against corporate selfdestruction.

Feb 17, 2017 10:52 AM in response to Coolbobcat2

I have the same issue also. I currently have 29 apps to be updated.

If I try to "update all" or update them individually, my iPhone becomes extremely unresponsive and slow.

If I "click" on the download "circle with box" to get the "update" box back, it resolves the iPhone performance issue.

I did a factory reset and restore 2 weeks ago based upon this issue. Updates worked fine for a few weeks.

However the issue is back. Obviously there is an OS or app issue.

Note: I also have this issue downloading a new app to my iPhone.

My iPhone OS, Mac OS, and iTunes version are all current.

Feb 25, 2017 9:45 PM in response to Ssimon311

Try turning off two factor authentication. I tried everything else and once I did this my apps started downloading again. It was a little slow at first but I had 55 updates and it took about 90 minutes.

Settings-->scroll down to iTunes and App Store-->click on Apple ID-->select view Apple ID-->it should take you to account settings. Select Apple ID again-->takes you to a website. Log-in with your Apple ID and password-->select security-->turn off two factor authentification-->follow steps.

I hope this works for others too!

May 11, 2017 11:44 PM in response to Ssimon311

Sadly this problem has been along for a very long time and it seems Apple isn't acknowledging it.

As you see the answer below you that is recommended by Apple, they offer the standard update to the newest version speech and if that doesn't work battery repair.

Sadly at this point all you can do is turn automatic updates off and when you manually update and an app is stuck pause or stop it. If you can pause/stop yet, uninstall the app and re-install it a few minutes later. So far that's the best way to deal with this.

Aug 14, 2017 8:26 PM in response to Ssimon311

I had 89 updates waiting for weeks, and was unable to update. Nothing helped. I have at&t and just moved to an area with poor reception. Found out my problem was that my data plan lowered my speed and that was main reason nothing would update. I also believe, but can't prove, that they are lowering the speed at high traffic times. Also, my only internet access currently is at local library or fast food. I am guessing library has a firewall preventing me from downloading updates, but not sure. Very slow at other places with wi-fi. But once I got more data on plan, was able to update all but 2 apps which are larger than 200 mb. You tell me. Just sharing my experience.

Sep 23, 2017 4:00 PM in response to Ssimon311

Try this

1) On the Device, in Settings. Either turn on App store Automatic updates. Or if it on, toggle it off and on again. You should now at least see the "count" of apps needing updates. But they may still not have an Update button when you go to App Store updates.

2). Power Cycle / Reboot the device by holding BOTH the home button and power button until the white boot screen shows.

3) verify you are reconnected to wifi, by using a browser. I've noticed there is a little lag on getting connected

4) go to the App Store and check for updates. The Update buttons should now show.

Oct 10, 2017 4:58 AM in response to Ssimon311

Hi,

So for those still struggling - I had this problem with the latest IOS.

Individually the Apple solutions didn’t work for me.. but before completely resetting my phone and losing it all (and hours of resetting), I tried a few things.

I fixed it on mine - trybthis sequence:

1) log out of App Store

2) restart phone

3) log in to App Store

Neither logging nor restarting worked on their own.. the combo was the key

Good luck all

Oct 10, 2017 5:56 AM in response to Ssimon311

I tried this and it works for me.

I deleted all the apps that stucks in App Store for updates, and redownloaded those apps.

The App Store started to work as normal again after I deleted those apps and I’m able to download new apps as well.

P/S: please back up data of some apps (for example whatsapp) before deleting.

Oct 18, 2017 11:22 PM in response to Turbinator

When upgrading to an iPhone 7P, I had this problem as well. Tried everything, talked to Apple support as well as second or third level support at my cellular carrier. Tried resetting phone, wiped the 6P to factory settings, tried anything. Nothing worked, until... Here's what worked for me:

1) Turned off Cellular Data, since the iPhone is made to seek WiFi downloading NOT cellular. Saves data plan if you're on one. In settings it's also a good idea to turn off WiFi Assist. Keeps data streams from being interrupted and getting corrupted.

2) Reset the router by unplugging, waiting for 60 seconds or so before plugging it back in. Unplugging most routers for one minute ensures a full reset.

3) Placed iPhone close to the router and apps started to download at warp speed.

All apps downloaded successfully, except for one that Apple messaged as needing to be upgraded by developer to work with iOS version (mine is 11.0.3).

To AVOID THIS ISSUE I suggest backing up your old iPhone, INCLUDING APPS, before switching over from one iPhone to another as a restore will, then, also restore your apps.

That's what worked for me and I hope it works for you. Oh, getting to this breakthrough took almost 13 hours, most of it on the phone with either Apple or my carrier, neither of which came up with the solution above.

Why is the app store not updating/downloading apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.