Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

verification Failed - this action cannot be completed

i'm getting this message every time i try to sign in my apple ID

and i don't know what is wrong with it .?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 25, 2016 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2017 10:31 PM

So i was having this exact problem. I came home and couldn't sign in on any device. reset my password online and still couldn't sign in. what i found to fix the problem is a workaround at best. i created a new Apple ID account and signed in with that. Then i signed out and signed back in with my original account. it worked. i had to do this on every device including my Apple TV 4.

48 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2017 10:31 PM in response to turki68

So i was having this exact problem. I came home and couldn't sign in on any device. reset my password online and still couldn't sign in. what i found to fix the problem is a workaround at best. i created a new Apple ID account and signed in with that. Then i signed out and signed back in with my original account. it worked. i had to do this on every device including my Apple TV 4.

Feb 16, 2017 7:59 PM in response to turki68

I just got a 7 Plus today and I finally managed to switch everything over from my 6S only to be continually getting a "Verification Failed" message every single time I try to log in to my iTunes account. I can get online on my Mac just fine, but the phone won't let me sign in, and I can't do anything at all. I just get stuck in a never-ending loop of "VERIFICATION FAILED" even though I know I'm entering the password correctly.

I've already contacted Apple Support, I don't have Two-Step Verification turned on (as a lot of other posts claimed as a source of the problem), and I don't know what else there is to do. Trying not to freak out TOO much, but also sort of failing on that end.

Hope it works out for you.

Feb 16, 2017 8:24 PM in response to keenfrenzy

SAME HERE, I even changed my password thinking maaaybe something was up on that end, but still nothing. All my friends seem to be texting me fine and as best as I can tell none of them are having this problem right now, but it does seem strange that suddenly this problem is arising across multiple people's iOS devices tonight. Maybe it's an issue with Apple?

I'm too frustrated to keep messing with my phone (I mean it's a bUMMER because it doesn't work and it's like haha okay DEPRESSING MUCH), so I'm just calling it a night for now and leaving everything turned off, and hopefully things will be better in the morning and if not I'll try and call Apple and see if something's up. Ugh. It's sort of a relief to know I'm not the only one with this problem right now, though!

Feb 16, 2017 8:17 PM in response to turki68

I'm also getting this same error, starting this evening. I haven't replaced any devices recently; it just suddenly started telling me Verification Failed when I try to access my iCloud/iTunes accounts on my iPhone 6s or my iPad mini. I can login just fine on my Mac and through the web. Even tried resetting my password and that didn't make any difference at all. Not sure what is going on, but it does seem weird that 3 different people have now added a "me too" to this post on the same night after several months of the thread being dormant.

Feb 16, 2017 8:40 PM in response to samanthadani

I'm only having this issue on one device...out of 3. However, when I went to sign in here it used the 2 step verification process. It sent a verification code to the device I am having issues with, I entered it, and it told me the verification code was incorrect. I tried this twice. Finally, I had a text sent to my phone (which in addition to this device is okay) which I entered and it worked just fine. The device having issues is an iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5. Since this issue is happening to others with different devices and probably iOS versions, I'm guessing it is indeed an issue with Apple. Hope they fix it soon.

Feb 16, 2017 9:05 PM in response to turki68

I see I'm in good company. Phone started doing the same thing, I've even reset my password three times and still the same "verification failed." I've been fooling with this thing going on almost four hours. I'm done. This is clearly a system issue somewhere in their ecosystem (even though their system says there are no issues). I'm going to call it a night. Maybe they'll quietly fix it by tomorrow morning. Maybe.

Feb 16, 2017 9:11 PM in response to Walk

honestly, it's such a relief to know it's not just me. I was so worried I'd somehow managed to screw up restoring from a backup and I was like I KNOW I'VE DONE THIS SO MANY TIMES BEFORE BUT CLEARLY I MESSED THIS UP, but at least there's comfort in numbers to an extent, and while it definitely doesn't make it better or resolve the issue, at least it does show that there IS an issue going on. hopefully it's fixed soon - having a phone that's rendered completely and totally unusable is going to get really old really fast.

Feb 16, 2017 9:52 PM in response to turki68

Much like others are saying...I went to purchase a song, asked me to enter password but wouldn't accept it. changed it, still same error message. password is accepted on 5 other devices immediately after changing it, all able to download from the app store...iphone 4 up to MacBook pro. the device not working is an iphone 6+ updated to latest iOS as of tonight as well. Also as others have said this has left me dead in the water not able to really do anything with it, it appears. What's up Apple? Please fix!

verification Failed - this action cannot be completed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.