Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't login to iMessage and FaceTime

My mac won't let me login.

I had tried:

• Updating
  • Restart
  • Turn off/on iCloud
  • Reset my Mac.

But it keep standing like this forever:

User uploaded file

Do anyone know what to do??

I run on a MacBook Air 11" from 2015 on OS X El Capitan

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), from early 2015

Posted on Mar 22, 2016 12:06 PM

104 replies

Mar 13, 2017 12:52 PM in response to Janicemw1031

Hi,

This thread is not going to help you with an iPhone 6 and it's version of Messages.

The whole thread is about Messages on a Mac (Computer).

User uploaded file

7:52 pm Monday; March 13, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

May 30, 2017 3:34 PM in response to cmch0320

Here are the instructions for what finally worked for me (OS X 10.11.6 Macbook Air late 2011):

Removing Configuration Files:

• Turn off Wi-Fi from the menu bar.
  • Navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ in Finder by pressing ⌘ + Shift + G.
  • Select the following files
    • com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
    • com.apple.network.identification.plist
    • com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist
    • NetworkInterfaces.plist
    • preferences.plist
  • Copy these files in a safe location so that if anything gets messed up, you can easily restore them.
  • Delete the files.
  • Reboot your Mac and enable Wi-Fi again.

These instructions were from here: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/11/wi-fi-problems-mac-os-x-yosemite.html ( I only found 4 /5 but it worked nonetheless).

Apr 24, 2017 2:04 AM in response to Amanda Schubert

Same here.....

i think that is Apple servers fault, maybe they have problems with efficiency, to many computers wants to activate iMessage and FaceTime

I've downgraded (clean install) OSX to 10.11.3 and problem still occur, so this is no software issue

Jan 16, 2017 11:43 AM in response to Amanda Schubert

Even though this concern was posted a while ago, I figured I would chime in in hopes of saving some people the runaround. Especially if they are travelers. I had this problem too, and fixed it by making sure the date and time were correct. Sounds simple, though its odd that the two should be related. For some other technical reason, my date and time did not update automatically as it normally does when I returned from abroad. In the time and date setting, enable the manual option and click on the correct time zone on the map, then recheck the automatic option. This will hopefully solve the issue for many of you. Cheers

Apr 3, 2017 12:26 PM in response to polarbreeze1

polarbreeze1,

Thank you so much!

I've had this problem for over a year (MBP 13" Late 2012 running 10.11.6) and have gone through so-so many calls to Apple support . Have tried everything from deleting "Library/Application Support/iCloud/Accounts" and all keychains, system updates (but within El Capitain - as I could not upgrade to Sierra due to being locked out of the App Store... and also compatibility issues with some apps I run for my work), multiple SMC & PRAM resets, genius bar visits, loads of library file deletes, uninstalled a lot of apps, paid for new IO board & all sorts of diagnostics in multiple chat and phone sessions with Apple support staff.

One level one service person even insisted that I reseat my RAM, which is not possible with my MBP, they even sent me a how-to after I pointed out that the RAM was soldered in.

Anyway, your solution worked first time - so thank you again.

Meanwhile, it's slightly annoying that Apple Support knew of this issue but failed to make that info available to their wider team for their troubleshooting.

If I could buy you a beer I would. Thanks again!

Mar 22, 2016 2:58 PM in response to Amanda Schubert

Hi All,

Another thread suggests that a Contact with Apple Support suggests there may be an issue with these two apps in the OS X 10.11.4 update.

Try the Combo Update Download OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 Combo Update

User uploaded file

9:58 pm Tuesday; March 22, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Can't login to iMessage and FaceTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.