Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant login to iMessage or Facetime

I did a clean install of 10.11.4 on my MBP. I then used migration assistant to move over apps and settings from a time machine backup of the same MBP running 10.11.3.

Now I can't login to iMessage or FaceTime. I can log in to iCloud fine.

I have tried:

logging out of iCloud & back in

Date & time set correctly and to Automatic

resetting keychain

resetting nvram

rebooting numerous times

rebooting to safe mode. I couldn't log into either in safe mode

set up a new user and tried to log in.

probably some other thing I can't remember because I have been at this for a few hours.

I am sure that the clean install and/or the migration assistant borked something but I am out of ideas.

Any other ideas?
Thanks

Posted on Mar 22, 2016 3:22 PM

15 replies

Mar 23, 2016 7:30 AM in response to antknee869

Same exact thing here

- Reformat & fresh install of 10.11.4

- Messages and Facetime won't accept a login

- I have 2 factor authorisation enabled on my apple id, and the 1st time I tried logging into Messages it requested a code, which my phone received OK, but after I entered it into Messages on my Mac it just hung, no activity... now it just won't log in at all

Mar 23, 2016 11:29 AM in response to antknee869

People visiting this forum, if u have 10.11.4 with THIS EXACT PROBLEMS. Stop trobleshooting imediately, have a drink and realize thatt there is no fix at all, the inly is to preasure apple to fix it, the issue comes from the OS. EVERYONE AND I REALLY MEAN IT, are experiencing the exact same issue... Again dont waste more time, if u do decide to waste more time on it, perhaps that time could be better used pressuring apple to do something about it, and stop rushing updates that basically bring more bugs than those that are supposed to fix.

Mar 23, 2016 3:01 PM in response to Diegosos

I have just done a complete rebuild of my rMBP and have the same problems, so wish I had found this thread sooner! I started the installer download at 1pm yesterday and gave up at 6pm today...

I tried Two Factor Authentication (2FA) and keychain reset, but that just made for an incredible number of entries of my AppleID password. I also tried App Specific Passwords (ASP) that we used to have to use.

Not sure if I revert to my last good clone or wait it out for Apple to fix it.

Mar 24, 2016 2:53 PM in response to papjo

Hi,

To be clear iMessages has it own servers.

You can be logged out of your Apple ID on one device for one service.

I actually use a different ID in iMessages to the one I use in iCloud and iTunes (all different servers).

Obviously there is a check to see that the ID and password are valid but iMessages also uses the devices Serial Number as part of the Login checks.

User uploaded file

9:53 pm Thursday; March 24, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Mar 27, 2016 10:59 AM in response to papjo

Hi,

Whilst the ID might be the iCloud one the iMessages servers are not iCloud related.

In System Preferences > iCloud there is no option to enable the ID for Messages, (or FaceTime, iTunes, the App Store of the Game Centre).

Nor does it feature one the web login https://www.icloud.com/

It's a bit like having your Google Id as your Apple /iCloud ID, It can be used on different servers.

That was the point I was making.

User uploaded file

6:59 pm Sunday; March 27, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jul 17, 2016 11:11 AM in response to maryrose56

Hi,

If you have tried and NVRAM reset and a Safe Boot plus tried the same ID in another Mac User on your computer AND the Serial Number can be seen then the only recourse is to contact Apple Support (Apple Care).

The Level 1 responders are Script led and will try to charge if you don't have Apple Care that is current.

However Apple ID issues are free to fix and this happens to be an Apple ID issue.

The Mac uses the Apple Serial Number to create and device specific Login.

If the servers don't like this for any reason they will lock the device out of the server.

It will only be the iMessages server AND only for one device.

The Level 1s will still try and get you to do things on their Script.

Ask to speak to someone higher.

Some Level 2s do know about this issue not all do.

At OS X 10.8.2 they also used to reset the iMessages server if you asked them.

This no longer happens and if they do involve the Engineers early on in your conversation it is likely you will still be asked to try things and do data grabbing exercises. (Apple know it happens but not why as it seems to effect people randomly)

Insist that the server is reset.

Judging by other people who post back about their experiences, you can be told a reset can take between 24 hours and 5 days.

There is no "Fix" within the app and Reinstalling, Upgrading or just Updating will no t fix the issue as it is the Server end.

User uploaded file

7:11 pm Sunday; July 17, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Cant login to iMessage or Facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.