Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

text message notifications not appearing on iPhone 6

When I receive a text message on my phone, I do not get a notification or the sound I've associated with texts. This started on my iPhone 5 two weeks ago and it continued with my new iPhone 6s. In the notification center I have "Allow Notifications" on, as well as, "Lock Screen" and "Show Previews." Since its continued into the new phone I'm certain I'm missing something in the settings but I can't figure out what could be.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3

Posted on Mar 24, 2016 2:47 PM

32 replies

Jun 9, 2017 6:13 PM in response to Banzai25

It is bs that they are covering up have had similar issues starting with 4's and they told me that had to restart form scratch loosing all of the data i.e. angry birds and any other games by doing a factory reset. Home PC is a Microsoft product as living in Redmond but have had enough of the iPhone ******** to our eyes starting with first generation iPad (which works flawlessly) and iPods but they have done something differently to the new generation iPhones which have been struggling with for sometime now and has migrated to my wife's iPhone and the same to my work on and still do not see any fixes other than totally restoring the devise NOT A OPTION! This will end our Apple experience since our first computer purchase which was a Apple 2 GS. They need to dig up Jobs and resituate him.

Sep 18, 2017 4:53 PM in response to Banzai25

I was having the same issue. It started out of the blue. I would not get a text message alert or notification - after hours of trying many different things this is what I ended up doing. I first backed up my phone, then I updated to the newest update available. I ended up having to reset my network settings and then doing a hard reset. I am now receiving my messages with alerts.

Mar 24, 2016 2:52 PM in response to Banzai25

I've noticed, when I change sounds for various alerts, I have to change it in two places.

Settings > Notifications > Messages > Sounds

-and-

Settings > Sounds > Text Tone

That may help with you not getting the sound you associated with Texts/iMessages.

As for why you're not getting any text notifications at all... Did you make sure Do Not Disturb is off? Do you have an Apple Watch?

Mar 24, 2016 3:14 PM in response to Banzai25

In the iPhone Settings, go to Notifications > Messages. I'm pretty sure you already addressed this, but is "Allow Notifications" on?

It's weird (to me) that you're not getting notifications on your lock screen of your iPhone or your Watch. Sounds related. I'm hoping someone else will chime in with additional suggestions (beyond restarting your device).

text message notifications not appearing on iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.